• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How often do you buy a new disc?

This year I'd guess I bought around 10 discs. Traded for another 10 probably. Sold a fair amount this year though so I justified it.

I usually buy 1-2 at a time, and my buying sprees happen at one of two times. Either one of the boutique manufacturers who I like releases something I find even the slightest bit interesting and I pounce on it to try it (MVP's speed 7 fairway drivers for instance) or one of the main players releases something that I think will fill a slot in my bag (Buzzz OS).

My disc buying history is probably not that unusual. Beginning in the early 2000's I played in college as a 1-3 disc wonder, and enjoyed the game thoroughly. I only played one course, so an Eagle, Spider, and JK Aviar were all I needed, although I did buy a few extra discs when I was feeling flush with cash. I bought only Innova because their flight ratings made more sense than Discraft's, and their plastic looked nicer. After college I quit playing for many years.

When I got back into the game a few years ago I found a local disc golf store and this site and realized how many options there were. Back when I was in college it was only Innova and Discraft (at least in Bowling Green Ohio) and as I said I didn't throw Discraft. In college I was choosing between buying a disc and buying beer for the weekend. Now I'm choosing between buying a few discs and cooking at home, or going out for a nice steak somewhere. My point is that the consequences of a disc buying mistake were and are significantly reduced, which left me the option to try out Westside, Legacy, Discraft, MVP, Vibram, Lat 64, Failent and Gateway. I went through a period where I was buying 1-2 discs a week, and giving up on discs before really learning them.

Now I've found a fairly stable mixed bag. Roughly half of the MFG's listed above have a place in there. At this point I'm kind of getting back to my college mindset of only buying from certain MFG's because I can compare a Volt to an Amp, or a VP to a Sole and know what I'm getting. I'm not saying I won't give others a try, but it is going to be harder to find a spot in the bag for new discs, so now I buy less. As others have said, mainly backups and or cool colors to dye.

Depends if I like the discs I buy or not. I usually look to grab something to fill a spot or replace something but if I don't like my choice I will buy another disc for that spot.

My bag is fairly set now and I try to not impulse buy new hyped discs since you can only throw so many. I can totally see how people buy so many but I do my best to resist. I usually pick a or two disc up here or there. Make a big order of 5 or more, maybe once a year. I think I bought around 10-15 this year but only cause I re-did most of my bag early on.

Fairly rarely.

Only when I really need to (i.e., I don't have any remaining backups of a certain mold).

maybe 10 times a year with the majority of those being in support of various events. for myself to throw more like 2-3 times a year.

When I started, I'd buy big boxes from an in state online vendor sometimes 12-15 at a time. $150 orders were not uncommon. Now that we have an active club with a disc stash (which oddly enough we get from that same vendor), I just usually pick up one at league now and then when a new mold I want to try comes out or I need a backup.

When I started last year I would by one or two a week. Now that I know that you don't automatically get the flight path shown in the chart I've slowed way down. Also, for me it has to be a particular color and weight. Blue because I've found it easier to find when the disc lands in the shule and around 150 g because I'm having better success with the lower weight discs.

Well, I just started playing over a year ago so I'm trying not to buy too much too fast. I'm up to 23 discs I believe. Three I've found and one was given to me so I've bought about two per month. Not til this week did I buy a different putter. Can safely say I've learned the first one I bought pretty well. I'm trying to hold off the next itch to purchase any more so someone can get me a few for Christmas gifts. That and I won't be playing as much in the winter due to it getting dark and me working during the day. :\

I certainly buy more than I can use. I buy lots of replacements because my local course has some unrecoverable loss areas (deep water). Also, I will buy several replacements in series until I can find a disc (Force & Tern) that has the same stability as the lost one. I also love to try new discs and if they don't work out, I generally give them to new players. So, 10-15 discs per year with 5-6 of those due to losses.

I still try a new mold or two each year, but really no more, as my bag is set and I'm very happy with it. I just keep trying to tweak it to see if I can find something "a little better." For example, bought a Sentinel MF as an alternative to my Hornets and a Super Stingray as an alternative to my Buzzzs. Neither new disc has replaced the old standby to date.

Plus I'll buy backups when I'm somewhere out of town that actually sells discs. My local Dunhams stocks one DX Starter Set and that's it. DOH!!!

Plus I enjoy the market place on here, too. Have made some nice trades and purchases.

So, all in all, probably 10-12 new discs a year for the last couple years. And Christmas is coming, too! :D

I'm always looking to try new stuff. I buy at least 1-2 discs per month. At Christmas I'll go a little crazy and buy 5-6.

If my wife is reading this I hardly ever buy a new one.

Depends on how often go to the marketplace..... >.>

It takes a special disc for me to go into a store and buy it, since 99% of discs I see in stores are all the same. Nothing new. Online I have had much better luck finding discs i want/need.....

In the beginning I bought a bunch of discs. Like TeeRex what a bad ass name for a disc. Little did I know about its characteristics.

Now that I understand what is going on I buy maybe 1-2 a quarter depending on who, if anyone, has organic warlocks in stock for my putting practice in the back yard.

Very rarely with cash. I have a big enough stash built up over the years from tournament winnings that I don't have to buy anything extra. New releases don't exactly tickle my fancy. I have my backup TLs, Sidewinders, Terns, and Mako3s, so what else do I need? Is a new disc suddenly going to turn me into a better putter? (I'm a big fan of the new TL3s and Thunderbirds, though.)
I'll purchase tournament fundraiser discs every now and then, and most of the time they end up on my wall, not in my bag, so I don't really count them...

I'm a sucker for Roc's and I can't help but buy one that feels just right. Since amassing a stack of them, I think I'm done ..... for now anyway.

I do keep a list in my wallet of discs I would like to check out if I come across them. Still looking for a star Teebird, haven't come across one all year!

I'm pretty much over the new mold of the day mad search though.

Latest posts