• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long should I throw a highspeed driver if I throw speed 7-9 drivers 410-425 feet?

If you can drive over 400', you ought to be at a skill level where you know what kind of shapes you can get out of a good drive and knowing your plastic. So watch your drives with your control driver and then with your distance driver and compare them. Are they shaping the same line? Consider that Ken Climo has 4 Aviars, 4 Rocs, 4 Teebirds, and 4 Wraiths in his bag. All of those discs have similar flight paths, with the difference being speed: speed 2, speed 4, speed 7, and speed 11.

Distance drivers are less consistent and can be squirrely as a result, that's why better players disc down. But if you are throwing mids 350' plus, and get an extra 50' out of control drivers, and another 50' out of max distance, then that sounds about right. But I would expect a greater variance between throws from your distance driver. You could throw 10 putters and some of them would land on top of each other. Not likely with distance drivers, they are going to be in grouping with a 30-40' diameter. So your distance drives could end up short because of inconsistency.

Last edited:
I used to have a similar problem. My Avengers were maxing out around 420' on a really good pull, and my high speed drivers were not going any farther. However, I finally figured out that my problem was largely due to throwing slightly nose-up. If you can throw a high speed driver nose down, with height, and with proper air speed, you'll notice a difference. Until you notice that difference, I would just stick with Teebirds.

or get an arm like avery jenkins who throws any driver max weight 700 ft.

he might be able to hit that distance for pure D in ideal wind conditions with a lightweight driver, but not on the regular and not with a max weight disc on a real golf line.

Irrelevant question. Just let the guy try to get better.
Edit : Just realized that your question is actually a good one, my bad. At first, I thought you meant that it wasn't necessary for him to aim to get more distance...
I needed another coffee, sorry!

A video would be nice, I'm sure it's some minor tweak to your form or grip.

I'm guessing you need to work on nose angle and height. You could be throwing ever so slightly nose up and so the discs naturally fade out a bit early, or else you're not giving your max D drivers enough height to work with. Or possibly both. Perhaps you need more nose down height on your max distance drivers.

Local courses breed the skills a player needs. Its always relevant

Yes, I was planning to look up the courses on here or on the interwebz to see if I could give more detailed information.

Can someone explain me how you throw a high shot nose down? To me a high shot logically needs to be thrown slightly nose up. There's something I'm missing here.

Nose-down high throw

Jaysim--

This is one of the things that confused me as well.

One of the posters here (I think it was Brother Dave) put it simply:
Just throw the disc on a hyzer with a nose down grip angle.

If you're throwing a typical "max distance" driver with a -2 or so high speed stability, like a Nuke or a Tern or even a Valkyrie, you can throw the disc with an upward sweep on a hyzer arc. The negative HSS (at speed) will flip the disc flat eventually, and by the apex of the flight you should have a disc in the air riding flat, nose down, so that when the disc fades out you'll get the full flight of the disc gliding and then coasting down flat instead of dumping off like you would get with a nose up angle.

Knowledge is one thing, I still need a lot of practice getting it just right, but it does look good when you hit the angles right.

How heigh should I be throwing if I'm trying to throw 425+? During tournaments it seems like I can throw putters, mids, and fairways the same as other guys (300, 350, 400) but I can't throw distance drivers any farther than teebirds and everyone else on my cards can. It seems like they throw much higher than me. I have just always thrown low like 10'-15' off the ground.

There's no real correlation between how far you can throw a speed 7-9 disc vs. a highspeed disc when you are speaking of distances above 400 feet. You may be able to throw a speed 7-9 disc over 400 feet because you have a better grip on the small rim and can impart more spin on the disc...but you're armspeed could be poor at the same time. A highspeed drive won't forgive you for anything. It's probably an armspeed issue/natural ability...but to answer your question if it could be answered...you should be throwing a high speed driver 500 feet if you can throw fairways that far.