• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get your spouse interested in DG?

LoPan12

Double Eagle Member
So how would you go about getting your significant other into DG? Consider the hypothetical that she (or he...are there even any females here?) has no aptitude for sports, has a firm belief in her lack of hand-eye coordination, is shy/embarrassed to "fail" [being not good at something on the first try, in this case] at something in public/in front of people, and gets frustrated at me when I try to teach her.

Okay, I'll admit though, the last one it completely my fault. I'm an awful teacher. Really awful. Add to that I've only been playing a few months, so I'm not really qualified to teach this game to others...though I still try (i've gotten 2 friends into it! though not as fanatically as myself...)
The only ideas I have are 1) take her to a short, short course, when there's almost no one else there, 2) Buy a basket (BEST excuse to buy a basket!!!) to guide her and let her practice on.

Also, what discs would you recommend I get her? Are Wizards a good putter to start her out on? I only ask because I have 6 of them...
Should I go for 150 class discs? Thanks for any input!

My wife is all about the Innova Pegasus and Cro. In the 160g area. The buying of a practice basket idea works very well. My son and I just got one recently and my wife and daughter have been out practicing putts every night since we got it.

Promise her a new pair of shoes for each birdie. Could get expensive if she turns out to be good. ;)

Yes on the 150 class discs. If she doesn't want to try it, then you can't/shouldn't force it. My wife will walk the course with me, pushing the baby in the stroller, but she doesn't want to play. I mentioned it once, she said, 'no' and I haven't mentioned it again. Your relationship may be different, but when I insist that she tries stuff, she decides that she doesn't like it before even trying it.

You don't!!! contrary to popular belief you do not have to spend every waking moment with your spouse. While you are out chucking discs he or she can be doing what they want. Time apart relaxing or spent with your individual group of friends is a good thing. Let go and be a man! Or maybe a lady. Whatever. Don't force your hobbies on your supposed best friend.

Lol, no, the question is asked because I'm trying to find her a hobby/diversion. Shes open to trying, just doesn't like the idea of looking like a total noob in front of people other than me. Also she doesn't have a lot of free time yet. Pharmacy residency...so this won't be implemented till next spring or summer...
But its a good way for me to relax, so maybe it will work for her as well. well, it relaxes me when I don't throw a horrible horrible round... :)
Most of time when I'm throwing, she is either at work, or at home working on something residency related

Hhmmmmm...

1- Pretend you are into the stuff she likes, maybe she will reciprocate.
2- Ask her to go with you and just walk the course. She may start to throw out of boredom.
3- I like the "shoes for birdies" but that could get pricey.
4- Withhold sex??? Are you nuts? Take what you can get and never take it away.
5- Just go with your buddies and let her do her own thing during that time.

My wife knows that I will be gone at least one day each weekend from 6am to 1pm (the course is an hour away). We have the rest of the evening to hang out. She is always welcome to come but never made to do so. When she comes, she plays if she so desires and does not take it seriously (and doesn't want to be told how to play). Keep it fun, that is why we play.

If this fails, get a divorce and find a chick that likes DG.

My girlfriend is as casual a DGer as they come. She plays with me to be outside and spend time with me, not because she's huge on DG...not to say she doesn't enjoy it. She gets excited when she sinks a 30' putt.

What's worked best for her disc selection wise is a SSS Magic for putting and approach, as she finds it easy to control. for drivers, she was using an Element with decent success, but I found a 150g Stingray and it goes further and doesn't fade as hard for her.

Also, I let her play how she wants. She wants to throw from my drive instead of hers? Go for it. Skip a few holes because she doesn't feel like throwing them? No problem. Not trying to critique her form and shot style too much. I'll give her general pointers here and there if I think she's getting frustrated, but I keep in mind she approaches the game much, much differently than I do.

You could also try filling up your water bottle with your spouse's favorite wine. That always makes for a fun round :)

Last edited:
tell her if she makes a hole in one you'll do the dishes for the rest of your life

then pray she doesnt do it

tell her if she makes a hole in one you'll do the dishes for the rest of your life

then pray she doesnt do it

Dishes are my chore as it is...
I hate my wife...LIFE, I meant to say LIFE. :doh:

pimp-hand-hand-demotivational-poster-1197477609.jpg

Latest posts