• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you throw tight fairways?

Scott is right, it is amazing how much tight fairways open up when you know exactly what you want to do.

Sure, most of us are probably still only 60% want/do ratio but it is better than the 10-20% want/do you will get from second guessing.

One thing I've learned from painful experience at my home course, which is all heavily wooded, is all mental: make sure you're fully committed to the line you're trying to hit before you start your throwing motion. If you're vacillating between throwing to the left or right of a particular tree, or trying to choose between two different lines, and there's still any doubt or hesitancy in your mind when you start to throw, as often as not you'll split the difference and drive it straight into the tree you were trying to miss.

Well said...

Take all the courses in your area and put them on a scale from 1 - 10 with 10 being the tightest and 0 being the most open. Most people, except the homeboys, tend to stay away from the courses in the 8-10 range because they are simply not as fun. What I have found is that if you play those tighter courses (8-10) more frequently, the fairways on the 5-7 courses get much wider and the 1-4 courses become almost boring. If you always play the 1-4 courses then the fairways on the 5-7 courses will seem much narrower and the 8-10 courses will seem impossible. It's almost like your tricking your own brain.

Take all the courses in your area and put them on a scale from 1 - 10 with 10 being the tightest and 0 being the most open. Most people, except the homeboys, tend to stay away from the courses in the 8-10 range because they are simply not as fun. What I have found is that if you play those tighter courses (8-10) more frequently, the fairways on the 5-7 courses get much wider and the 1-4 courses become almost boring. If you always play the 1-4 courses then the fairways on the 5-7 courses will seem much narrower and the 8-10 courses will seem impossible. It's almost like your tricking your own brain.
word:clap:

Haha thats true. But a quarter inch limb or a few leaves will stop a JLS dead in it's tracks. A wraith tends to be more resiliant through the light stuff.

I throw a putter on this hole:

Hole_6.jpg

I've been throwing my XS for tunnels but now I have some Stalkers on the way and I'm pretty sure those are going to replace the XS for any shots that have to go dead straight and long.

I have really begun to like the hyzer flip with my beat up dx beast. The hole needs to be longer than about 250 for this to be ok, but it flips up and flies nice and flat for a long ways. I hve found it to be easier than throwing a nice straight flier like my spider, because I have a tendency to turn it over too much.

Thats easy...if its real tight(5') and short a roc, if any bigger to about 325 a TL and if its longer a star boss

Man I wouldn't throw anything on that hole

That is a really cool hole, where is that?

Mcclain park in San Antonio...hole 6 or 7. Its a little roc shot or a firechicken skip shot

If it's really tight and fairly short, I'll throw a hard, low tomahawk. I'd rather have it tail off wrong 200' down the fairway than try to throw a backhand and hit the first tree because I got psyched out. I can't generate enough speed with my flick to throw it down a tight fairway.

One thing I have found that works in the past is if you take a DX or Pro Valk, at max weight, and toss it across a parking lot, and hit a few trees with it, and it will fly straight as an arrow for quite a while. When it starts to turn over, loose it, or give it away, and go get another one, and repeat the process. They are cheap enough to be disposable.

I also have found that my Star Coyote will fly dead straight for quite a ways with great glide.

I like using the sidewinder. I release it with a large anhyzer and it flattens out pretty quick.

I will try to throw a TL or Leopard if really tight. I have been know to whip out my Avair many times because I know that it will go dead straight. Though with that it can't be a low ceiling or else I can't get it that far.