• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you practice putting?

jdc03270

Bogey Member
This is what my brother and I do. We stand a distance back and throw the discs at each other. The person who is getting the discs thrown at him can't move or grab the discs and has to take the hit. (except the head) This works great! Last time we played I took one in the arm, shin, and belly and my bro took two in the belly,one in the knee, and one in the arm. fun fun.:)

We stand a distance back and throw the discs at each other. The person who is getting the discs thrown at him can't move or grab the discs and has to take the hit. (except the head)

hey jdc, thats a great idea. i take my putters with me to work. in the hospital we have hampers with lids. at the end of the day, when cases are done, i toss at the lid standing up right, let it fall thru the hole in the hamper. gotta wipe things down 1st, hospitals arent exactly clean:eek:

I put up a basket in my back yard and play "around the world" shooting from several spots. Best putting practice I've found entails starting from distances that build confidence. Once you can make 7 or more out of 10, you can move further away.

Throwing discs at one another huh? Haha! Funny!

Keep on chain smokin' friends...

I tried something different today:

I took my basket to the practice field to practice some putting. I have been having trouble deciding what putter to go with , because I have about 13 diffrent putters.

I set up the basket, and used a tape measure and some soccer cones to measure out every 10ft from 20-50 feet. I then made a chart on a legal tablet. I wrote down the name of each putter on the side, and across the top I made several columns. I made a 20ft,30,40 and 50ft column. I put a folding chair next to the 20ft cone, and put all the putters on the chair. I threw all the putters and wrote down if each one hit, or missed the basket. I then went to the next cone, and did the same thing. After 4 rounds, I got rid of a few of the bad preforming discs, and started over again.
After doing this for an hour and half and after 260 putts, I found one putter what was shooting at about 70%. That is the putter that is now in my bag.

Just something different.
Now my arm hurts. :(

I took my basket to the practice field to practice some putting. I have been having trouble deciding what putter to go with , because I have about 13 diffrent putters.

I set up the basket, and used a tape measure and some soccer cones to measure out every 10ft from 20-50 feet. I then made a chart on a legal tablet. I wrote down the name of each putter on the side, and across the top I made several columns. I made a 20ft,30,40 and 50ft column. I put a folding chair next to the 20ft cone, and put all the putters on the chair. I threw all the putters and wrote down if each one hit, or missed the basket. I then went to the next cone, and did the same thing. After 4 rounds, I got rid of a few of the bad preforming discs, and started over again.
After doing this for an hour and half and after 260 putts, I found one putter what was shooting at about 70%. That is the putter that is now in my bag.

Wow thats crazy, but a very thorough approach! What putter ended up in the bag?

Wow thats crazy, but a very thorough approach! What putter ended up in the bag?

Beleive it or not, I came back to my Star Coyote. I know its not a regular putter, but it has the same profile as an Innova XD. It feels good in my hand, and hit the basket more than the others. I still use an Soft Magnet as my approach disc. I had it custom dyed about 6 months ago. They guy who dyed it for me was really cool. Check out the disc and the return address he put on the envelope:

Batmandisc1-1.jpg

BruceWayne.jpg

Man bro, this was great. I loved reading this. Kudos BRO!!!!!

First off the Mark Ellis video is a great resource for improving your putting game. He makes a really good point about how far out from the basket you should be setting up for your putts when practicing. You should be making more putts then missing (It's all about confidence) otherwise you should inch up towards the basket some. After you find that comfortable distance, like Cpaquette said above, once you can make 7 out of 10 you might want to think about stepping back a few feet.

What also helps is to have two baskets set up in your backyard such that you can just putt back and forth much like horseshoes. I have a very loving wife who hooked me up with a couple of instep baskets on two separate occasions. Needless to say my putting game has improved by leaps and bounds but still has a long ways to go.

What also helps is to have two baskets set up in your backyard such that you can just putt back and forth much like horseshoes. I have a very loving wife who hooked me up with a couple of instep baskets on two separate occasions. Needless to say my putting game has improved by leaps and bounds but still has a long ways to go.

I was thinking this same thing. It sounds like a great idea.

You could probably apply this same exercise with your drivers to figure out which goes farthest, straightest, turns over, etc. That would really make your arm hurt :)

When You practice You want to throw a high quantity from a fairly close distance (I like 15') to build up muscle memory and confidence. Don't overthink it. Quantity is the key. It's more like darts than anything else.

If I could putt like I can throw darts I'd be "on the tour." Oh, wait... my drives are weak too. :p

You could probably apply this same exercise with your drivers to figure out which goes farthest, straightest, turns over, etc. That would really make your arm hurt :)

I actually do this to see what discs fit in my bag and for what purpose. I check straight shots, annys, hyzers, short, far, approach, ect. It really works. The course is not the place to learn, its the place to put to use what you learned on the practice field.

I hang a 5 gallon bucket from a tree in my backyard, and putt from behind a broomstick. Every one I make I move the broomstick back. Every one I miss I move it forward. The neighbors think Im a rocket scientist..haha

When I practice with a friend we use 4 discs each and play a game of P-I-G or H-O-R-S-E. Whoever decides to throw first, throws all 4 discs from the same position into the basket, the next person throws from the same postion and must equal the same amount of baskets. If the you come up short any number of throws you recieve a letter. If you beat the number of baskets, the other person recieves a letter AND you control the basket next. Thats the basic rules we play, if anyone else is interested, I can go into more detail. But for the most part, that is how we practice our puts and works good for us and also fun. Its also a good way to beat a tie breaker if you got a lunch bet on the line...

i practice putting my standing in my kitchen and throwing into the bedroom and try to land my disc onto a small throw pillow. that is until i get a real basket.

I take 2 putters and fire away from 10-15' for 15 minutes or so...then back up a little and go another 15 minutes on the practice basket. Then I go out on the course and putt horribly.

Latest posts