• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much time do you give a putter?

How long is your trial period for a new putter?

• I know as soon as I hold it!

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • A week/5 rounds or less

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • A month/20 rounds or less

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • As long as it takes...

Votes: 27 22.7%

• Total voters

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm currently hunting for a new putter, and I was wondering how long was a long enough trial run before trying something else. I used to use a severely beat soft magnet, but after I lost it I found that I couldn't replace it with a new one and I don't have the patience to wait a year and half to get another one to that level. I am currently testing a Soft Banger and an APX, but tried the JK Aviar for about a month before those and a pig for about a week before that. It's been about 3 weeks with the banger and APX and they still don't feel quite right. Is 3 - 4 weeks (120 - 160 holes a week) too short of a time to get the feel of a putter? I'm looking for opinions on how long others have taken before they felt a disc "click", NOT advice on trying this putter or that putter. Thanks All!

Id say your right on at 3 weeks or so. If they still dont feel right compare and go from there. Or start scoopin up beat to **** magnets no one wants

Or start scoopin up beat to **** magnets no one wants

This. It sometimes seems people have a phobia of used putters. I just purchased 3 used aviars today and am looking forward to them being useful immediately. Check the marketplace, PIAS or your local course and see what people are willing to part with. If you know any veteran players who throw magnets, odds are they have a pile of broken-in ones lying around.

Never used the marketplace before - I'll have to check it out.

yeah they are pretty awesome i liked them till i found challengers to be superior for my style

:doh::doh::doh:

My smarminess aside, voodoos are good?

it's all I putt with. actually, my first of 1200+ transactions in the marketplace netted me my first voodoo, still in my bag as my primary putter too!

DSC02001.jpg

thats the one! thanks ChaseTheAce!!

it's all I putt with. actually, my first of 1200+ transactions in the marketplace netted me my first voodoo, still in my bag as my primary putter too!

DSC02001.jpg

thats the one! thanks ChaseTheAce!!

Are folks generally down for trades or is it mostly cash? 99% of the time I'm sh!t broke...

We do trades but prefer $$ or sexual favors.

As far as putters the first step is finding one that feels good in your hands. Once you do that then you can test out how she flies.

I do mostly trading but it is more spotty than cash of course!

We do trades but prefer $$ or sexual favors.

As far as putters the first step is finding one that feels good in your hands. Once you do that then you can test out how she flies.

Oooh I can do that! And by that I mean ANYTHING for a Magnet.....

Promiscuity aside, I love the feel of the Banger in hand and I like how it drives, but I push putt inside the circle and can't get used to an overstable putter for that.

Promiscuity aside, I love the feel of the Banger in hand and I like how it drives, but I push putt inside the circle and can't get used to an overstable putter for that.

I take about a month or so, but I don't play as often as most. I get maybe 2 rounds a week in (although with a new basket and a new backyard, I hope to get much more practice). But it's like a new relat

As far as your push-putting, get away from the bead. I know you weren't looking for "try this" or "try that" so I won't start giving specific opinions on molds. But you definitely want a shallow, beadless putter when push putting. Comes out neutral, doesn't need as much power or snap to stay straight, and doesn't fade out or dive as easily as Bangers/Magnets/Wizards.

I take about a month or so, but I don't play as often as most. I get maybe 2 rounds a week in (although with a new basket and a new backyard, I hope to get much more practice). But it's like a new relat

As far as your push-putting, get away from the bead. I know you weren't looking for "try this" or "try that" so I won't start giving specific opinions on molds. But you definitely want a shallow, beadless putter when push putting. Comes out neutral, doesn't need as much power or snap to stay straight, and doesn't fade out or dive as easily as Bangers/Magnets/Wizards.

Thanks! I'll amend my original statement and say that I'm not opposed to suggestions, I just didn't want the thread to devolve into "what's your favorite putter" as this type of thread frequently seems to do

I wasn't feeling the Anode but gave it 3-4 rounds and now am in love with it. The Ion I can't use as a putter. The Wizard I knew on my first putt.. VP from Vibram, ESP and Pro-D Zepplins (Ace Race disc), and Soft Magnet never felt good.. Never gonna use those again..

Ions and Wizards are going to take a lot of snap to drill putts outside of 10-15 feet.

Try a Warlock, or even an Anode. It depends on what you like in the feel of your putter. Warlocks you can get really gummy and soft, Anodes are going to be stiffer and slicker.

Throw it into the ground real hard a few times. If it feels good in your hand that's the one you want. The stability can be changed.

Then go buy 10 more and practice with them at home, they will break in on their own if you practice enough. Plus you will be a good putter from all the practice.

The first putt I made with a Wizard, I knew. I've looked at other putters since then to keep things interesting, but it's pretty much a moot point.

Prior to finding the Wizard, how long I tried a putter depended upon how comfortable it was. If it was uncomfortable, it didn't make it past the first round (or to the register). If it was semi-comfortable or comfortable and putted well, it stayed in the bag long enough to season a little and give me an indication of how it putted beyond new.

Then go buy 10 more and practice with them at home, they will break in on their own if you practice enough. Plus you will be a good putter from all the practice.

^^You'll never be in this situation again if you follow this advice.