• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs are too many?

Colwell1988

General question guys, how many discs are too many? I currently have 11distance drivers: blizzard boss, blizzard katana, blizzard teedevil, blizzard dominator, and I just found yesterday on the course a blizzard Vulcan. My others are a champion beast, champion wraith, champion groove, star destroyer, nuke as elite, and a surge elite. That's just my drivers haha. Anyway how many do you guys have, and out of the ones I have, which ones are the best, which are the worst, I know the groove sucks, any help, tips would be awesome. I'm fairly new to the sport, about 2 months in. Thanks guys

I have over 200 and I feel like that's really not that many compared to A lot of people.

No amount of discs in your collection is too many. Paging Discin Fiend. Lol

But in your bag at one time? I personally think more than 20 total is too much to carry. If you actually throw that many discs each round, then more power to you. There's just no point in carrying dead weight that you never use, IMO.

How many discs is to many to carry at the same time? For me its about 22. 18-22 is all I could ever really need on the course. I only carry 4 distance discs, personally. I know a lot of people that carry quite a few more but I don't need it. A lot of the discs you listed are very similar. There is really no purpose to having a bunch of discs with you that do the exact same thing. You're just carrying extra weight, and frankly, odds are you are just guessing at what to throw for any given shot. Just cuz you OWN a bunch of discs doesn't mean you need to CARRY them all. Find out which ones are the most predictable for you and put the ones that do the same thing as another disc away. You could sell them, trade them in at a PIAS, or stick them in your closet until you feel like throwing them again. Its a common thing to see with new players, they don't really know what they like, so they just bag everything they own. They're usually guessing when it comes to shot selection.

How many discs is too many to OWN? I don't think this is a good place to get a sane answer to that question. Many of us have been playing for years and have huge stacks of plastic laying around.

Yeah. Depends on if you're talking collection or carrying "in the bag". As far as a collection of discs it's a drop in the bucket compared to members on here (vs. chuckers at the local 9).

As far as carrying with you, I feel that would be too many yes. It takes a while to figure out the discs you own. But if you find yourself not knowing what disc to reach for on a specific shot/line, then that's a sign of overlap. Try to start relying on discs that can shape lines and learn how to throw those with Hyzer, an-Hyzer, flat and so on.

Also, if you're a beginner. Learn to throw a putter off a teepad for distance. It will help develop your form properly. If your turning them over hard to the right (right hand backhand hand) that's a sign your overcompensating (off axis torque) when throwing those max distance drivers you listed above.

Good luck, have fun

I have a box that will hold about 70 discs nicely, any more than that and I sell some of my non sentimental throwers or found with no# discs.

Have about 55-60 right now.

Probably have 30 drivers, 20 putters and only 10 or fewer mids. I don't do a good job hanging on to mids, all of mine end up in newbs first bags.

There is no limit to the number of discs in your collection - unless your "habit" is keeping you from having money to buy food and gas.

But if you're talking carrying on the course - if you don't use a disc in three or four rounds take it out. Unless they are dups or ones being beat-in. Also if you don't know right away which disc to throw you've got too many overlapping discs.

Up to you. You can walk around with a cart and all your collection if you want. Personally I carry 12-14 and think backpack straps ridiculous. Each to their own.... the point is, Does it work for you?

I saw a guy hauling about 200 or so discs in a wagon today. He was cool.

1209_mcmillan_630x420.jpg

Also if you don't know right away which disc to throw you've got too many overlapping discs.

Boom. Thats it right there. I was told early on that it is better to make a confident choice in a disc that might not be "perfect" for the shot rather than make the "perfect" choice but be second guessing whether or not I should be throwing (blank) instead.

I've gotten over 100 a few times. that feels like too many. I like to be able to carry everything to the car in 2 trips :)

In the bag, I only really carry about 4 putters, 3-4 mids, 3-4 controllable drivers and 2-3 fast drivers. If I'm carrying more than 15, its because I'm doing some mold testing or I'm afraid of the water

Last edited:
Realistically, you'd be better off refining your fundamental skills and learning how to throw fairways rather than blasting distance drivers. My tourney bag can be just shy of 20 discs , but I remove a lot if I know what the course will be like. For casual rounds I'll carry what's in my signature plus a max distance driver or two if it's a long course. Either way, do what you're comfortable with

I play a lot of wooded shorter par 3 courses, so I have 3 P/A Putters, 5 Midranges, 6 Fairways, 4 Drivers and 2 matching putters only used for putting. These disc's cover just about every course in my area.

My local course when I short bag it I just use 1 Putter, 2 P/A Putters, 2 Mids and 2 Fairways. Fairways are their for the 3 longer holes, Putters and Mids for the other 15 holes.

My sig is an example of my fully loaded money on the line bag. I typically play easier courses with just a putter, a mid, a couple of fairway drivers (one flippy and one beefy usually) and two drivers, one for backhand and one for forehand. I might add a disc or two if I know there is some sort of specialty shot(s) required for the course. I am the one disc man for night rounds, though.

It partially comes down to your throwing style, I can throw BH both left and right handed but need a slightly less stable disc with my left, I throw FH and OH as well that require more stable than my BH. So I end up carrying 24-27 discs depending on the course with the wide variety of shots I have available. If I only threw RHBH I'd probably have about 13 discs. So the answer is its different for everyone how many you should carry. I've gotten by at some courses with two fairways and a mid.