• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you really need in your bag?

what number of discs, feels most comfortable for you to have in your bag?

• Total voters
3 distance drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 fairway drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 midranges - overstable, stable, understable
2 putters- short putt, long putt

XXX "utility discs"- discs that come and go out of your bag for specific courses.

So somewhere between 11-15 I can see for a full complete bag. Of course many people have no need for real "distance" drivers so you can eliminate 3 from that.

Simply put. In theory your breakdown should work out to cover every shot. I carry 11 discs, with only 7 molds. I just can't see myself carrying any more than this.

I carry a bag of between 19 and 22 discs but I usually only use 8 of them with any regularity.
Star Xcalibur
Star Destroyer
Z Force
FLX Avenger SS
Champ TeeBird
FLX drone
Star Rhyno
Soft Wizard

just moved up from carrying 2 to carrying 4. Had just been carrying champ boss and dx aviar, now champ boss, dx aviar, champ shark, and star t-rex. The t-rex might go though once the boss breaks in a touch and can be used for backhands better.

You are a bad, bad person.

He sounds naturally athletic.

I carry ~ 14-20, but I probably don't throw more than 8 in a round. Like Chiggins, my discs consist of staples, try outs, and utility discs.

It depends on the course.

I carry about 10 discs but can play Earlewood with only 2 and shoot about the same (a straight driver and a putter).

On the other hand, at the Charleston Classic (Hampton Park and Trophy Lakes), I can stuff 22 in my bag and still can't seem to finish with a reliable driver in my possession.

2 Med Magic putters
1 beat Wizard thrower
1 Pro Aviar thrower
1 Zone
4 Rocs in different plastics and stages of wear
1 Mako (rehearsal)
1 E Warrior
1 Champ Gator utility
3 Valk rollers in different stages
1 Stalker (rehearsal)
2 Star Roadrunners
2 Champ Teebirds
1 Champ Starfire
2 Maxes (longer firebirds with more skip-in ability)
2 Firebirds
1 Xtreme
3 Destroyers
1 Star Wraith
2 Bosses
1 Eco Xcal

That's it. Only the rehearsals move around.

I have recently cut my bag way down. I've been on a nasty plastic binge for a while and it's gotten me all out of whack with what's in my bag, so I've cut it down, disc down and hopefully do a little improving, something that hasn't been happening since I started buying it all. I have learned a lot, but what I learned was "learn how to throw, it's not the plastic" Hopefully it works . :\

1 Overstable driver - Katana
1 Fairway Driver - Stalker
1 Overstable mid - Drone
1 stable mid (what I like to call a "fairway mid") - Buzzz
1 Putter - Lord help he decide on one that I like more than the others, please?

I really only need 3, but carry 16. I could propbably do just as well only using my Wizard, Core and Leopard, but I get bored easily and like to try different discs.

Light weight Groove, heavier Groove
Putter
Stingray
Coyote
Putter

That's what I always carry. Sometimes I add or subtract a disc or two...Star Wraith, 150 Valk, Roc, etc.

I carry 17 discs in my bag:

6 Drivers: Surge SS, Striker, Vision, Valk, Flash, Avenger SS
2 Fairways: Riptide, Polaris
2 Overstable mids: Wasp, drone
3 Straight Mids: Roc, Aftershock, Impact(longer annys)
2 Understable Mids: Stratus, Meteor
2 Putters: Challenger X2

I could easily play most courses with 3 discs: Striker, Aftershock, and Challenger. I keep a lot of extras for security reasons and utility shots.

I figured that all my discs weigh about 7lbs, bag weighs 2lbs, water bottle is about 2 lbs, add in weight of mini, retriever, other crap in pockets probably carrying around 14lbs on my back for a round. So often I find myself really wondering why I carry so much.

Any time I think of playing a round with only three I get freaked out thinking "what if I have a shot that requires XXX disc that I don't have with me." I did try it once and hit an ace so I guess the theory is not all bad.

19 here.

3 Putter (ALL the same putter, but in different weight)
3 Mid (ALL the same mid...3 rocks of different wieght and wear)
2 Fairw. (1 overstable, 1 understable/str8)
10 Driv. (4 under, 4 over, 2 str8....different speeds as well and some only used on certain courses)
1 Multi. (road runner that has become really uderstable and more of a multipurpose disc)

3 distance drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 fairway drivers - overstable, stable, understable
3 midranges - overstable, stable, understable
2 putters- short putt, long putt

XXX "utility discs"- discs that come and go out of your bag for specific courses.

So somewhere between 11-15 I can see for a full complete bag. Of course many people have no need for real "distance" drivers so you can eliminate 3 from that.

That is almost excatly how I have my bag set up.

The Katana is overstable for you?

I am glad to hear it from him cause it was for me as well. And I had it in 165 Pro....

Although, I think it was something in my form I recently have discovered, after unexpectedly hyzering a Leopard. While tring to keep the nose down, I am actually forcing my wrist downward to where the disc comes out at a weird angle. Now trying to keep my wrist straight.

3 Staple molds(Putter, Mid, Driver), 2 utility molds (Overstable driver, Distance driver)

2 Putters (Fresh for driving, Thrashed for putting)
3 Mids (Fresh->Thrashed)
4 Drivers (Fresh->Thrashed)
1 Overstable Driver
1 Distance Driver

I have 14 in the bag now, but 4 of them in there are new discs to test out. I could get by with 4 or 5 no problem though.

Latest posts