• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to not destroy my throwing hand on distance shots?

Could try 3M Nexcare absolute water proof tape. This stuff works wonders for me and is flexible. I've left this stuff on for two days and still haven't had it come off.

download.jpg

Pretty easy fix. Just lop off the tip of that finger. You'll be forced to change your grip to accommodate.. Maybe you can figure out how to make it a work place injury, and reap the rewards of workers comp.

I think I can help. When I started working on some snap drills a month or more ago I got a big blister like that in exactly the same spot, but I had a tournament the following weekend. Here's what I did, and I was pretty satisfied with myself as it protected the blister and stood up to further throws without feeling awkward. The key here is getting the tape oriented in the same direction the disc edge will be pulling out of the finger, but also getting it very secure.

Take a piece of hockey stick tape, at least 10
+ cm long, and cut it in half lengthwise so that it's only about half the width of your finger (bit more than 0.5cm). You can use other tapes if they're strong, but my preference for hockey tape was the friction of the cloth felt the least awkward in how it interacted with the surface of the disc. Especially forehand, the slipperiness of the tape on your finger gives an uneasiness to your grip, so you want to minimize it. Even better, the glue of the tape seeps through as you play and the grip increases to where it almost feels advantageous. Tensor also makes a very similar cloth tape to stick tape, in case you live in hell (no hockey).

Orient the tape over the blister on the tip of your finger at a 45 degree angle to everything else (your finger nail, etc.) such that the left side of the tape avoids the nail (right handed), equal amounts of tape both sides. Wrap the right side, bottom of your finger, down your finger so that it spirals... then do the left side over the top. The upper part winds up on top when they first overlap, which helps stabilize it because the bottom part will get tested as the disc comes out.

Here's a quick thing I did at work to show the final result, but I did the tape too short because I don't have much here. The further down your finger it goes, the more stable it will feel; it at least needs to go past both knuckles so it doesn't peel away when you sweat.

http://chattypics.com/files/IMG_0124JPG_8wofyd0y9g.jpg

Yeah I know it looks funny, but trust me... give it a try. I tried a bunch of different things and this was head and shoulders the best, I could forget about the blister fully, both forehand and backhand the disc coming out full speed doesn't mess with it. The only catch is grip, but if it feels too smooth you can try things like rubbing some wax on it to give it a bit of friction. I didn't find I needed to, sweat pushed the glue through pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Coming on this late, I have something small to offer.

Ive done a lot of heavy lifting and kettlebell work over the years and hand conditioning can become a problem.

Most of my issue personally came from the build up of callous, which then gets thick, and gets caught on things, resulting in torn callouses and blood blisters.

My solution: I sand the callouses off with a dremel once or twice a week. Not all the way off of course, but enough to flatten them out so that they dont get caught on edges and things. It really beats the hell out of having a giant open sore where a callous used to be.

Hope it helps. Love your vids, Mike, Love the music.

Latest posts