• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you comfortably & accurately throw?

Accuracy and distance depend upon the type of course I am playing. The course at the school were I work is very open and I can birdie the straight(ish) 300'-325' holes regularly enough with my star eagle. But when I go one of the wooded courses (like Fort Steilacoom) I come crashing down to 150' and wonder what happened as the discs go bouncing off trees.
The short of it, take trees into consideration when judging your game.

Measure it on a football field and also by course measurements and Google earth. Just depends on where I am at the time and the resources I have access to. Will be buying some string here soon for measuring wherever I want.

i wish blue ribbon would make their driving range markers longers. im sick of not doing what i hit after 600

Serious answer? About 350' with PDs. Sure, I can go over 400' with a trespass, but not with the accuracy I'd like.

For feedback and form analysis, post up a video in the technique section (there's one specifically for vids) and see what kind of advice you can get there.

My friend just recently changed his philosophy in throwing. He now just goes for the consistent par instead of trying to run the ace or for bird. I decided to think with this mentality more today, throwing my consistent shots at 250-270 and not trying to push it I had 16 pars today. Finished 2 over on a couple of missed long putts. My best on the course is par, so I am pretty happy just going for consistent.

I read a article a couple of years ago, and it's pretty darn simple.

If you can throw 300 feet, inside the circle every time, and hit every putt inside the circle, you are over a 1,000 rated player.

In all honesty, most people can't throw accurately within 250 feet, and make that putt every time. Because most courses aren't wide open fairways. So it doesn't matter if you can "throw your mids 350+", because you probably throw them about 75-125 feet off line at that same 350+ feet.

So then the challenge is this, what defines accuracy for you?

I can't even throw a disc accurately, repeatedly, at 20 feet. So therein lies my biggest problem.

I can throw about 300ft on a good one and am deadly accurate with my putting if I can reach out with the disc and touch metal.

Bombs!

I've been playing for a little over a year now and solid. I play anywhere from 2-3 days a week and multiple rounds some of those days. Since then, I've seen one guy throw bombs 400+ (with a beat up putter at that) on a big downhill throw. I personally can get anywhere from 275-300 (300 on a good day) accurately with only one of my drivers. Best way I've found to get good at throwing farther is to use the same discs as much as possible. I stick to the same 3 discs as much as possible when I play (DD Escape, DD Truth, and MVP Anode) and the distances for all 3 have increased, putter the most. The distance will come naturally with time. Same with everything else in life, the more you practice, the better you get!:clap:

I've been playing for a little over a year now and solid. I play anywhere from 2-3 days a week and multiple rounds some of those days. Since then, I've seen one guy throw bombs 400+ (with a beat up putter at that) on a big downhill throw. I personally can get anywhere from 275-300 (300 on a good day) accurately with only one of my drivers. Best way I've found to get good at throwing farther is to use the same discs as much as possible. I stick to the same 3 discs as much as possible when I play (DD Escape, DD Truth, and MVP Anode) and the distances for all 3 have increased, putter the most. The distance will come naturally with time. Same with everything else in life, the more you practice, the better you get!:clap:

When I first started playing I really got into buying and trying new discs, which was fun but did nothing for my form. I was trying too hard to find the perfect disc to do what I wanted it to do. Then I got into getting specific discs for each shot on the course. I got up to 16 discs in my bag, but still hadn't taken the time to really learn just one disc or to even learn good form for that matter.

I've since cut my bag down to 8 discs, and honestly could cut out more, but when I did so, I pared my home course for the first time. I also started paying a lot more attention to my form lately.

Point is, you are spot on, accuracy is greatly helped by learning a few discs well and just getting consistent with them.

How many throws do I get? or are we talking- my average? I made it out to the football field/track after a long sabbatical away from driving practice. I wasn't too surprised at my gains in distance, mostly because there wasn't much, but I was encouraged by my increased control and consistency as I was able to put my mids straight down the running lanes to around 270'- 290'. I 'run' laps... and count how many throws it takes to finish one. Only rules are that everything not the track is out of bounds and going around the field goal posts is mandatory.

Ive been playing for a few months. I have a ton of discs that I am trying, but there are probably only 8-10 (out of 30) I throw regularly. I'm pretty accurate with my hyzer placement up to 300' I can get a DD Truth to go anywhere I want it at 350', the best disc in the game IMO, atleast for me. I absolutely love the DD Truth. Putting I'm pretty good inside the circle. My best outside the circle putts are with a discraft Hornet. Still learning. I have 33 discs right now. Hoping to narrow it down to 20 or so as I figure out what works. There's already a few discs I have scrapped.

Latest posts