• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you comfortably & accurately throw?

Joseph_2880

I have been working on my distance drives for a while now and I can throw 250 feet accurately about 4 out of 5 throws now. BUT I AM STUCK :wall: , once in a while I will hit a 300 footer but I am becoming afraid I will not be able to improve my distance any more than this and still be somewhat accurate.
I would like to know if this distance is average or if I could definitely find another way to improve it. So I would like to know how far everyone can throw, somewhat accurately, consistently…Drive after Drive?
I always assumed nearly any regular disc golf player would be able to hit 350 accurately easily. Am I wrong? Lets Please Be Honest Here People.

Get ready for a load of donkey crap, internet distance, and dreams posted below. Subtract eehhhhh, 100ft from most people's answers and it might be more accurate. Just kidding man, my advice would be to take some video of your drive and then you can get some legitimate help, it's hard to give advice when we can't see your form.

Until then, check out some videos of pros and see if you can catch something you are doing wrong, or not doing. Keep your head up, distance comes with time, rarely do people find "one" thing they are doing and go out and increase their d by 50-150ft.

You would be amazed by the percentage of disc golfers that can't throw 350' regularly.

I like to place benchmarks on my distance performance based on each disc. It creates a fluid mental approach, and has helped build confidence in my game instead of concentrating on my personal "Max Distance".

For example, I aim to throw my putters 250+, my mids 300+, my fairways 350+, etc.

This season, I threw exclusively putters on most rounds. When you begin to throw putters 200', the others shots in your bag will fall into place.

Keep practicing! It sounds like you are progressing just fine!

Last edited:
You are wrong. :). The vast majority of golfers are chilling around 300-350'. And that's more than enough to throw a decent round.

Myself, I throw 400' fairly accurately. Max around 450-470.

Keep at it and you will get better! Don't throw your arm off, just keep working on technique.

It's the "accurately" part that really limits me. I'm at about 8'.

I have been working on my distance drives for a while now and I can throw 250 feet accurately about 4 out of 5 throws now. BUT I AM STUCK :wall: , once in a while I will hit a 300 footer but I am becoming afraid I will not be able to improve my distance any more than this and still be somewhat accurate.
I would like to know if this distance is average or if I could definitely find another way to improve it. So I would like to know how far everyone can throw, somewhat accurately, consistently…Drive after Drive?
I always assumed nearly any regular disc golf player would be able to hit 350 accurately easily. Am I wrong? Lets Please Be Honest Here People.

"Average" is pretty vague. Average of what? All disc golfers? Tournaments players? DGCR forum posters? Serious disc golfers (whatever that might mean)?

But the answer is whether you can find a way to improve your distance is probably, yes. Subject to your own athletic ability, of course. If you're a reasonably fit and athletic male, aged 12-50 or 60, with practice and technique you'll probably throw further.

In answer to your general question, I drive about 260' consistently and fairly accurately, and will occasionally push 300'. But age and injuries have taken their toll; 12 years ago I was driving 300-330', and that with DX Eagles and Gazelles, meaning my decline has been even greater than it looks, but masked by technology.

I'd say I am comfortable out to 340-350 area. Normally, I just shoot for that range unless the hole is a wide open bomber. I'd rather get closer to the basket than worry about trying to bomb it over 400 or so feet and missing my line or hitting crap.

In terms of increasing distance, proper foot work, a good reach back(but don't over reach) and a good follow through are what I find to be beneficial in gaining distance and accuracy. The towel drill will also help you find that snap point too.

Last edited:
250'-300', occasionally I will go longer but it's not accurate or reliable

You would be amazed by the percentage of disc golfers that can't throw 350' regularly.

its weird because I think a ton of DG'ers can actually throw further than they think.. just in an open field.

I can do like 380+ with distance drivers like the wraith in an open field, and even consistently put it near the soccer nets/goal posts/target area... but the second I set foot on a DG course and have something to aim at my range decreases drastically.

so that 275ft hole? I'm usually parking a teebird about 10-20ft in front of it. even that open 500ft par three I try to throw hard but usually end up getting about just over 300ft on the first drive off the tee.

The way I see it, anyone who can throw 300' consistently and accurately should be inside the putting circle on a flat ground 600' hole after two throws on a regular basis.

How far you can throw a disc when you're not aiming at anything is irrelevant to the sport of disc golf, IMO.

375'

You will hit walls and later break them when you least expect it. Keep practicing good form. Slow down your throws. a loss of 30' now from slower slows and little walk up will result in a big payout.

This.

Also, a lot of courses will place more emphasis on being able to hit a 250' straight shot than being able to throw 350-400' on any line.

It's one of the frustrating things about my transition from Ohio to NC. Yeah, I can throw 500', but I think I've played two holes out of 15 new courses in NC where that matters. Glad I spent all that time in the field :p

Accurately? Maybe 300' on a good day. If I just lay into one and huck it maybe 350 or 375, but don't expect any degree of accuracy. I hear a lot of people talk big distance, and I feel lame being able to throw only a little over 300, but honestly the more I play the more I realize that most of the people telling me they throw out over 400 regularly are full of it. Of course a lot of people can, but keep in mind that there are quite a few big talkers out there too.

accurately about 350 feet most every time. i can easily throw 400 feet. but not that accurately. i have had a couple nice shots hit about 450-480 range. that is when my mechanics are perfect.

I can only throw accurately 300-320 with my Valkyrie (which is my main driver). I'm 53 and only been playing for 4 years and I have improved and maybe as time goes on I'll get a few more feet, but I'm no longer worried about it. I throw my mids 260-270 with very good accuracy.

It's funny, I watch people play and see how far they drive and while I see many who can get 30-50 feet further than me, I have seen very few who "bomb" drives, I could count those on one hand and still have fingers left.

Knowing your true distance is very important on a course, it's something I carried over from ball golf. It's fun to hear someone say they just threw 375 on a 405ft hole and still have 150 to the pin!

Part of the reason I don't go for big bombs is exactly what the OP is having issues with...I lose control.

Here's a tip that I never see on here, but helped me immensely: master the anhyzer. If you can get to the point where you can throw any disc on a big, sweeping anny line (which is one of the toughest shots to perfect, in my opinion) you will have enough control to accurately throw your discs well past 300 feet.

I am able to pinpoint my Terns out to 375 average. It wasn't putter only u til you can throw them a quarter mile, it wasn't hours of field practice, it wasn't discing down to a beach Frisbee or any of the other old tropes that did it for me...it was anhyzers. Learn your body, learn your discs.

OP: you are doing GREAT, trust me. The fact that you recognize flaws and are willing to work to improve puts you one or two steps ahead of 95 percent of the disc golfers out there. Don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect!

My advice; video yourself. You can learn so much about little things in your form that are holding you back. And some of the guys on here like Mike C among many have some great form tips if you wanted to post it.

I throw mainly FH and I usually go from 400-425 on an average flat ground field drive. I've hit as far as 450 or a bit over but not too often.

BH it's more like 340-370 and I can hit 400 on occasion.

Working on both though, I've started learning a FH Hyzerflip and I think I might be able to throw close to 500 when I figure out the right release angle.

Latest posts