• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

Played a pretty brutal round yesterday at Parma DGC, which is a pretty big course.

Windchill was at 0, but no one had played the course before us, so we had solid knee deep fluffy stuff covering the entire course.

Made walking the course a workout, but the fresh snow made finding the discs pretty easy. Our ribbons were usually buried with the discs, but you could find the landing zone pretty easily.

All discs survived.

Awesome round, all things considered. Couldn't find the tee-pads at all, so driving with snow halfway up our legs was.... Different.

Glad we went!

I have not found a ribbon and taping combination that work for me so I am stuck waiting for league and tournaments so I can have spotters.

What doesn't work for you?
After trying out ribbon, survayors cord, and yarn my vote is with yarn. It dosen't seem to wind up as much.

Attach it to the bottom. I've had problems with the ribbon or yarn spooling up on top of the disc hidding it under the snow. Attaching it to the bottom seem to help prevent this.

Attach it with duct tape or any other threaded tape. You need the threads as the backing for most tapes will get brittle in the cold and they'll keep things together.

Make sure the disc is clean and at room temp when you tape it up.
Also you don't need a slab of tape to hold the yarn on. So long as the surface is clean and dry when you apply it a 1/2" x 2" strip is more than enough.

Once this last round of powder is packed down you can get away with spotters, but with conditions as they stand spotters or not it's going to be a long round without yarn. I played Redoak this weekend and sunk to my knees in more than one spot.

^^^^

Just to add, I find it most helpful to tape the ribbon with 3/4 to an inch left out the other side of the tape. I then fold this back over and tape it again....seems to help prevent the ribbon from pulling out of the tape

A few things I've learned about wintertime disc over the past 10 years:

1. Snowboard pants are perfect for winter disc. Waterproof, light, allow movement, looks cool, and they typically have a built in gaitor to keep the snow out. :thmbup:

2. I don't use ribbons. If the snow is really deep then a spotter will work much better. I've also become good at looking for the mark that a disc leaves upon entering the snow. I don't like the process of applying the ribbons since I play a lot of rounds in the winter, and I've also heard a few stories of the ribbon cutting fingers upon release.

3. A flat-Hyzer landing will *usually* stay on top of the snow. Anhyzer landing tends to bury in the snow. Spike hyzer tends to bury. When in doubt throw a flat shot that hyzers and skips a little bit at the end. Your disc will almost always be visible.

4. Short sheet metal screws (drilled into the sole with the head of the screw facing towards the ground) turn old hiking boots into winter disc footing saviors.

5. If you play nighttime disc with deep snow and use LEDs then it is actually easier to find your disc than playing on a nice summertime day. The LED will light up the snow around it creating an orb of light. I'm a big fan of nighttime winter golf.

What doesn't work for you?

My biggest mistake is probably using party ribbon and I suppose I get what I pay for. They have a tendency to curl and twist thanks to the rotation of the disc. Sometimes it spools under the disc when it knifes into the snow.

Secondly, I used electrical tape because of how sticky I thought it was. It bonded really well inside where it was warm, but after a few times in the snow it lost all stickiness.

On my second attempt I used a longer strip of that ribbon and used Gorilla Tape. I also used two strips of tape, Xing over each with with the ribbon coming out of the cross-over. On my first attempt I ran the ribbon the length of the tape and I thought maybe it was causing less of the tape to contact the disc. By crossing them over each other, I thought I was making more contact with the disc. For my Ascent, this seemed to work well but it immediately fell of my Z Buzzz SS and then off my Gold Line River. It was falling off my GL Striker when I decided to just rip it off.

The combination I was using this second time around was absolutely killing the glide of these discs. Without glide the River and Buzzz SS fly so differently and the Ascent really needs to be muscled to get anything out of it.

In two weeks I will be at the Winter Carnival Ice Bowl where one of the rounds will be an all-night marathon. I will have to tape a light with clear tape. Hopefully that hold far better than the other tapes I have tried because if the light comes off in flight, finding that disc at night in the snow is going to be impossible. I am really looking forward to this experience, but seaching for a disc in the snow in the middle of night is the last thing I want to do.

A few things I've learned about wintertime disc over the past 10 years:

2. I don't use ribbons. If the snow is really deep then a spotter will work much better. I've also become good at looking for the mark that a disc leaves upon entering the snow. I don't like the process of applying the ribbons since I play a lot of rounds in the winter, and I've also heard a few stories of the ribbon cutting fingers upon release.

5. If you play nighttime disc with deep snow and use LEDs then it is actually easier to find your disc than playing on a nice summertime day. The LED will light up the snow around it creating an orb of light. I'm a big fan of nighttime winter golf.

2: This is fine if the snow is clean, untrampled, and you have spotters. If you're getting a quick round in by your self on a traveled course the aid is nice.

5: I COMPLETELY agree. :hfive: Glow rounds are the best winter time!

My biggest mistake is probably using party ribbon and I suppose I get what I pay for. They have a tendency to curl and twist thanks to the rotation of the disc. Sometimes it spools under the disc when it knifes into the snow.

Secondly, I used electrical tape because of how sticky I thought it was. It bonded really well inside where it was warm, but after a few times in the snow it lost all stickiness.

On my second attempt I used a longer strip of that ribbon and used Gorilla Tape. I also used two strips of tape, Xing over each with with the ribbon coming out of the cross-over. On my first attempt I ran the ribbon the length of the tape and I thought maybe it was causing less of the tape to contact the disc. By crossing them over each other, I thought I was making more contact with the disc. For my Ascent, this seemed to work well but it immediately fell of my Z Buzzz SS and then off my Gold Line River. It was falling off my GL Striker when I decided to just rip it off.

The combination I was using this second time around was absolutely killing the glide of these discs. Without glide the River and Buzzz SS fly so differently and the Ascent really needs to be muscled to get anything out of it.

In two weeks I will be at the Winter Carnival Ice Bowl where one of the rounds will be an all-night marathon. I will have to tape a light with clear tape. Hopefully that hold far better than the other tapes I have tried because if the light comes off in flight, finding that disc at night in the snow is going to be impossible. I am really looking forward to this experience, but seaching for a disc in the snow in the middle of night is the last thing I want to do.

I had the same experience with electrical tape only instead of the adhesive failing the tape basically shattered. It's strange that Gorilla tape was failing on the Z & Goldline. I've use both Champ and Star without issues. Without knowing all the specifics if the discs & tape were at room temp I'd have to guess there was something on the surface that interfered with bonding. Which brings me to your glow round.

First get some clear duct tape or the packing tape with the threads running through it (I'm forgetting it's the trade name). Wash the discs you plan to use with soap and water. Lastly before you put the lights on wipe the surface down with rubbing alcohol or acetone and let it flash off completely. Finally make sure the disc is below freezing before you start your round or the melt water will kill your adhesion. (as I'm typing it occurred to me that this may have been your problem with the Gorilla tape.)

When is the glow round for the Winter Carnival? I'm registered for the Sunday round but don't remember reading about a glow round.

When is the glow round for the Winter Carnival? I'm registered for the Sunday round but don't remember reading about a glow round.

I do not know if there is an official start time for the night round. My current plan is to tee off for the Saturday tournament around noon. Right now I have one other person signed up with me but I am hoping to get more. That should put us at or around 3pm for finishing up. From there we are going out for a lunch/ dinner, change into dry clothes, and warming up a little. Unless there is a specific time for teeing off for the night marathon round, we are planning on teeing off sometime between 5 and 6.

I currently have 2 people sponsoring me, my wife at 5 cents a hole and my mother-in-law at 10 cents a hole. I am figuring at 100 holes for this marathon. It is a 28 hole layout at or about 2 hours per round assuming it is easy to find discs. I am definitely going to play until I drop.

I will find a way to warm up in the morning without going home, change again into dry and hopefully warm clothes, and play my Sunday tournament round teeing off at 9am or whenever Char and or Charlie get there and let us out.

You are welcome to join us because the more the merrier, and the more the easier to spot. The only thing you have to look into is that if you are going to play the night round, you have to take a quick and free winter survival class held on Monday the 24th.

For your concern with tape sticking, and night golf, read discgolfne1's post here Brilliant I tell you, that Frost King tape - I went into Home Depot and the kid had no idea what I was talking about, but at least he led me in the right direction and I ended up with a roll for $8, that stuff is not coming off in the cold. And the LED's perfect, though I did have trouble locating a couple discs that dove into the snow (for the most part it was much easier than finding them in the light).

And as for the Winter Carnival, I'm considering going for at least one of the days, haven't decided yet, but maybe I'll see you around there (and anybody else that may be heading that way in 2 weeks.

I do not know if there is an official start time for the night round. My current plan is to tee off for the Saturday tournament around noon. Right now I have one other person signed up with me but I am hoping to get more. That should put us at or around 3pm for finishing up. From there we are going out for a lunch/ dinner, change into dry clothes, and warming up a little. Unless there is a specific time for teeing off for the night marathon round, we are planning on teeing off sometime between 5 and 6.

I currently have 2 people sponsoring me, my wife at 5 cents a hole and my mother-in-law at 10 cents a hole. I am figuring at 100 holes for this marathon. It is a 28 hole layout at or about 2 hours per round assuming it is easy to find discs. I am definitely going to play until I drop.

I will find a way to warm up in the morning without going home, change again into dry and hopefully warm clothes, and play my Sunday tournament round teeing off at 9am or whenever Char and or Charlie get there and let us out.

You are welcome to join us because the more the merrier, and the more the easier to spot. The only thing you have to look into is that if you are going to play the night round, you have to take a quick and free winter survival class held on Monday the 24th.

I'm out of town this weekend ice fishing. I'm coming back on Monday, I just don't know when. If I get back in time I'll hit the class up if not, at the very least, I'll sponsor you. I'll PM you.

I'm out of town this weekend ice fishing. I'm coming back on Monday, I just don't know when. If I get back in time I'll hit the class up if not, at the very least, I'll sponsor you. I'll PM you.

Monday evening at 6:30pm. Forgot the place but i have it on my calendar. All the details are on the GGGT website.

If you are making any part of the tournament, let me know. These are the types of tournaments where the bigger the group, likely the more fun it is. Well, maybe not too big but five to six people who know some good jokes and or can carry a conversation seems to be the perfect size.

Also, just as a disclaimer, as a teacher I bottle up all my swearing during the week. I normally release it on the course no matter how good or bad I am playing (at acceptable volumes of course).

How many people play disc golf in the snow???

Sometimes.....
553575d6.jpg

Yesterday I got in 27 holes, it was about 0F with 25mph wind, -20 windchill. I'm heading out today, current temp: minus 13, -30 windchill. Should be a great round.

Yesterday I got in 27 holes, it was about 0F with 25mph wind, -20 windchill. I'm heading out today, current temp: minus 13, -30 windchill. Should be a great round.

:thmbup:

We plan on being out there all weekend, Monday too. Will be just a little warmer here, but not much. Light winds will make it seem almost tropical.

And as an added benefit to plaing in the snow, its a fact that you burn more calories exercising in the cold than you do in the heat of summer.

heading out in an hour for two rounds in balmy 32º.

hopefully most of the dumping we got wednesday is gone by now.

Latest posts