• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long did it take you to throw far?

I've been playing since last summer.

I just recently changed my run up this past week. I played in a tournament this past weekend and had a few pin high shots on holes ranging from 370-400 ft. :D

I still can't throw far. It's embarassing how short most of my drives are. But you know what? I have fun out there, and I'm never the guy in the group who's throwing a tantrum because his disc rolled away or hit a tree. Plus I work on what I CAN control with my noodliest of noodle arms: My putts and approaches.

I still can't throw far. It's embarassing how short most of my drives are. But you know what? I have fun out there, and I'm never the guy in the group who's throwing a tantrum because his disc rolled away or hit a tree. Plus I work on what I CAN control with my noodliest of noodle arms: My putts and approaches.

I agree with you... my drives average out to about 275-300 and i can still keep up with all the others i play with because i have great control and to me, i would rather have control over distance anyday of the week:hfive:

100ft - Day 1
200ft - Day 2
300ft - Week 3
850ft - When I got the internet

^this. These people are all "I threw 400 super accurate at 12 months thru the woods." :doh: Or the guys who have played for 6 months, but managed to hit a cool 65 courses in that time. lol.

I mean, you can always work on getting distance without an x-step. Last year I was throwing over 400 from just a stand still, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work on an x-step until you throw 400 from a stand still :) Once you figure out the mechanics and are "hitting" your hit point you can start incorporating footwork and figuring out how it all works together.

That's the problem I don't think I'm hitting my hit point yet. I know I'm not consistent yet. I am getting better at the disc going straight for me. I still let it got on a hyzer or release late or early sometimes though and it will go off to nowhere into the trees.

I was just messing around and I stepped a throw off though and it may have been 150 feet. Now I just started last year and I haven't played a ton yet, but I get a little concerned I'm doing something wrong when 90 percent of the people here are saying they were throwing 200+ after a week or two or playing and even farther in a month.

I've been playing a lot for 12 years and I max out at 360. Need to work on my heel swivel

I just started playing in December '12. Hit this forum up for tips and realized I should start from a standstill instead of goofing up my timing on run-ups.

As of now, I'm getting the Teebird out to about 300-325' (golf D, not internet D ;)). Buzzzs and Rocs 250-275, Aviars 200-225'. All from a standstill.

I'm starting to work on the footwork part, but a recent injury has required me to go back to standstill throws for now... :\

Still working on the snap part. Most people I play with say I have a very smooth and effortless throw. I'll be posting a form video once I'm healed up...

That's the problem I don't think I'm hitting my hit point yet. I know I'm not consistent yet. I am getting better at the disc going straight for me. I still let it got on a hyzer or release late or early sometimes though and it will go off to nowhere into the trees.

I was just messing around and I stepped a throw off though and it may have been 150 feet. Now I just started last year and I haven't played a ton yet, but I get a little concerned I'm doing something wrong when 90 percent of the people here are saying they were throwing 200+ after a week or two or playing and even farther in a month.

Don't worry about it. You gotta remember, there are a ton of beginner-amateur disc golfers out there that have never even heard of this site. However, most of the advanced-expert players have. So, what's average on DGCR is not average in the disc golf world. On the other hand, that means this site is a wealth of information for those trying to improve (all of us).

Be patient, watch videos, read tips, and have fun. Over time, you should improve, even if at a slower rate than desired. :thmbup:

That's the problem I don't think I'm hitting my hit point yet. I know I'm not consistent yet. I am getting better at the disc going straight for me. I still let it go on a hyzer or release late or early sometimes though and it will go off to nowhere into the trees.

That's the problem. you're letting go.

Don't worry about it. You gotta remember, there are a ton of beginner-amateur disc golfers out there that have never even heard of this site. However, most of the advanced-expert players have. So, what's average on DGCR is not average in the disc golf world. On the other hand, that means this site is a wealth of information for those trying to improve (all of us).

Be patient, watch videos, read tips, and have fun. Over time, you should improve, even if at a slower rate than desired. :thmbup:

I just need to play more and right now I think I'm throwing mostly with my arm. I'm turning but I don't think I'm getting all of my body into the throw yet.

That's the problem. you're letting go.

It was, but its getting better. Now most of the time the disc is coming out on its own, I just have to make sure I follow through. At first I would follow through hold on to the disc and it would fly off way the to right somewhere. Last few times I've went out to throw if I get all the way through the turn and it rips out the disc goes straight and flies right. I know if I don't because it usually just goes way up high , balloons and hyzers on short.

It will also do that if I get the nose way up which I also need to work on. I think that may be a throwing plane issue though. I was coming through kind of between my stomach and chest because it felt more comfortable and natural. I think that causing me to throw the disc on an upswing though and causing it to go nose up and release on a hyzer. Im going to try keeping the disc higher around my chest and I think it will come out flatter, more neutral and hopefully flat.

Its slowly getting better and regardless of how far I'm throwing its still fun and that's all the really matters.

loki,

I went through some frustrating times where I was turning discs over, skying the disc nose up, grip locking, letting go, etc. I was also caught up with the distance thing for a while. Now I just focus on being smooth and gradually increasing the power. Smooth>fast. Dan Beto's right peck drill really helped me learn to use my body instead of arms.

I've been playing A LOT since I started out. Almost everyday since I have a 9 holer right next to my job that I spend my lunch hour at. Keep practicing and it will come. I have improved so much over the past couple months just by playing a lot and trying to learn from every throw, especially in different wind situations. Still have a long way to go but I see the progress.

Keep at it and make every throw count :thmbup:

I just started playing in December '12. Hit this forum up for tips and realized I should start from a standstill instead of goofing up my timing on run-ups.

As of now, I'm getting the Teebird out to about 300-325' (golf D, not internet D ;)). Buzzzs and Rocs 250-275, Aviars 200-225'. All from a standstill.

3 months, 24 courses, 325' teebird, and a plastic addict. someone kill me now :wall:

3 months, 24 courses, 325' teebird, and a plastic addict. someone kill me now :wall:

Eh, it's been a dry winter and my job takes me near some great courses. I used to play a lot of ball golf and the mental side of it has transferred over to this game. Don't ask what I shot at Dela last week though... :thmbdown:

loki,

I went through some frustrating times where I was turning discs over, skying the disc nose up, grip locking, letting go, etc. I was also caught up with the distance thing for a while. Now I just focus on being smooth and gradually increasing the power. Smooth>fast. Dan Beto's right peck drill really helped me learn to use my body instead of arms.

I've been playing A LOT since I started out. Almost everyday since I have a 9 holer right next to my job that I spend my lunch hour at. Keep practicing and it will come. I have improved so much over the past couple months just by playing a lot and trying to learn from every throw, especially in different wind situations. Still have a long way to go but I see the progress.

Keep at it and make every throw count :thmbup:

Yeah. I stepped a few throws off today and got a rough estimate or about 220 and one really good throw that was 250 give or take. Still not really fast enough to get the driver out farther then the mids except on rare occasions.

What seems to be my biggest problem right now is nose angle. I'm throwing nose up almost every time and I know its costing me a ton. I keep trying but no matter what I do I cant seen to get the nose down. Second biggest issue is letting go. I let go of the disc early sometimes, instead of it ripping out. I think that will work it self out in time though, not sure what I can really do about that.

After a few years of playing as a "game", I started playing as a "sport". It then took me about 6 months to get into the 300-350 foot range consistently.
Almost a decade later, I'm still there.
In the last year, I have managed to push my mids out to about 250 accurately and consistently. Driving isn't the strong part of my game,

What seems to be my biggest problem right now is nose angle. I'm throwing nose up almost every time and I know its costing me a ton. I keep trying but no matter what I do I cant seen to get the nose down. Second biggest issue is letting go. I let go of the disc early sometimes, instead of it ripping out. I think that will work it self out in time though, not sure what I can really do about that.

Been there. I don't even know what I changed to get rid of it. One day I was skying them up and the next I was throwing lasers 15-25 off the ground, straight! I think it has something to do with my weight shift, or maybe I am dropping my right shoulder and leaning into the throw. Before I had 50/50 weight distribution to each foot at the release, now I am 100 (left) during the reach back and 100 (right) at release.

Imagine busting through a door with your leading shoulder... that's kind of how I would compare my weight shift during the throw.

I finally broke the 350' barrier with a 370' shot today. So, despite having played casually for a few years, it's finally happened since I've been playing weekly. If you consider 370' far, I suppose it took ~8 months of regularly hitting the course.

Latest posts