• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is average with proper technique?

Think of it like this. Paige has amazing form and throws over 400'. The average guy could beat her in an arm wrestle, no training required. If he magically learned her amazing form in an instant, he would out throw her.
He would be Ken Jarvis.

It's true, I dare any of you guys to do this and have the disc not go 400', minimum effort required:

Seems impossible that a throw that smooth and easy could go 400'+. Any idea how far that throw actually went?

New goal: throw like that!

Seems impossible that a throw that smooth and easy could go 400'+. Any idea how far that throw actually went?

New goal: throw like that!

I have no idea on a measurement on that throw. But I have zero doubt that much effort from him would go easily over 400' with a fairway driver or distance driver. My form is nowhere near that good and I basically do a walk up (albeit with longer strides) and hit over 400' when it goes well. Just look at how all his levers line up at the hit and he's perfectly balanced. Smooth is far.

About 9 billion light years, smooth is far. I'm guessing that shot was probably around 600'. He held the distance record with a Teebird at 810' for about 30 minutes until Sandstrom threw his Valk 820'. Ken Jarvis = Jamie Sadlowski.

Ignore the 360, but listen to what he says:

Only 300-350 is my educated estimate if you're saying average. Breaking 400 on flat ground with no wind is pretty darn impressive.

Forget about the distance, once you're throwing over 300ft you're competitive. Granted the 400ft bombers will have an advantage on some holes, but in our division it's all about the upshot and the putt. And wow...do these old guys know how to putt. lol..

That's what I'm talking about, lol. My strength is actually my mid range game, and recently putting has gotten much better since I have been practicing. I want to move up because I figure the only way to get better is to play with better players. I also like that division because for the most part players aren't cut throat and like to see each other do well.

I have no idea on a measurement on that throw. But I have zero doubt that much effort from him would go easily over 400' with a fairway driver or distance driver. My form is nowhere near that good and I basically do a walk up (albeit with longer strides) and hit over 400' when it goes well. Just look at how all his levers line up at the hit and he's perfectly balanced. Smooth is far.

I'm pretty sure my shoulder would fall off if I tried to follow through like that. that is the smoothest release I've ever seen.

I'm pushing the 300' barrier with standstills on good days(Truths and Saints). I've been playing with dropping back into the brace, or extending back from the Disc vs reaching out first. I have decent results if I really wait to punch it from the pec/right side but it feels like sloooow glide in then whip. The speed change is immense so probably not smooth. I fall into the trap of "since my putters push 270', my drivers should soar past 300'"... But nope.

As discouraged as I can be as progress seems slow in the field, I can tell a huge difference when I hit the course for a casual round. As long as I'm focused, my discs fly straighter and farther and are more controlled.

I fall into the trap of "since my putters push 270', my drivers should soar past 300'"... But nope.

As discouraged as I can be as progress seems slow in the field, I can tell a huge difference when I hit the course for a casual round. As long as I'm focused, my discs fly straighter and farther and are more controlled.

This is not a big deal at all...it's a natural, honest problem to have. So many people would torque-monkey their driver and squeeze 330' out of it. You can too if you really want to, and probably hit that distance in a few tries once you know the line (but keep in mind this is "bonus" distance on your line drive). But what they can't do, is throw their putter 270' dead straight.

Check your grip/nose angles, as that may eat up extra distance on the driver. Plus it takes a bit of extra arm speed to get the driver going over a mid. When I threw a Saint, I felt like it didn't come alive until it hit at least 330', and didn't really start to cruise like it wants to until closer to 350' of arm power. I'm not saying don't throw it, I'm just saying if you don't have a speed 7ish driver between the mids and the Saint then you should maybe consider it. Although the Saint is glidey and neutral, it takes the right arm speed to make it dance like it wants to. It doesn't want to be torqued on.

Re: putters vs drivers

1. Drivers have a wider rim, making it harder to hold onto late into the hit. Putters are extremely narrow rimmed, making them ideal for holding late. Almost everybody in the world can throw a putter with more ejection speed than a driver, putters just slow down much quicker.

2. Nose angle is more important to a driver. Putters can tolerate being thrown nose up and on an anhyzer very easily - staying afloat for quite a while. Drivers will not have that glide.

3. Matching your driver to your current ejection speed is key for getting full value out of the flight. If the driver is not following the full flight path, then it's not going fast enough. You will have to pry my understable drivers out of my cold dead hands. They make throwing up-hill doable, great D with a tail wind, they make turn over shots doable without anhyzer, power them down to 75% and get dead straight with minimum fade. I have a beat Surge and a Roadrunner for those shots.

4. You will get there. Putters and neutral mids are correcting all your bad habits. If you can throw a mid 300-350' and it feels smooth and easy, then you are certainly on the road to success.

5. If you get fed up and decide to quite DG, then I'll send you my mailing address. :)

But, at least in my local league, we have probably 200 people you see regularly at the mini's during the season. Several touring pro's, handful of guys floating either side of 1000 rating (not me) and a ton of competitive players. I would guess the average, repeatable on command max distance is 320-340 for those 200ish people. Absolutely everyone of them will swear up and down they can throw 400'. If you took them all out in a level field, no wind etc ... I would give my next paycheck away if more than 20% of them could. 400' is a long freaking way. It's a rare person that can hit it without concentrated effort. 550-600' is for genetic freaks who also put a lot of practice in.

This for sure though I may give my next paycheck if more than 10% could hit 400'.

You will have to pry my understable drivers out of my cold dead hands.

My Underworld is the most used driver in my bag. I can probably land well over 300' with it, but with a flip, and I'm still honing that skill, so inconsistently. And thanks for the encouragement guys. The progress is there, just slow at times. I am starting to get some real satisfaction of seeing my mids carve through trees when I hit the lines right vs. worrying about distance.

Ash, pick up a gazelle. Even in DX just to mess around in the field. I found it to be a great step up from mids.

Might do that. I'm sure there's some at my local PlayItAgain. I raid the used rack from time to time and snag up arm loads of beat up putters and molds I want to try in practice before shelling out too much cash.