• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people play disc golf in the snow?

I've played in the snow a bunch over the last few years, but last night was the first time I've needed ribbons when doing so. I only had ribbons on 3 discs, so I pretty much wound up playing a 5 disc round (two putters) even though I carried my entire bag. As pointed out earlier, I too, wound up throwing forehand more than expected.

I was over dressed though, I completely underestimated the effort involved in walking through snow that deep, and was sweating pretty bad. And because I had exta discs in my bag, I did not have any room to carry an extra layer if I removed it.

I scored poorly, but it was a total blast. Oh, and the guy who won last night? A Michiganer without ribbons, and only two layers on. He's played a lot more snow rounds than the rest of us - lol

play disc golf in the snow....
people do that?

(i guess i dont see much snow...)

i will play in the rain however.

Been playing in the snow regularly. Haven't used any ribbons or anything. Switched it up to as much FLX plastic as possible though. Really trimmed up my bag as well.

\/\/

Ive been out discing 4 times the last two weeks in the snow, Me and my buddy are the only ones out there at the park when we go, its pretty fun. Before this year I only did it 2 times before in 15 years total. I havent used yarn or anything and no discs have been lost yet. good times!!

Played 54 holes today in 10 inches of snow. Thank goodness for 25 and moderate wind instead of single digits and lots of wind. Lost one disc that I kind of hated anyway... might look for it tomorrow if it doesn't snow too much before that, though we're supposed to get like 20 inches in the next two days supposedly... We'll have to see if I play after that.

For sure use orange discs. I used one and it really was bright even when it buried deep under the snow. And mids seem not to get buried at all.

I love playing in the snow. I only have one white putter and one disc that I use as a thumber/tomahawk. It doesn't bother me a whole lot except when I play South Mountain DGC. The rocks that are covered by the snow and ice can be very tricky to navigate.

Prerube and I (and 3 others) played Basil today. No string or ribbon. No lost discs...though Tim (not TimG) did manage to put one in the creek...UNDER THE ICE...it was soo far under there we thought it was one somebody had left! (shortest hole on the course too...) :)

Great time.

\/\/

Hopefully I can get to throw a few pieces of plastic around tomorrow. Been off for about a month due to a back injury. Supposed to snow too. My wife calls me an idiot, but I just gotta throw.

You folks are hardcore. I'd just stay home with the Whammo mini set.
I played two rounds today at Chabot park (Ca.) It wasn't even cold....uh, I mean,
It's horrible here. Don't bother coming.....

I was at the ski slope today, but I played a round with four others the day before. We just got a hard crust due to some rain, with about an inch of fresh and unmarked on top. Everything stayed on top, and we even threw some rollers just for giggles. Usually I have 3-4 foot ribbons (real narrow) taped to my discs for when they dive in. We all (Yes, there are more around here!) try to walk in regular paths, and avoid making unnecessary marks in the snow. Finding discs by the fresh marks can be very important! I live on a course so I play almost every day and I don't see any reason to stop because of snow.

Beautiful winter conditions this past weekend. The key ingrediant for winter golf enjoyment is lack of wind. And it was very calm Saturday & Sunday. We were one of the few places in the area with no snow on the ground, but it's definitely winter conditions. Semi frozen turf; grey forboding skies; frozen puddles and not so frozen puddles; extra layers of clothes making movement more difficult; gloveless hands getting numb or gloved hands losing touch; and big wet flakes coming down giving the course a surreal look....

In other words, PERFECT!

Last edited:

Latest posts