• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far am I supposed to throw before I use 11+ speed

mohmandm

Par Member
I understand I need to increase arm strength to throw the faster discs. I am finally getting there so I am wondering what distance I should throw before I use wraith, destroyer, force, boss etc. I have used a wraith forever and am finally throwing it with enough snap to have it anhyzer and go around 350'. Am I supposed to be throwing it a longer distance? Should I be using a different disc? My furthest flying disc is a esp flash. I can get 350-375' pretty consistently. I also have a 169g star destroyer that I can throw 350'. Should I just be using the flash?

I'd say if you're throwing a Destroyer 350 consistently, you're doing pretty well and can consider throwing most anything that's out there. I would try an R pro Boss as opposed to a champ boss however...totally different discs. Get a mid 150's/160ish and throw it with just the slightest bit of hyzer and watch that ridiculous little disc go 400 feet for you!

I have a 161g r pro boss and I throw it with some hyzer... It turns over completely and hits the dirt. I'm thinking of making it my first roller disc

I have a 161g r pro boss and I throw it with some hyzer... It turns over completely and hits the dirt. I'm thinking of making it my first roller disc

Really, I've got a 160 and I've got a buddy with a 154 and with a little bit of hyzer and a ton of snap, that thing does the most amazign S curve and is a consistent 370 for me and 400 for him...about 25-40 feet further than our average good drives...maybe you're just using a bit much hyzer? As I said, I use the slightest bit...but if I throw it with an anny, it almost always turns over...

It really depends on how far you're throwing your slower discs like putters, mids and slower fairway drivers.

The only throw I've had with a Star Destroyer that wasn't an anhyzer that flattend out to go as far as a Gazelle (350') or a hyzer was a freak straight shot that I threw flat and "hit it" just right and got about 400' with the disc not going much more than 5'-6' off the ground. So I wouldn't say I can control it at all FWIW.

Got my R-Pro boss the other day. 150 g. It's like throwing a Planters peanut lid the plastic is so soft. My normal driver is a 172 Pro-Destroyer that I can get out there around 420 - 460...but waynewf is right...I hyzer flip it and it goes and goes.

I agree with the r-pro bosses. I seem to turnover the 150 I got and still learning to hyzer flip it but the 160 I can throw flat and it turns just a bit then flattens out and goes and goes. I can hit the 350's with it consistently and hopefully as my form improves i can get to the 400's.

Sometimes speed rating is only one factor. The Flash is obviously working for you so...
The Wraith is not too much faster in my opinion so it just may be that the Flash is better fitted to your particular way of throwing. Differences is stability from disc to disc could be a factor as well. You may have to beat that Wraith in before yo can realize its potential. The Destroyer is a step up from the Wraith so it would seem to follow that speed rating could have more of an impact there.

Don't let the numbers get into your head too much. Early on I thought it would be months and maybe years until I could throw a Wraith correctly. Turns out all I needed was a decent amount of field practice (~a month and a half's worth) to refine form and snap and all of the sudden chucking Wraiths was like nothing.

joes flight chart says, to get the disc to do what it is supposed to do (which is a matter of opinion) the wraith is good for a 325-375ft thrower, while the boss and destroyer are good for 375+, but take it at face value what works for "joe" might not for you...

I understand I need to increase arm strength to throw the faster discs. I am finally getting there so I am wondering what distance I should throw before I use wraith, destroyer, force, boss etc.

For me it's not about distance. It's control. If/when you can control the fastest thing in your bag, then it's time to move to something faster or more stable. Due to injuries I've had to start over a couple of times. This method worked the best for me. HTH

joes flight chart says, to get the disc to do what it is supposed to do (which is a matter of opinion) the wraith is good for a 325-375ft thrower, while the boss and destroyer are good for 375+, but take it at face value what works for "joe" might not for you...

"Joe" is Blake Takkunen, the guy who runs discgolfreview.com and who has trained over 600 players. He is the man.

Listen to "Joe."

I throw my star Destroyer(171g) further then all off my other drivers.My personal best distance throw was made with my star Destroyer.Faster discs holds the speed longer but you must be able to give them what they need to stay on track.

R Pro plastic is garbage. Avoid it whenever possible.

r-pro isnt by any means durable, ill give you that... the r-pro boss is pretty much impossible to keep sharp... mine lasted about 1 month with 5-6 rounds a week. R-pro feels AMAZING though. Best grip Innova has. If you get an R-pro in a non driver disc, i have it in the Cro, its perfect.

The Flash is pretty similar to an Orc. So the Wraith is just slightly faster and if you are happy with the control you have with the Flash I'd say you could move up. I prefer throwing slower discs because I get about the same distance with more control. My farthest and most accurate driver is my 170g Champ Teebird and hit 400' on flat ground. I've gotten my R-pro Boss about the same D but no consistency. My Sidewinder is the fastest disc I carry. I don't think I've even seen a top pro carry a Boss.

Yeah. The Wraith should be traveling about 350', Destroyer 375', and Boss 400' or so from my experience. That's not exact by any means, but if you can't throw them that far, I would suggest to reconsider throwing the disc.

Yeah. The Wraith should be traveling about 350', Destroyer 375', and Boss 400' or so from my experience. That's not exact by any means, but if you can't throw them that far, I would suggest to reconsider throwing the disc.

Just a couple things. I would agree that ideally those would be the distances seperating those particular discs, but I would also point out that even though I can't obtain those distances, I use each of those discs and I usually maintain that type of seperation between them. For instance, I can throw the Boss and destroyer anywhere from 300' to 360', the Boss seems to hold a straighter line and is more consistently in the 350 range. I have a Valk that I'm just learning to throw, and it's ususally just a little shorter than those two.

I guess my point is that for distance, these are still my go-to discs even though I can't satisfy the potential that they offer. I could never get close to 360' throwing a fairway driver. My best with a Tee bird or Leopard is between 280-300'.

I'll also say that even if you're throwing those discs that far, there's no problem with throwing slower discs as your distance driver instead. In my last couple practice sessions I've been getting my Rocs out to 330'-350' about a third of the time but I still prefer speed 9 or 10 discs for distance drivers.