• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to make baskets thief proof.

de1937c5.jpg

True, but almost everything metal thieves destroy is worth more than they get for the metal. They'll destroy a $10,000 HVAC unit for $50, and risk electrocution in the process. (Sadly, it's a small risk).

Or 10k with of damage to a house for $200 in scrap.

How much does average basket weight? Seems like youd need quite a few for a small fix.

True, but almost everything metal thieves destroy is worth more than they get for the metal. They'll destroy a $10,000 HVAC unit for $50, and risk electrocution in the process. (Sadly, it's a small risk).
But its not about the value of what they destroy, it about the value of what they can get for what they steal. I might lend more credence to the metal thieves theory on stolen baskets if I saw other things made of the same material disappearing. Plenty of chain link fence in remote areas to steal out there.

Most permanent baskets are about 60-70 pounds. I think the steel they're made of is fetching about 25 cents a pound. So maybe $15-20 a basket. They can do better on Craigslist.

.25 cents a lb is about 20x too high i think. Like $200 / ton last time we dropped off a truck full of metal furnace housings and random bs from a demo. Truck was around 10k loaded. Check wasnt much $ lol.

We have a new course in Sumter SC that is only 3 months old and already someone has tried to steal 13 of the more secluded baskets in the woods. I went out there today and found them dug out of the ground, laying on their side, sleeve, concrete and all. The ones they couldn't get out they broke off at the sleeve bending the tongue and holding on by the lock. I want to just permanently place them in. What are some cheaper ways we could really secure these baskets?

Like others are saying, there are 3 potential suspects.
1. someone taking the baskets to sell to a scrap metal outfit.
2. someone stealing the baskets to use or sell as disc golf baskets.
3. someone vandalizing the course for personal reasons.

Were the police called in on this? This is a criminal matter, they may have some potential suspects in mind.

As to your question is there a way to make baskets theft proof? No way, if someone really wants to take a basket they will cut the pipe or break it off somehow.

This looks hard to excavate, but still very easy to cut or bend the pole.

I think BogeyNoMore suggested something with rebar in it... I've seen folks put concrete into the pole but that doesn't really work well... I've cut through pipe with concrete in it with just a hacksaw... maybe concrete and rebar in it... or high strength steel rope. I posted earlier about a cat clamp for my catalytic converter... that stuff is pretty hard to cut through.

I imagine a big concrete base with concrete and rebar (or steel rope) in the pole would be a stong deterrent... once a thief or vandal tried to get through one they might reconsider keeping that up with the other baskets

heh... that is pretty intense

If the problem is pervasive, why not try one of those wild game cams?

wildgame_innovations_a8n2_nature_shoppe_wing_spy_1403635584000_1059773.jpg

People are unlikely to notice these things in a nearby tree and it may give photographic evidence of who the culprit is... They could be moved around too... just a thought

If going with a solid pole that won't be moved, put a few pieces of rebar inside the pole, then fill post with concrete ...ain't no one gonna cut through that. As far as digging them outta the ground, all I can think of is securing the collar in a large enough piece of cement as to not be practical to deal with for thievery.

If you have collars, as far as I know, you have to padlock the poles to the collars.. which is likely to be a weak point.

I like this idea. Also, when you pour the base, use the chain kink fence idea and cement that in as well. It will be a pain in the butt to do however this could work. The other thing I guess I would do is put a piece of rebar as thick as the inside of the pole but not secure it so that if they try and saw through it, it will spin. Then put a plug in the top.
What a pain to keep vandals from taking baskets. Good Luck

When you pour the concrete "Bell" the bottom to the point its the sane as the basket. 100 lbs. of concrete....very unlikely they with be pulles or dug out. On the center pole weld re bar on two sides so a pipe cutter cant be used. J.B. weld the locking coller.

Seems like pretty high tech stuff, but when I first read DNA Spray, my initial thought was, "Sounds like something you might see on a different sorta website..." :\

Motion triggered game cam hidden in a nearby tree sounds like a decent idea if not too expensive.

Last edited:
Maybe etch the course name and contact info of the parks department or whatever into the pole so when the thieves try to sell the basket it could turn up? Probably would work best as a supplement to other methods.

It really sucks that people are undoing your work. If you are not looking to hold high level tournaments, an object or tone pole course could be a solution. You can build nice tone poles for under $10/ hole if you use recycled materials. We have put tone poles in four areas where the land managers have told us that stealing and vandalism would be problematic and have never had a problem. I have never seen or heard of anyone stealing a painted tree trunk (a typical object target), but I have never been to your area either...
I also agree that it would be very cool to be able to document and/or catch the person(s) taking your baskets. Good luck!!

As long as the dog doesn't dig up the base of the basket, nothing to worry about. Photocells can be rigged two ways, to trigger when exposed to light, or to trigger when light disappears.