• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you own?

twmccoy said:
Okay, photo update time. This is probably 90% of my discs. There are others around but this is most of them.

DSCN0258.jpg

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

omg! that is sick!

Probably ~350. I've been playing a little more than 10 years, so if you add up all that time, it probably averages out to a rate of about three discs a month for the past 10 years. Some of those are from tournaments, some are gifts, some were purchased a few were found and unreturnable due to no-identification, some were trades with friends for different stuff. Some was hording when molds I liked went out of production (i.e. Pegasus, old Ontario Rocs), some are oddball and/or lightweight discs I keep extras of in the car to loan to friends or give to new players.

The biggest problem is finding time to sell off the extras. I'd love to pare down the collection to get it under 100 discs (really, that's probably more than anyone needs), but it takes time to post them here or get them on eBay and manage all the communicating with traders, going to the post office, etc...

DGDave: I'm impressed you've cleared out 90% of your collection. I can't imagine how much time and effort that took. Well done.

That shit is unbelievable twmccoy. And to think, I live in the same state as this guy! $10 says one of mine are in there!

tim said:
Probably ~350. I've been playing a little more than 10 years, so if you add up all that time, it probably averages out to a rate of about three discs a month for the past 10 years. Some of those are from tournaments, some are gifts, some were purchased a few were found and unreturnable due to no-identification, some were trades with friends for different stuff. Some was hording when molds I liked went out of production (i.e. Pegasus, old Ontario Rocs), some are oddball and/or lightweight discs I keep extras of in the car to loan to friends or give to new players.

The biggest problem is finding time to sell off the extras. I'd love to pare down the collection to get it under 100 discs (really, that's probably more than anyone needs), but it takes time to post them here or get them on eBay and manage all the communicating with traders, going to the post office, etc...

DGDave: I'm impressed you've cleared out 90% of your collection. I can't imagine how much time and effort that took. Well done.

Got any Pegasus's you wanna trade/sell? I got 1 from my uncle but lost it after 6 months and havent been able to find any since. It Flew so straight.

stevoe70 said:
Been playing everyday for a little over 3 months, and have about 31 discs. All mostly different from understable to flat to overstable. Just trying to figure out which ones work best for me, then I'll end up getting duplicates of those. So far I started to get duplicates of my ROCs, Aviar P&As, and Valkyries.

That's a pretty good sample of discs that are out there. For new players that's actually so much that it'll probably keep your learning rate down. There's an interesting conflict between the need to know your discs and using proper discs. You probably can get good advice here for beginner discs. Coming from someone who's not an ardent believer in disc minimalism alone although it's a great starting point take it from me that you at least want to read and reread the article on disc minimalism on the main page in the articles section.

Considering how many discs you own per time played I'd suggest also reading discs for noodle arms or something like that thread and trying to throw other people's discs to see what suits you now. I highly recommend not getting rid of your current discs because everyone grows and given enough improvement in throwing skills discs that you thought you grew out of because they got too flippy for your power probably will become great again as your form improves enough regardless of how much power increase you've had. Happens to about everyone. Don't know about you but I'd hate to buy the same disc after learning that it works well again.

It really is funny when people start to reach 350' or more regularly how they find that previous flippy discs are prefect for piercing gaps now that they won't flip unpredictably.

stevoe70 said:
Been playing everyday for a little over 3 months, and have about 31 discs. All mostly different from understable to flat to overstable. Just trying to figure out which ones work best for me, then I'll end up getting duplicates of those. So far I started to get duplicates of my ROCs, Aviar P&As, and Valkyries.

Take all of your discs to the practice field and throw, and throw and throw. See what discs work for you for different shots, put those in your bag, and keep the rest for back ups.

i think with my recent purchase from dgdave, i am just over 200...trying to get rid of a lot of them tho...trade list is up here somewhere...should prolly start putting them up on ebay now

right at thirty should trade away what i can't carry!!!