• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much time do you give a putter?

How long is your trial period for a new putter?

• I know as soon as I hold it!

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • A week/5 rounds or less

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • A month/20 rounds or less

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • As long as it takes...

Votes: 27 22.7%

• Total voters
This. But in all reality, I really don't think the putter you use makes that much of a difference. It is all about technique and practice. Proper mechanics and practice is what works for me. Aside from that, I just choose my putter by how it feels in the hand.

This is all there is to it. Brag up "your" putter all you want, it's the user not the disc.

I think a week or so is a pretty fair number, seems like when I was going through my putting crisis it was a new putter every week or so. Took me about a month a a half to finally settle on a brand and another week or two to settle on the molds.

I have a lot of different putter molds. If I start to slump for just a couple of rounds... new mold. If it doesn't work within a couple of rounds... new mold. etc.

If you push putt and like a stable putter, you may give a Ridge a try. If you like it, they never change (beat in). They will be the same for you for years. (VP is more stable, Summit is less stable). They're made of rubber, so you may or may not like the feel. It's worth a try. When it comes time to replace them, they're all very close to the same. (all 7 of my ridges feel and fly almost identical.)

MVP products (Ion and Anode) are very consistent and are excellent quality. It will be a feel thing with them too.

All putters are good. Find your fit. When you find one, you will know pretty quick.

I forgot to mention the Vibram Sole. Dome top, beveled wing like a traditional putter in Vibram's rubber. It won't wear out either. Again, worth a try.

I'm currently hunting for a new putter, and I was wondering how long was a long enough trial run before trying something else. I used to use a severely beat soft magnet, but after I lost it I found that I couldn't replace it with a new one and I don't have the patience to wait a year and half to get another one to that level. I am currently testing a Soft Banger and an APX, but tried the JK Aviar for about a month before those and a pig for about a week before that. It's been about 3 weeks with the banger and APX and they still don't feel quite right. Is 3 - 4 weeks (120 - 160 holes a week) too short of a time to get the feel of a putter? I'm looking for opinions on how long others have taken before they felt a disc "click", NOT advice on trying this putter or that putter. Thanks All!

For everyone who claim they know the best putters I challenge you to a putting contest using the putter you claim is the best. I will prove it's the user not the putter. :)

I know the putter you use is not what I use since what I use was only produced in 1988. I will beat or tie anyone that accepts this challenge. :popcorn:

A lot of you say putters shouldn't matter, its form. Im a pretty damn good putter and if I pick up other putters and throw it the same way I do my aviars, they come out wobbly and inaccurate... Now yes I can adjust to the putter and stay banging putts, but I do have to switch form or grip. Get what feels comfortable in the hand and has a clean release.

Try it for as long as you need, if you don't like it after a few rounds, get rid of it.
Eventually one will just work it's way into your bag.

For everyone who claim they know the best putters I challenge you to a putting contest using the putter you claim is the best. I will prove it's the user not the putter. :)

I know the putter you use is not what I use since what I use was only produced in 1988. I will beat or tie anyone that accepts this challenge. :popcorn:

The only reason I suggested Vibram or MVP putters is because they won't "wear out" on you. "IF" you like them, they remain the same for an extended life and are easily replaced with a new one.

I would assume that a putter "only produced in 1988" would be somewhat difficult to replace.