• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people is considered too large of a group?

What should the largest dg group be at a course?

• 2 people

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3 people

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 people

Votes: 55 22.4%
  • 5 people

Votes: 60 24.5%
  • 6 people

Votes: 89 36.3%
  • 7 people

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • 8 people

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • 9 people

• 10 people

• more than 10 people

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters
Let me remind you that lower level players seem to be the ones filling the pot.

from what i gather, you enjoy your mobs because they allow you to have your blunt and joint sessions as a group. and that golf etiquette is meaningless. where would ball golf be today if it had this same mentality?

By pot, I believe he meant that it is ams who increase funds available at tourneys; for open players to win. In regards to the other; if you look close, many open players are filling that as often as ams. :) Perhaps a bit more discretely. :)

By pot, I believe he meant that it is ams who increase funds available at tourneys; for open players to win. In regards to the other; if you look close, many open players are filling that as often as ams. :) Perhaps a bit more discretely. :)

ohhhh pot! lol i automatically related that pot to the other pot he was talking about. my bad :doh:

but still, what is the reason that ams would have to play in mobs? to get better? you can't get better and meet people in groups of 5?

what about golf etiquette?

craftsman, just read all of the posts in this thread. the majority are against mob play. and I think the majority of the DG population would feel the same way whether if they are am or pro. it all comes back to the etiquette of the game. Respect the game and its players.

I never said anything about excluding people. I just said I'd pay money at a course if it meant that they would enforce etiquette and get rid of the druggies. I could care less if people want to smoke pot. More power to them. A lot of my friends smoke. But keep your illegal drugs at home. It's illegal to smoke in the public. And in a lot of these parks/courses, there might be kids and babies around. And I don't want to smell your skunk brain killing crap. It's disrespectful.

Last edited:
Fwiw, it's not that I love mob golf, just that it seems common around here.
I just played a league round. 15 showed. Two cards, one 6 & one 9!
Don't believe it's just a bunch of stoner ams either. My card had masters and some well known dg names.

I'll also say the point series league has a well known dirty dollars mob. If it was such a no no, I would think that a 20yr+ league would tell em to break up.

Any more than 6, and I find they have no courtesy for the game or other players.

Every time it's been a bigger group, they're all 1 discers who just trash the basket or yell or are generally just an annoying group.

College campus is our only course, and that's the way it is here ;/

I don't really agree with people saying it's rude to play in large groups, as long as you allow people to play through it really shouldn't be a big deal. I just don't personally like playing in large groups very often because it takes waaayyy too long to play a round. I would rather get my practice more efficiently.

Understandable. Especially if your years of experience is correct. For me personally, I find it more fun and interesting when money is on the line. Or when everyone in my group is being competitive and giving 110% to come out on top.

For me I just bought my first discs and played with them on a brand new course today. I know I'm going to play bad, I'm out for the experience and to have fun.

I Can see possibly, possibly see in the future liking the more serious golf.. but...

I love going out with my friends, even if they are joking around I can have an at least semi-serious round.

Although recently I have discovered that every single one of my shots are different, maybe I need to move from semi-serious to super-serious! :doh:

*edit and I was with 38.something % of the people with 6 as too much

well this was a good learning experience. Now I know to never move to Michigan. Who am I kidding, as if I ever would have anyways lol

I'd say proper etiquette is 4 max, just like ball golf. Maybe one extra but no more than that.

I laugh when I see huge groups of 8. Why can't you just split up into 2 groups of 4? You can still see and talk to each other on the next pad and what not and when you get home for dinner. Are you out there to play disc golf or dick around and play panzy wanzy. Groups of 8 just look like kiddie golf and in my opinion embarrass the sport.

Plus, it all depends on how much traffic there is at the course. If you're the only guys out there, then who cares. But if there's tons of traffic, groups of 8 are just flat out rude and disrespectful to those behind you. Not to mention how silly you look...

4 or 5... he pretty much summed it up though. if you're the only one on the course, go as big as you like... I've plyed with 7 before, it's just a hassle

I don't really agree with people saying it's rude to play in large groups, as long as you allow people to play through it really shouldn't be a big deal. I just don't personally like playing in large groups very often because it takes waaayyy too long to play a round. I would rather get my practice more efficiently.

Problem is, anything more than 5 down here has NEVER left us play through.

One of our local courses is at a very family oriented park. often you'll run into a group of 2 families with about 7 or 8 people who NEVER let you pass....and because the course is deep in the woods it's hard just to skip a hole around them. I've actually stopped going there on saturdays because of this

well this was a good learning experience. Now I know to never move to Michigan. Who am I kidding, as if I ever would have anyways lol

I am glad you aren't planning on moving here. At this point we need more open-minded people.

and look at the percentages, just because I say its cool for a 13 doesn't mean I don't normally play smaller. Special circumstances are special...

LoL sure, might have been influenced by a book..

And I was born and raised here, from what I've seen of some other states I'm glad I live here!

I've played in groups as large as 8 with no real problems. Usually the large groups have been when I'm playing with some friends or coworkers that don't play regularly.

Of course, we always let faster groups play thourgh when they catch up to us.

What I find more annoying is the groups of 2-3 players on a busy course that feel the need to throw 2-3 discs per throw when people are waiting behind them. Thats more annoying than a large group if you ask me.