• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much does the mold matter for putting?

bopApocalypse

I've finally got a basket at home to practice with, and want to get more putters so I can throw more putts without having to pick 'em up.

Here's the problem: I picked up a RFF Wizard not long ago, and have been pretty happy with it. Seriously considering ordering up 5 or 10 of 'em (in a variety of plastics). But - it's only the 4th putter I've tried. I don't know that it's necessarily "the one" for me.

Supposing I get a stack of Wizards, and then later decide that I prefer something else... Is practicing mainly with a mold that is no longer my primary putter going to have a negative effect on my game?

Or, alternatively, if I practice with a dozen different putter molds, is that going to negatively effect my game when I'm really only putting with a single mold?

I bought 10 soft magnets which was my putter of choice. Then I tried a Vibram Summit and I am putting better than before. I think I am going to give some of the SM's away to people who are interested in disc golf. Their cost is reletively low so the outlay of cash didn't break the bank. I will still keep some in the arsenal just in case I feel the need to switch.
If your going to order in bulk, I would get them all in the same plastic and same weight. I think itbuilds consistency.

Form matters much more than the disc. The skills the Wizards can help you learn will transfer to other molds after you make the minor adjustments needed when switching.

Practice like you play.
I've got 3 zero Pure putters - exact same weight. I try not to shoot with like 10 because then, when you practice, you sometimes don't respect the putt and don't put any real pressure on yourself to make it because you have 8 more at your feet. Try to imitate the feeling of a tournament putt - you know, the ones where you must make this to save par etc. Switch up the angle, shoot from above and below the basket, different wind lines, straddle putt, from your knee and behind a tree or in a shrub because that is often where your disc will land for that must make! Do the same pre-shot routine every time. Use all your time once you address your putt.

I bought 10 soft magnets which was my putter of choice. Then I tried a Vibram Summit and I am putting better than before. I think I am going to give some of the SM's away to people who are interested in disc golf. Their cost is reletively low so the outlay of cash didn't break the bank. I will still keep some in the arsenal just in case I feel the need to switch.
If your going to order in bulk, I would get them all in the same plastic and same weight. I think itbuilds consistency.

I did this same exact thing with my Magics lol. I love my Summit. The reason I switched was to get to a lower profile disc. I tried the Ringer as well and the plastic just didn't feel right to me.

But to answer the original OP's question. I would really get a putter that works for you, even if that means getting 5 different molds and tossing them around a bit. Or post in here what you like about your current mold and what you don't like about it. If you truly like what you have though and have no complaints about it I wouldn't get any more than 4 of them. I wouldn't worry about losing them because your putter your not going to be throwing that far and having a huge stack of them will make you lose focus. Throw your 4 and gather them. Walking back and forth will make taking those 4 putts more important rather than just having a never ending stack at your side.

Form matters much more than the disc. The skills the Wizards can help you learn will transfer to other molds after you make the minor adjustments needed when switching.

For me inside of 30', a putter is a putter.

I'm also in this camp. I practice putt with very strange assortment of putters and, if it's not windy, inside 25' they're all the same. The variation is in my mechanics.

I have about 20 Wizards. Having a lot of your putting putters is a good thing. I can spread them out just to reduce walking, or take them out to the field and work on approaches, or take a stack of them and work 4+ different styles to keep it from getting monotonous. Also, having a bunch of putters that you're comfortable with is always good for replacements/cycling. Go ahead and buy in bulk, but practice smart.

And no, working with a Wizard won't keep you from putting well with any other mold.

Inside 25-30 ft it's about how it feels in your hand not disc stability.

Look up the discraft putting confidence program - it works. BTW they recommend limiting the number of putters so you concentrate on each putt.

PM sent about those Soft Magnets

Latest posts