• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you really need in your bag?

what number of discs, feels most comfortable for you to have in your bag?

• Total voters

SearchingForDistance

Birdie Member
I have been having over 30 discs in my bag sometimes and that really makes the back go sore.I have find that in my bag when i keep 17 discs ore less it feels like The bag is empty.So what do you think is the best numer in discs to keep in your bag?

3 distance drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 fairway drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 midranges - overstable, stable, understable
2 putters- short putt, long putt

XXX "utility discs"- discs that come and go out of your bag for specific courses.

So somewhere between 11-15 I can see for a full complete bag. Of course many people have no need for real "distance" drivers so you can eliminate 3 from that.

I think the most important to have in the bag is a 2 putters,2 mids and 2 all range drivers , and after that you could build it up with extra discs and some maximum distance drivers and a wider amount of stabilitys.

It's like putters....there's no real "right or wrong"...it's about what YOU feel comfortable with. I personally carry 23 in my "tourney" bag, but that is the bag I use for courses all over SC when I play the points series. There are some in my bag that I may only throw once a month during practice rounds at local courses, then I may play a course that I'll use that same disc 3x a round. I've also been beaten by David Sauls who will show up with a much smaller bag of say 10 discs and blow me away.

I can think of 3 reasons a disc is in my bag:

1. Staple. I have probably 8 discs that get the call most of the time.
2. Auditions. There's always a couple that seduce me in the field that are trying for a permanent spot.
3. Situational/utility. While it's awesome to be able to throw a perfect sky anhyzer with your Roc/Comet/Drone/whatever to get out of trouble, sometimes life's just a lot easier if you've got a Champ Whippet and a passable forehand.

As my game's developed into a higher state of mediocrity, the number of staples has decreased, the number of auditions at a time is down (but there's still always something around to have a short, intense love affair with), and the situationals have been reduced pretty far. I imagine as the process continues, these numbers will keep going down. (Then again, maybe as I get older I'll buy a sweet cart and anything with a nice dye or a special swirl in the plastic will get a ride.)

Right now, for a tourney I'm showing up to the course with 25 or so to cover contingencies for rain/wind/etc, carrying around 15. Of the 15, I'm going to 8 for most of my shots, 3 are spares and the rest are utility.

3 Fairway Drivers - Overstable, Stable, Understable.

2 Mids - Overstable, Stable. I varry on this one as my understable fairway is a 161 Pro Leopard and I can finess it to be my understable mid, along with shape with my stable mid, so for me, 2, but I could see a 3rd and sometimes will carry a Stingray.

1 putter - I like to do everything with 1 putter wherever possible. I like to remain intimate with that one most the time, but ocassionaly, I will carry 2 if I want one to work on form of driving.

1 distance driver - Maybe its my skill level but also, I dont see a lot of courses with long throws that call for the distance driver that also require a flight path and if 1 does, I think I would go with one of my fairway drivers. So, I want just 1 that is my max distance disc (which I am testing several) that I reach for when the hole is open and distance is all that matters. Right now, sometimes my goto distance disc, is still the Teebird.

1 Overhand and FH specialty disc - This often times winds up being another distance driver but, I am finding more and more, I want a disc dedicated just to take the abuse of OH throws.

That takes me to 8 ideally, but I always seem a little higher on that with discs I am trying out, and then, if I cannot FH the same disc I BH, that adds some bulk so it becomes real personaly based on preference and ability.

Define 'need'.

I could play a round on just about any course with a cryztal challenger and do pretty well.

I'd say to be competitive, I'd need 3 discs:
1 Stable putter
1 stable midrange
1 stable fairway driver

So if it was coming out of my bag it would be a challenger, a z comet, and a opto striker.

edit:
Just a little more info on what I normally have in the bag - 18 discs total, consisting of the 7 molds in my signature. I feel fully prepared for any sort of shot on any sort of course with this setup.

I can think of 3 reasons a disc is in my bag:

1. Staple. I have probably 8 discs that get the call most of the time.
2. Auditions. There's always a couple that seduce me in the field that are trying for a permanent spot.
3. Situational/utility. While it's awesome to be able to throw a perfect sky anhyzer with your Roc/Comet/Drone/whatever to get out of trouble, sometimes life's just a lot easier if you've got a Champ Whippet and a passable forehand.

As my game's developed into a higher state of mediocrity, the number of staples has decreased, the number of auditions at a time is down (but there's still always something around to have a short, intense love affair with), and the situationals have been reduced pretty far. I imagine as the process continues, these numbers will keep going down. (Then again, maybe as I get older I'll buy a sweet cart and anything with a nice dye or a special swirl in the plastic will get a ride.)

Right now, for a tourney I'm showing up to the course with 25 or so to cover contingencies for rain/wind/etc, carrying around 15. Of the 15, I'm going to 8 for most of my shots, 3 are spares and the rest are utility.

i like the way you wrote this up, and i agree with it 100% i keep about 15-17 discs in my bag at any given time but i've been trying to downsize from different molds to more of the same lately.

Well, I'm not upper echelon in ability but I carry: Squall, Core, Nebula, Drone, #3 Slice, GT Banger and #2 Putter.

brooks carried three discs, feldberg carries 40+, there is no "right" amount. i throw 11-12 and carry a few more solely as backups.

if i play my local course i bring less because i know exactly what discs i will use, a course ive never seen i will bring extra because you never know what you may need

I use to carry 20+ molds. I now carry 9. Trying less and realized I can get away with 4 molds: magnet, buzzz, stalker, xl. Just so happens that that's my glo bag:)

If it is a course I know well, I can carry 6 and usually get my average score. The last couple times I played, I carried only 3 discs and scored my average. But I usually carry about 15 because I like to throw practice drives. On a course I am not familiar with I may carry 20.

I carry 21 discs.
I could probably do w/ less, however I keep some extras just in case.

In a tourney...16 give or take a few depending on the course. I was carrying around 22 a yr ago. I could get away with less if I only threw BH, but I throw lots of different shots. A couple are also backups. In casual rounds I've been one discing a lot lately.

Last summer I went from a bag that carried 20-22 to a bag that carried 12. Now while those 12 can generally cover all of my shots, I always go out to the course wishing I could just get a couple more in my bag. I think this is mostly because I am always getting and trying new discs so there are always those "audition" slots in my bag.

Latest posts