• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hunt's Mean 18, Rindge NH

Yeah they only open it for the one two-round event each year. Its on private land surrounding a residence set way back in the woods off Rt 202.
This year (and in years past) you could go up on Friday to play some practice rounds and an optional Skins game. The main event was on Saturday with the option to camp out on the property Fri-Sun. Although there were no official events planned for Sunday, a bunch of folks stuck around and played and partied.
It cost $25 to get one of the 90 available slots which sold out in like three hours. Cash payouts for the Pro levels and up with "Marshall St. Bucks" gift certs for the AM1 and down levels. Also cash payouts for CTP's and and Ace pot that paid $180 ($2.00 per player as part of the $25 entry fee).

There's a LOT of "regulars" who play there, I gathered. As such, there was a decent spread of talent levels from Rec (4 players) to the Grandmaster level with the majority being AM1 & AM2's. Several players from established New England teams were there as were also a handful of ladies.

This was the first time my brother and I had played there and our opinions were that it was....ummm... ok. I'll give it a 6 out of 10 but my brother was tougher with a 4/10.

If you're familiar with the course at Devens, MA its relatively similar in regard to elevation changes and close, wooded fairways. However, it is even tighter with twisting fairways, more heavily wooded (all of it... zero open field shots) edged with mostly pines, laurels, mossy boulders, and tons of hardwood saplings. It's also more undeveloped and definitely shorter then Devens in most cases. There's a few water hazards in the form of a small brook/river that winds through parts of the course with Hole 18 being one of the longest holes downhill to a beautiful, idyllic spot right on the edge of a large pool by a dirt road/wooden bridge. Lots of discs ended up in said pool.

Overall, its a relatively short Par 3 course (longest hole was around 280' downhill) that's really tight and highly technical. Right from infamous Hole 1 its obvious that you're in for a tough ride. The nature of the place makes it an even playing field for intermediates through Pro level with the emphasis on great approaches and putts. Novices with short arms will do well here too since a big drive will only get you into trouble in most cases. Just concentrate on staying on the fairway or you're doomed.
The Tee's are all natural dirt (and roots and rocks) with old-school no-name dual-row baskets. The kind with those little bent-over nubs at the joints on top of the basket that can catch or deny your low-flung putt. Lots of elevation changes, blind shots, challenging basket placements, a couple water hazards, offical OB's and mando's, and again (can't say it enough) if you should end up off the fairway, you're generally screwed. There's two or three possible Ace's to be had but generally even a Birdie will take some patience and finesse on most holes.

As an AM2 (I've only played in two tournaments in my three years of playing), I scored a 70/64 in my practice rounds Friday and 66/58 in my two official tournament rounds to take 4th place. Low score for the day was a combined 106 by one of the Pro Masters (who nailed an Ace too). Knowledge of the course is really critical to have any hope of getting in the Par neighborhood since you can't generally see the basket from the Tee in most cases and overthrowing your approach shot can be downright disasterous. Had I not had my Friday practices, I'd have been in real trouble! Accurate shot placement is huuuuuge as is your luck with tree deflections and roll-aways down the many steep, wooded, rocky slopes off the fairways.

All in all it was a challenging course about which my brother and I came away with mixed feelings. We prefer a mix of terrain with some open shorts for big drives and some tighter ones for the technical aspects. We're spoiled by Maple Hill, Pyramids, Devens and Borderlands, perhaps... But if you like a short, tough, technical course, then this place should suit you just fine.
Keep an eye out on the local (New England) forums for the tournament announcements though. It sells out QUICK!

The "Mean" 18 certainly seems to live up to it's name! I can't imagine a tighter Devens. Sounds like you had fun even though the course wasn't your liking.

indeed it does! And honestly, I feel it'd make one a better technical player with repeat visits, (my own score improvements over 4 games was a good indicator) but unfortunately, its an exclusive site. Its definitely Devens-like but all those tight pines and twisted fairways up the ante even more... think of Hole #13 at Pyramids, add a bunch of pine trees and lots of tumblestone rocks, then lay it on its side a-la Hole #18 at Devens and you get the idea... :)