• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to get your spouse interested in DG?

I will say that it's really hard to teach when you haven't gained proper basics yourself. I see tons of guys that muscle the disc get upset when their girl can't muscle it.
I hate to say it but if one doesn't want to look like a newb then maybe dg isn't the right hobby- it takes years for most to feel comfortable in their game while many of the best are never satisfied and continue to learn.

Ashley likes 150ish leopards and mid sixties comets.
Play doubles.

Shes open to trying, just doesn't like the idea of looking like a total noob in front of people other than me.

Well, two things... Play with her so she learns. And she must learn that everybody starts out as a noob at everything. She should get over her pride and start doing things she enjoys no matter what other people think of it.

As to how to get her interested : Tell her that discgolf is where you will spend most of your free time. If she wants to see you, she will have to become interested in DG sooner or later :thmbup:

I quit trying, I was only irritating her. Now, depending on the course, she might tag along just to get out in the woods and get some walking exercise. My wife enjoys biking, but I've tried the barter system with that to no avail. But it's also true, sometimes having separate activities can be healthy. I enjoy her company when she tags along, but I also enjoy playing by myself as well. It's my "Me" time.

Try stashing chocolate at each basket. When she gets there, she can have it. Pray she is not a crazy freek that just goes running from basket to basket grabbing chocolate.

Luckily my wife has a lot of fun since I let her get a disc of her choice to play with. The only time she doesn't like it is when I start getting back into the "addiction" of disc golf and can't quit talking or thinking about it. lol

I just showd her a picture of Zenbot. She is disapointed though, she has been all over the east coast and has never seen him :)

You don't!!! contrary to popular belief you do not have to spend every waking moment with your spouse. While you are out chucking discs he or she can be doing what they want. Time apart relaxing or spent with your individual group of friends is a good thing. Let go and be a man! Or maybe a lady. Whatever. Don't force your hobbies on your supposed best friend.

Took the words out of my mouth.

You don't!!! contrary to popular belief you do not have to spend every waking moment with your spouse. While you are out chucking discs he or she can be doing what they want. Time apart relaxing or spent with your individual group of friends is a good thing. Let go and be a man! Or maybe a lady. Whatever. Don't force your hobbies on your supposed best friend.

My wife and Jrawk's girlfriend go shopping while we play. Disc golfing has gotten REALLY F'n expensive

If she throws a bad shot say "Wow, that form makes you look fat." or "Your sidearm reminds me of your overbearing needy mother." For a little tree love you could say "Wow, that tree loves you more than your Dad..."

I think either of those would work.

my girlfriend is a super casual player (only plays with me) pretty much decribed as you did in the OP. she'll just grip it and rip it. 150 always down the fairway..

but she got interested cuz i just asked her to come along with me once, she immediately asked, "do i have to play?!" i said, "no, but trust me, halfway through you'll want to."

about halfway through the round she asked if she could try so i gave her a disc from my bag. she was hooked. on the way home she asked if we could stop so she could get her own :D

EDIT: like said above though, it's nice to go out by yourself

My wife started because I was spending a lot of time playing, so she decided that she wanted to try it. For awhile she was only there to be outside and spend time with me. She now says that she's gotten better since last Summer and really enjoys it.

Not to mention we're friends with another couple we've known for a long time who play disc golf. It helps her a lot playing with another girl who is about her skill level.

Between my wacky swing shift rotation schedule and her amount of work, I'd still have plenty of me time, no need to worry about that guys. Plus, it would give us a chance to hang out outdoors more often. I'm working on getting another couple to come play...maybe I should time it the same, so they all suck - err, I mean start out fresh. ^_^ Says the guy playing for 4 months. Which is a disclaimer I throw out at random doubles. And then I get teased for being a ringer a third of the time, which does make me feel good =]
My buddy who played my first round with me looked at me and said "You've never thrown a [DG] disc before? Bull****!" Later that week I learned that random **** I tried were things like "anhyzers" and "flex shots" :D that helped to get me addicted!

Last edited:
If she throws a bad shot say "Wow, that form makes you look fat." or "Your sidearm reminds me of your overbearing needy mother." For a little tree love you could say "Wow, that tree loves you more than your Dad..."

I think either of those would work.

if you happen to follow this advice, please, PLEASE have someone nearby with a video camera so i can see the reaction.

Latest posts