• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much do players over/under estimate their mean driving distance on DGCR?

How much (in ft.) do players over/under estimate their mean driving distance on DGCR?

• 100+ over

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • 75-100 over

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • 50-75 over

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • 25-50 over

Votes: 50 22.2%
  • 0-25 over

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 0-25 under

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 25-50 under

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 50-75 under

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 75-100 under

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 100+ under

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
I play with a few younger players who can throw 400' consistently but can't putt that well. IMO that's why most of the long throwers don't deuce more often.
They're great at 400'+ but have a hard time with 100' and in.

I, too, play sometimes with people who can top 400', and have seen a local player overthrow a 498' hole (on a golf line, no less). But one of the reasons most of these guys aren't getting more birdies, even on a 400' wide open hole, is that you have to be accurate, too. A shot that lands 50' right or left of the basket may have the distance, but not often result in a birdie.

That said, I agree that most of those boasting of big distance are, at least, exaggerating. Of course, online, it's impossible to know who is, and who isn't.

I'll never understand why people care so much about how far other people throw, and/or exaggerate those stats. Does is make you feel insecure, or something, to assume people are inflating their numbers? People in disc golf are really weird about this.....

I'll never understand why people care so much about how far other people throw, and/or exaggerate those stats. Does is make you feel insecure, or something, to assume people are inflating their numbers? People in disc golf are really weird about this.....

Really? You don't understand? ;)

People in disc golf? Nah, across the board really. My house is bigger, my car is better, my gun has more power and my junk? well, we all know it's . . . well.

Yeah, it's long enough, but he don't know how to use. . . . That's what she said.

Really? You don't understand? ;)

People in disc golf? Nah, across the board really. My house is bigger, my car is better, my gun has more power and my junk? well, we all know it's . . . well.

Yeah, it's long enough, but he don't know how to use. . . . That's what she said.

hmmm....good point.

I've only seen a handful of people in my area that can throw 400 consistently. However, during a tournament this past weekend, a rec rated player on my card threw well past the basket on a flat 400 foot hole (low line with a tight S curve and no wind). I thought the basket was marked incorrectly but measured it on google earth when I got home and the basket was 402 ft... his throw was at least 460 ft, probably closer to 475. I am sure there are a lot of people that exaggerate their distance but there are some big arms out there and not all of them play open.

I've hit 400ft exactly twice. Both times with a Star Tern on the same hole and both times 100+ft off target. My normal accurate drive of around 350 with an SL or Orc would have given me a long birdie attempt instead of 100+ft approaches.

The Tern pretty much now only comes out on long open Par fours.

Hahahaha golf line distance and field distance are two totally different things.

Wait, this sounds familiar---"ace" vs. "field ace". NOOOO!

Personally, as an old guy, telling someone I throw 325-350' accurately and then having them think "sure, grandpa" leads to many satisfying moments for me. :D

A lot of people take that one freak throw that catches the wind just right and claim that number as their max distance. There is a hole at Dretzka Park (#3 of the bonus 9) in Milwaukee that I always throw an extra 50 feet past my average. I think there is some sort of wind tunnel or updraft effect going on. Also, on a football field at a middle school near my house, I average 30 feet longer in one direction (towards the school) than I do in the other direction (away from the school).

A lot of people take that one freak throw that catches the wind just right and claim that number as their max distance. There is a hole at Dretzka Park (#3 of the bonus 9) in Milwaukee that I always throw an extra 50 feet past my average. I think there is some sort of wind tunnel or updraft effect going on. Also, on a football field at a middle school near my house, I average 30 feet longer in one direction (towards the school) than I do in the other direction (away from the school).

which is no different than the world record being set or whatever else RE:distance.

Id say there is a 25% give or take on any given day with winds, your body, whateverrrrrr...I go out somedays and just really feel the power (hell the other day at basset) and outdrove few holes I never had ever before with multiple discs in my bag and not at "Max D distance" just golf shots.

The people who say they throw 300ish IMO are the ones who stretch it more than the people who say they can break 425'+. I have met quite a few people who can hardly park a 300-350 hyzer shot but claim they "throw that far" while on the other hand the ones who say they can throw 500' generally CAN and crush the **** out of discs.

Last edited:
How many feet is a country mile?

That's how we measure my buddy Greg's throws. He does not exagerate because he doesn't need to. Only about 5' 7", 145lbs, and can push past 500' consistantly. He's parked hole 7 Green at Diamond X(more than once) which measures 452' with an elevation gain of 41', boom!

My other buddy, name redacted, consistantly throws in the 340 range. The other day during a casual round, he casually metions that he doesn't know what's up with his drives. They're just off and he's ususally getting out to 550' consistantly. Said it like it was nothing. We just smirked and passed sideways glances but didn't wreck his day(he's kinda sensitive).

So I've got two guys that I play with that will tell you they can consistantly get to 550". The difference is one actually knows what the f**k he's talking about. Guy 2 isn't a liar, he's just dumb(and sensitive).

Also, on a football field at a middle school near my house, I average 30 feet longer in one direction (towards the school) than I do in the other direction (away from the school).

I have an identical situation with a baseball field, throwing foul pole to foul pole. (Well, not quite). I suspect a slight elevation change, hard to notice while standing there, but enough to knock a few feet off my throws.

Personally, as an old guy, telling someone I throw 325-350' accurately and then having them think "sure, grandpa" leads to many satisfying moments for me. :D

Field Ace. :doh: It's like calling gloves finger pants. Untrue.

Last edited:

Replace "old" with "diminutive" (I am a measly 5'5", 128 lbs) and I pretty much enjoy the same shock factor. I do get a kick watching jaws drop when I decide to throw with a little anny, which is not something I will usually do outside of a field setting. I can juice my forehands into the lower 400' and my backhands into the mid 400' at sea level in a dead wind. Give me a tailwind, 500 is attainable. My longest throw on a course (not downhill d) was hole 19 at BRP, the "bomb gauge", with a moderate tailwind, with a 168g Gold Bolt. I got about halfway between the 500' and 550' signs, I will call it 520'. Bear in mind, that is not something I can do at whim, and my compromised shoulder gets really pissed off at me when I try to do it. On golf lines, I am known for my flat trajectories, so my golf shots never really get above 8ft off the ground. My golf line distance is mid 300' forehands and upper 300' to lower 400' backhands. I also play with guys who can throw about 200' further than I do, but they have size in addition to technique. Sidenote, all of the distance on the world will not help you without an approach game and some putting skills.

Distance. What a funny animal. At 61, I play regularly with youngsters (anyone under 50 from my perspective). Many of them get 400 or more on a regular basis. Impressive and fun to watch.

As for my self, my general, consistent, accurate, course distance falls in at a paltry 275ish. Further than most 60 somethings I play with. But that said it isn't that unusual for me to get a golf shot over 300 ft. It is such sweet success to hear the kids gasp in awe and admiration. And when I play with my peers its satisfying and quietly humorous to me when I'm referred to as a bomber.

Now inside the circle, well that's another story.

Personally I love meeting players from here and reddit that say they drive 400'+ only to find out they have issues hitting 350' on the regular. No sweat off my scrote but for those that need to inflate their distance to feel better, I'm sure it's at least a little embarrassing when others find out they were full of it.

Reddit is the worst for this. There is a certain <900 rated player that always claims to throw 500ft+ on Reddit. It makes me laugh every time I see him post, because I've seen videos of him play and he'd be lucky to hit 325'

Would you also agree that the more practice you have throwing far, the smaller the difference between your max and your course distance could conceivably be?

Probably. Mostly because the more max D practice you have, the more comfortable you are throwing those lines, so you can pull them out on the course.

Reddit is the worst for this. There is a certain <900 rated player that always claims to throw 500ft+ on Reddit. It makes me laugh every time I see him post, because I've seen videos of him play and he'd be lucky to hit 325'

So recently I came across a video of a dude throwing at my local course and he lists the distance for hole 6 as 535' rather than the 399' it really is. I literally laughed out loud once I noticed this and proceeded to comment the correct footage and pin locations as well as a link to my walkthrough of the course. My comment was deleted shortly there after and now comments are disabled. :doh:

Just c'mon man

I don't really care personally. The only number that matters is the one that gets penciled into the last box on the right. I'd hazard a guess that the greater that number, the greater the scope of online D exaggeration.

I will say it can be annoying to go into a mold thread to try to find out how a disc flies, to realize after you buy the disc that there's something rotten in D Denmark when someone says 'I throw abc feet and on a clean, level release this disc does xyz.'

Latest posts