• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long does it take...

When I first started playing there was a guy from SC rated >1000 that had only played one or two tournaments. Not sure if he quit playing because I have never seen him at a tournament. This would have been around 2006.

the name Jared Roan comes to mind. ive shot with him a few times since he is from this area and if i remember correctly he has only been playin for a few years. the guy is ridiculously good and getting better somehow. great guy too.

I've seen Roan throw a few times since he lives in CO now. That guy rips it up. I had heard he hadn't been playing for all that long and he is definitely better every time I see him play. I got to throw a few holes with him while practicing for a tournament and he seems like a cool, down to earth dude.
I'm pretty sure Joe Revere hit that 1000 rating in a fairly short amount of time. He's also a real nice guy and a total machine on the course

When I first started playing there was a guy from SC rated >1000 that had only played one or two tournaments. Not sure if he quit playing because I have never seen him at a tournament. This would have been around 2006.
Ben Gaddis rated 1028 but last rated round in Aug 2006.

One could throw out the inverse question in a way…

If you haven't reached 1000 rating by (x) timeframe… what are the odds of ever getting there?

That is, IF it were found that "most" 1K+ players "usually got there quickly" or within (x) timeframe… how steep of declining chance is there as you go past that point? How much would you be nobly persevering against the curve?
*not that 1K is any magic milestone to life happiness of course - it takes 1100+ for that:D:gross:

This is the glass half empty version of the OPs (which in asking this way presumes someone more prone to settling short of potential)

If you haven't reached 1000 by 5 years of constantly (3+ rounds a week) playing, training, practicing, conditioning, putting...etc...you're never gonna get there. Assuming you started at age 15-30.

I don't think anyone who is age 40+ would ever get to 1000, if they're starting from scratch.

IMO, of course.

In the current environment, I would agree. But if there were money in it, I suspect there are 40-year olds who could get to 1000 starting from scratch with sufficient incentives.

^^ Probably true. Especially those with strong athletic backgrounds. But even that would be difficult. I think we sometimes forget that being 1000 rated involves many strengths. Not just distance, or putting, or mental. But all of the above.

The fact that there are several players from 40 to 63 who have ratings of 1000 or more lead me to believe it would be possible without having to have started before age 40 like all of these current Master+ aged players.

Does anyone know of any players who started after 40, but are 1000 rated? Just curious.

I started at 36...I'll keep you posted...LoL. I think starting later has an inherent disadvantage, distance-wise. Not only that, but I'd guess most 40+'s have more going on in life than an average 20-something, which would be a major obstacle as well.

I started at 36...I'll keep you posted...LoL. I think starting later has an inherent disadvantage, distance-wise. Not only that, but I'd guess most 40+'s have more going on in life than an average 20-something, which would be a major obstacle as well.

Agreed. And that's why Chuck's comment makes sense. If the financial incentive was there, we might see more forty-somethings just starting out.

It is true that an increase in sample size would lead to an increase in right fringe outliers (1k+ ratings)

Even more so if that increase was representing some moderate or more "poaching" from other athletic activities. (dipping from a better talent pool)

Started in April '13, at 43... My goal is to hit 1000 by age 46. Shooting 900 rated rounds now (dgcr scorebook rating- no pdga stats yet).

I do have the advantage of being an accomplished athlete in many team and individual sports, and also grew up playing a ton of casual freestyle frisbee. Don't get the wrong idea, though... I'm no picture of perfect health anymore... a decade behind a desk and another behind the wheel have made me a shell of my former self. That said, I don't feel my physical health is holding me back at all, only my form.

Cadmaniac, good luck in your quest! The road from 900 to 1000 will be frought with many obstacles.

Just keep on practicing, putting, and working on that form. :thmbup:

If you haven't reached 1000 by 5 years of constantly (3+ rounds a week) playing, training, practicing, conditioning, putting...etc...you're never gonna get there. Assuming you started at age 15-30.

I don't think anyone who is age 40+ would ever get to 1000, if they're starting from scratch.

IMO, of course.

said the old unathletic hacker. no offense

said the old unathletic hacker. no offense

Saying "no offence" at the end of your post doesn't mean you can write whatever hurtful things you want. :doh:

I think BigSky is mostly right. If you are constantly practicing and playing, trying to get better at the game, you should hit 1000 rated rounds within five years. If you don't, it probably means you just aren't physically capable. I'm not sure I'd agree with the age limit. I think 40+ players (athletic ones, of course) still have a good chance at become 1000 rated.

Latest posts