• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

My strategy for keeping my hands warm is skiing style gloves with a handwarmer in the right one. The left one stays plenty warm since the hand never comes out, and the right one warms back up quickly with the handwarmer in the glove.

Also, if I'm playing solo I go to shorter courses and throw putter only rounds, or even superclass, they dive under the snow a lot less even in fresh powder.

My throwing hand never gets cold. I figured as long as the rest of my body and head is well insulated, my body will transfer heat to my throwing hand. All I wear is good waterproof boots, 2 pairs of socks (wool outside, cotton inside), thermal underwear, snowpants, thermal long sleeve shirt, sweater and maybe a hoodie depending on how cold it is and a beanie and a glove on my left hand.

The issue is not the rest of my body, i am fine there, but my finger tips. For whatever reason in regular gloves if i am doing something active they eventually start hurting; shoveling, snow blowing, playng with the kids, and playing disc golf. I almost never take my left hand out of the glove. Yesterday I out the heating packets into my glove but it could only sit by my palm. That stayed nice and warm but my tips were still frozen and hurting. My right hand was not so bad because I could clutch the heating packet in my handmuff.

Today I am thinking of heading to Fleet Farm and look at their ice fishing mittens. I even saw one that has a special compartment by the finger tips where you could place a heating packet in.

The rest of me is fine. One pair of winter hiking socks under two more pairs of regular socks. Winter boots, long johns and or pajama pants underneath a regular pair of jeans or jogging pants, four layers over my core with no less than two of them being hoodies, and a very nice winter hat. I even purchased a face visor (covers mouth and nose) and a thick pair of snow pants if it gets really cold (part of the tournament is playing overnight). There are times I feel like an astronaut trying to play disc golf.

I got 6 holes in the snow today. About 6 to 8 inchs on the ground. I play once a week or so. We have had snow on the ground for about a month and a half.

52 holes yesterday (24 at the Northwood, IA Ice Bowl, a practice round of 9 before that, and a glow round of 19 in Albert Lea). Lost two discs in the glow round, found one of them today, light still shining bright, the other will wait until spring. Only 9 holes today, I'm a bit sore and tired after yesterday, I think a rest day of watching football is in order.

As I've been playing more and more snow rounds, I am rethinking the value of ribbons, up until now I've scoffed at the idea, never having any trouble finding a disc. But as the snow gets more tracked up, on cloudy low contrast days, during the night, it is getting more and more difficult to locate each disc, so far this winter I've lost two discs, not horrible, but I've wasted endless hours looking for discs that could have better been spent playing, I think the ribbons are going on the discs next time.

RIP 10x Kc Eagle - the cold did not treat you well after year 8.
photo.JPG

Just played a round at White Oak Park in Dallas, GA, with Fender yesterday. The tee pads were in pretty bad shape, but it was a good time; even though I lost a disc.

At least 4 of us from DGCR are playing tomorrow at Middletown for their ice bowl. I've played with all three of the others.

It's a triples tournament. Should be a good time. It will be interesting to see if there are more from on here that show up that I get to meet. Hopefully I'll get some decent pics... and maybe even some video.

All four that I expected from DGCR showed up at the Middletown, MD Ice Bowl yesterday. TinHornDan was even a member of the winning team! Way to go, Dan! Here's a little video evidence. :) For more information, go to the md-discgolf website. http://md-discgolf.com/joomla/index.php/bulletin-boards

If it's really cold, I use mittens, but the mitten part folds back, so the gloves underneath are cut off finger tips...so I can still use my fingers to hold the disc and flip the top back when I'm not throwing.

I only really need them for the first three or four holes, then I'm warmed up enough I can usually take them off. I've never worn them for a full round.

I've played in as low as 16 degrees...but as has been said on this thread before, once you warm up, the finger tips usually warm up, too.

Oho yea, this has been said before too...cotton kills. I usually wear about four layers on top and long "liner" pants underneath my snow pants. Keeping dry is key in the snow/winter. Waterproof boots and pants.

I enjoy the crisp...of course, here in California, if I start the course at 16 degrees, I usually finish at 30 or above...can't beat that.

Enjoy the crisp disc golfin'

To me, playing in the snow is like playing with someone who has never played before: I don't take it that seriously and rarely keep up with my score.

RIP 10x Kc Eagle - the cold did not treat you well after year 8.
photo.JPG
Oh nooooooo!!!!!:eek:

That's exactly why I didn't ribbon-up my most beloved Typhoon for the Ice Bowl today. I figured plastic that old, once cold, would be prime for destruction on our heavily treed course.

Oh nooooooo!!!!!:eek:

That's exactly why I didn't ribbon-up my most beloved Typhoon for the Ice Bowl today. I figured plastic that old, once cold, would be prime for destruction on our heavily treed course.

Same reason my 9x gazelles go away in the winter. I still keep an 11x in there because its champ but the rest retire until spring.

Played at Wills Park in the snow today. Day 7 with snow in Atlanta...freaking silly.

i'm also from georgia,given,it's columbus,we still had snow for a few days and the temperatures are just stupid for georgia.

i'm okay with cold weather and all,but seriously,not for this many days in a row. maybe if i was more accustom to the climate i wouldn't care as much,but usually one can find upper 40's/lower 50's afternoons this time of year if you're lucky :(.

Another inch of fluffy snow. It never ends. This just means that playing a solo round has become an inch more difficult. The snow is already more than a foot deep and some of the places that have not been trampled down yet but other DGers have at least half of that foot being the fluffy stuff meaning that if you are unlucky there are no marks in the snow where it dove in.

I have not found a ribbon and taping combination that work for me so I am stuck waiting for league and tournaments so I can have spotters.

I haven't had as much time lately to play but it's not the snow/cold keeping me away from the course. Finally managed to get out again yesterday for the first time since early December and man it was cold. -20C (-5F) with the windchill dropping it to -30C (-22F). Fun times though.

We play Ice League every Saturday from November through Feb 12....the day of the Ice Bowl

This past Saturday saw -12 C with a stiff wind and sideways snow. It accumulated roughly 4-5 inches over the course of the round. Awesome fun. We use thin wrapping ribbon (an arms length.

The secret is to tape the ribbon on inside while the discs are warm then put your bag outside for at least an hour before you platy so snow doesn't stick to the discs.

No cotton, multiple layers.

Oh and i picked up a pair of these at MEC.....my footing is unbelievable on any snow or ice in them.

5017316s_v1_m56577569830852493.jpg