• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much time do you give a putter?

How long is your trial period for a new putter?

• I know as soon as I hold it!

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • A week/5 rounds or less

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • A month/20 rounds or less

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • As long as it takes...

Votes: 27 22.7%

• Total voters
No, but there are discs designed to accomodate different putting styles. If they push putt or float it in, I would never give them an Ion. Giving them a Warlock doesn't instantly make them a better putter, but it DOES give them the better tool to develop the skill.

You don't put a 16 year old behind the wheel of a Mack truck and say, "you can either drive a car or you can't."

Definitely feeling what you're saying here. So getting a little off topic, are you saying a warlock is generally conducive to push putting?

The Warlock is just a personal favorite, and I like the wide range of plastics. Basically a beadless, neutral, lower profile putter is what I would put in your hands. Once you start getting a feel for neutral flights, and gaining some confidence, you can start looking at more stable putters. Or just stay with beadless putters.

It's really all about whatever works best for you. But finding a good starting point is key. Hell, I used to putt with a Pro-D Buzzz because I would just arm everything and it took the least effort to stay straight to the basket.

a couple of weeks is what it took for me to decide the magic worked better for me than an aviar out to around 50-60 feet, a couple of throws with a zone is what it took me to decide the zone was my new drive and approach putter....

Buy 3 new soft magnets. Take one and throw it into things hard for a week. Use it. Work on the other two when you practice putt so you'll have a couple backups in case you lose your primary putter.

Buy 3 new soft magnets. Take one and throw it into things hard for a week. Use it. Work on the other two when you practice putt so you'll have a couple backups in case you lose your primary putter.

Yeah if I can't get any beat ones on the marketplace I may do just that. I did some browsing at the local disc shoppe today and held a Soft Magnet for the first time since I lost my original. It definitely felt good in hand so I'm going to make sure to get one one way or the other.

I said a month, as I don't play but maybe one or two times a week, and a month I think is a good amount of time to figure out what works or not. I got a new Champ Rhyno that I'm just not liking, so it may go the way of my old Birdie, which sucked and didn't stay in the bag for longer than a few weeks. I'm thinking of either going back to the aviar or branch out more, but I'm leaning to the aviar.

I said a month, as I don't play but maybe one or two times a week, and a month I think is a good amount of time to figure out what works or not. I got a new Champ Rhyno that I'm just not liking, so it may go the way of my old Birdie, which sucked and didn't stay in the bag for longer than a few weeks. I'm thinking of either going back to the aviar or branch out more, but I'm leaning to the aviar.

Yeah the Rhyno is definitely different, and a Champ Rhyno will be the beefiest of the different plastic types. Overstable putters like the Rhyno, Zone, and Pig seem to end up being used for approach and driving duties more often than putting.

my first putter was a Avaiar P&A, ive messed around with magnets and yetis but im back to aviars and i dont plan on changing any time soon

With the CryZtal Callengers, I knew they were "the one", before I even touched one! I was playing a round a few years ago with a couple of local pro's, and was watching the amazing things they were doing with them, and had to get some. I haven't seriously putted with anything else since. I am checking out some MVP stuff, and are thinking about trying a focus though just for s's and giggles.

Until Nov. I'd used a Gumbputt for near 10 years[just don't...]. Now I've got a P Rhyno that's really helped my putting, and just got an RP Aviar and have yet to throw it.

I tried a champ rhyno and hated how it felt. It felt like garbage digging into my hand. But I do see alot of love for them in tourneys in the portland area. Not quite as much as wizards and aviars.

I have a 161 dart and an 175 aviar. I use the dart for longer "go for it" shots and the aviar for shorter stuff, but i'm thinking i like the flight of the ion. thoughts on the ion?

I have a 161 dart and an 175 aviar. I use the dart for longer "go for it" shots and the aviar for shorter stuff, but i'm thinking i like the flight of the ion. thoughts on the ion?

I really dislike the mvp plastic. I wish I could get over this to really give that company another try.

Putted with a DX Aviar P & A for my first three years. Then changed to a JK-Pro Aviar and haven't looked back!

I was pretty sure I would never use anything other than a ProLine Rhyno for putting at one point.

Funny story, I made a bet with a buddy during a round that I could beat him by 3 strokes and I did so. Our bet was that we'd get to choose a disc out of the other ones "trunk stock" (we usually keep bins in our discs to sell) So I won my bet and chose this sweet feeling Omega 1.20 out of his trunk. Threw it it my bag the next day and decided to give it a test run. That day I tied my course record at my home course and didn't miss one putt inside of 40 feet. Same friend from the day before was with me that day and was pretty shocked I had just taken a disc from him and made it my right hand secret weapon basically overnight. So now I'm obsessed with Omegas and only putt with a Rhyno if I'm going around something or it's really windy lol.

I was pretty sure I would never use anything other than a ProLine Rhyno for putting...now I'm obsessed with Omegas and only putt with a Rhyno if I'm going around something or it's really windy lol.

Proof that it's the archer, not the arrow.

or just get a voodoo and /thread.

This. But in all reality, I really don't think the putter you use makes that much of a difference. It is all about technique and practice. Proper mechanics and practice is what works for me. Aside from that, I just choose my putter by how it feels in the hand.

Latest posts