• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs, is too many?

I carry 13:

DiscGolfFamily5-11-08.jpg

Wow, at present time, I only carrying 4 discs.

For open courses (not many trees):
Innova Champion Sidewinder
Discraft Stratus X-Elite
Innova Dragon DX
Gateway Magic S-Soft

For crowded courses (lots of trees):
Innova Cheetah DX (although I will replace this with a Sidewinder DX soon)
Discraft Stratus X-Elite
Innova Dragon DX
Gateway Magic S-Soft

I like the idea of learning to throw the same disc in multiple ways. Although, if I ever loose more than one in a round I fead my score may begin to suffer in a hurry.

I think it's more about the number of molds you carry, I carry 18 discs but only 6 molds, I have them in different plastics and levels of beat, that way I only learn a few discs but I get a wide variety of shots.

I am traveling with 9 discs. I am still in the beginner stage and I have to fight the urge to go buy different discs. But I have gotten to the point where I decided I will be better off becoming more comfortable with the ones I have before I make things more confusing with more plastic. I have noticed though recently that my speed and spin has increased and the discs I have are flying much differently and I have to change my angles of release to keep some discs from turning over. So right now I have decided that if I buy another discs it will probably be one I already have.

This was my disc count after three months in. I wish a friend would have given me a putter, a roc and a leopard and said come see me in two months, I would have learned my throw quicker. But buying disc's are fun, some just look cool. I cant throw my clear Q-JLS with rainbow foil stamp but I'm darn proud I own it.

Donovan is right though, at least for me. I learned to "shape" a shot with just a few discs because I had to use technique as opposed to mold or weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 23
But dont get me wrong. You will need a mold or a weight to make a shot but knowing the technique first will help you in the long run to getting the most out of the disc.

This is where an old disc'er comes in handy or a good local shop to help you in your disc selection.

I like having muliples of the same mold for practice. If I want to use a certain type of disc to practice a certain type of throw (especially a drive) I'd like to throw a few before I have to walk 100 td's to go pick up the disc.

due to my disc buying habits i have about 18 or so in my bag - i have 4 or 5 discs in my bag with multiples

Someday (when the disc buying sensation wanes - and i get good at DG) i would like to be the guy that shows up to the course with 3 discs and whips everyone.

Someday (when the disc buying sensation wanes - and i get good at DG) i would like to be the guy that shows up to the course with 3 discs and whips everyone.

If I someday get to be the guy who whips everyone, it won't matter to me how many discs I'm using. ;)

I have 14 Discs, and a bag. I got 6 putters alone. But when I go to the course I usually only bring 4 Discs by hand, Driver, Fairway Driver, Mid-Range, Putter. I switch it up when a certain Discs starts to not work for me, or whenever.

I think what gets lost sometimes is the similarity between molds. There's not that much difference between many of these molds, they often just feel like variations on eachother. A Viking flies like a slightly more stable Valkyrie, a Monarch like a faster Sidewinder, a Starfire like a more stable Orc etc. Plastic type plays a role as well, people talk about learning certain molds but a DX Viking's going to behave more like a DX Valkyrie than a Champ Valkyrie will until it really breaks in anyway. I do think it's best for beginners to only throw a couple of different drivers and slowly advancing from there though.

I'm a firm believer that all you need are four discs; putter, mid-range, over and understable driver. However, I carry sixteen discs and the only way I rationalize it is by telling myself that it builds strength.

I carry about 18 discs but only 9 different molds. I'm always paranoid about losing a disc I depend on during a round so I carry two basically identical discs in each mold I use. 7 Driver molds, 1 Mid (Cro) & 1 Putter(Aviar-x). In a given round I usually use each mold on at least one hole.

I'm a firm believer that all you need are four discs; putter, mid-range, over and understable driver.

I am living proof that all you really need is one disc. You CAN learn to make all your shots with a single disc.

Most of the summer my one disc was a Champ Eagle, but I switched to a DX Cheetah a week ago.

I believe that you only SHOULD need to carry a few moulds. most people could play their best rounds with quite literrally a handful of discs. I should be good with 4. but i carry a whole lot more of 'just in case', 'lets see how i get on with', 'i havent thrown this for a while' discs which boosts my bag up.

Its always good to have a few extra discs to practice with too!

you can never have too many! but you really only need 4-6 different moulds

I guess That I'm going to be the oddball in this disc-cusion, as I carry a bag full. I just re-vamped my bag again Sunday night after cashing out with $40 in mechandise. Currently I carry:
2 blowflys <1 strictly my putter, the other my approaches>
1 omega ss
1 soft pro ryno
1 star gator
1 pro pig
1 Ch. Banshee
1 z crush
1 z flick
2 star destroyers <1 is slighly understable>
1 ch. t-bird
1 candy TL
1 Star TL
1 ch. monarch
1 star Roadrunner
2 star Sidewinders<1 light, 1 max weight>
1 star Starfire
1 star SL
1 orion fade
1 ch. coyote
1 ch panther
1 ch. spider

Ok so counting up I carry 24 discs in my bag, however I do play countless tourneys, so each course being different, there are discs in my bag that I may throw a lot on some courses, and may never even touch on others. Because I know what the flight usually is on each disc, I can usually step up on a hole and know which one should be the best choice. But again, that is just preferance.

I am living proof that all you really need is one disc. You CAN learn to make all your shots with a single disc.

Most of the summer my one disc was a Champ Eagle, but I switched to a DX Cheetah a week ago.

Oh, I feel ya, bro. Knowing one disc in and out is much better than second guessing yourself. I feel free on the course without a bag, as well, like I wanna just start running (or maybe skipping). However, if the course you are playing provides many challenging and varying shots, it is important to have different options. Also, it does build strength lugging those discs around, but maybe I'll switch to lugging around beer.

I carry 21, but with the newer lighter bags and QuadShocks, why not carry a bunch?

Sometimes on a bad day if your normal go-to discs don't give you that normal "feel" or results, I like to go to a similar disc to try and shake things up a bit- but I am not walking back to the car, so I just carry them!

Also, it is fun, sometimes, if you usually carry 15+ discs, to play a round with only 1 disc, or with just 3 (driver, mid, putter). I usually shoot the same. It takes all the thinking out of it, but part of my enjoyment is deciding on each shot which disc will be "the one."