• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hyzer flip for d

cheese dog

Birdie Member
hello all, I am sure this has be asked before. does hyzer flipping a disc give you extra distance. guys I play with seem to think so and I bombed my longest drive with a mamba hyzerflip.

It can -- but so could a distance anhyzer line.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

Increasing throwing distance is one of the most sought after goals amongst players. From my experiences, most players do not reach their distance potential simply because they do not adequately explore the lines needed to throw for max D. From my experiences watching distance contests (and paying special attention to crowd reaction) I have come to realize that a good number of players do not know the concepts exercised by experienced distance throwers.

Throwing for distance is in fact a very different technique than throwing controlled golf shots, and while not as applicable due to limited use potential, it does serve its purpose in helping players understanding throwing and disc flight in general. Increasing raw distance also helps boost confidence by helping players feel like they can throw farther (when in actuality they are simply utilizing what they already have in a manner that yields greater distance). A player that throws a consistent 380' on low line drives should be able to consistently break 425' while throwing distance lines.

While I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the concepts behind distance technique, I had the chance to interview distance contest veterans and 1000+ rated pros Avery Jenkins and Jon Drummond to get their comments on various aspects of the technique.

While the basic flight path of distance throws involves an S-curve, there are two distinct techniques used to achieve this flight path and I will try to cover both of them in through the meat of this article.

The first style is the distance anhyzer, which dominated distance technique from the first official 600' throw performed in 1987 and held the distance record up until 1998. This distance anhyzer is thrown with overstable discs and the general consensus is that the strength of this technique is that it yields very good consistently long distance.

The second style is the hyzer-flip, which has been the preferred method of distance technique since 1998 and been used to set every distance record since then. The hyzer-flip distance technique is generally thrown with stable to understable discs and starting the disc on a hyzer angle, letting it rise, flatten, and turn over. The consensus on the hyzer-flip technique is that current distance drivers are better suited to this method of throwing (since they are much less overstable than earlier sharp-nosed drivers) and that when executed perfectly, yields greater distance potential than the distance anhyzer but is less consistent in its execution.

Avery's comments:
I prefer to throw the hyzer-flip because I can generate lots of power throwing across the chest with a high arm swing; it works well with high-speed, stable to understable drivers. It is easier to get a longer, fuller flight with these drivers because I can utilize their carrying angles in order to achieve maximum distance.

Jon's comments:
I prefer the distance anhyzer because it allows for faster rotation of the body and a stronger pull. Throwing hyzer requires a slight lean forward with the upper body, which widens the rotational axis. This slows you down and decreases your power and strength.

A distance anhyzer will have a very high trajectory and released with significant amounts of anhyzer. The orientation of the disc at the launch will appear to have much more anhyzer than you wish the disc to hold later in flight (this will correct naturally if there is enough height and power on the throw). This throw should be set up with your body aiming to the left, but you will actually pull through the shot slightly to the right of where your body is pointing you (this gets more nose down on the disc).

A hyzer-flip shot will usually have a trajectory that will much more closely resemble a slightly upward line drive. As the disc flattens from a hyzer it will naturally rise (the more hyzer angle at the start the more natural rise the disc will have). This throw again will be aimed to the left but there are multiple takes on the disc direction. Pulling it straight online with where your body is pointing will carry the most power through the throw but pushing it slightly to the left of where your body is aiming will give more nose down and make it easier to flatten the disc.

Seeing the Lines - Distance Technique
by Blake Takkunen--Additional Comments by Avery Jenkins and Jon Drummond

Last edited:
great reply aim, you are a thread guru, I guess I nees to work on my anny for long range.

eh far from guru lol. more like good copy and paste user :p but thanks....

I use both techniques depending on the disc, conditions and terrain.

I read mamba hyzer flip and I had to jump in and say something. I just purchased a 167 champ mamba and when I hit the hyzer flip right it's my longest and smoothest drive in the bag for backhand. I feel like the hyzer flip method gives me less chance for OAT. But more chance to noob hyzer. Just gotta commit to it.

There was one beautiful day, maybe a few beautiful days, early in my disc golf career (a year or so in?) that for a field session or three I added about 50-75 feet with a hyzer flip (for a new player... we're only talking the difference between 225 or 250 and 275 or 300 or _maybe_ 325). It was working pretty consistently, with multiple discs (e.g. understable drivers). Flipped up to flat beautifully, sailed for days.

It's since disappeared. I may know have about that same level of improved distance, but can't throw a hyzer flip (at least for anything faster than my beat to death stingray) to save my life. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've tried.

Not sure if I had some weird OAT in my throw for those days, or if perhaps there was some lightning, briefly bottled, which has since evaporated.

when I parked it on a 421 foot hole with a hyzer flip they looked at me and ask the question "what disc was that?". I was more than reluctant to mumble out the infamous words "f ing mamba".

i prefer a flat to slightly anhyzer release. we're talking juuuuust a tiny bit of anny. too much and it's hard for me to really rip it. a little bit lets me still throw high reliably. pick something with some turn and some fade, but good lateral movement. i find it more forgiving and reliable. i use a pro destroyer mostly thrown flat and high. if i need a good rip in a l/r crosswind i'll use the star destroyer with slight anny or just throw it flat if there's a headwind.

cheese, your anecdote is actually one of the reasons i do not like throwing distance hyzerflips: it requires a fairly understable disc to pull off and frankly i do not trust them. to put a mamba out to 400' straight requires a perfect shot IMO.

Last edited:
mamba on a hyzer flip here too lol. It just doesnt want to be on the ground does it? That was my first 400+ pull.

Moved on to the Lace which had a similar reaction but its faster, and as noted I hod to really commit or i'd just barely roll it to flat.

I've since "graduated" to a Gstar destroyer. I think it's around 165 maybe 168 can't remember. But Now I throw FLAT and a bit higher and to the left, I guess more distance anny. That has been my longest throw to date and I can use that type of throw in a round.

My problem with the hyzer flip is sometimes you dont quite get there, or other times you give it just a little too much sauce and didnt throw it high enough.

For myself, throwing a more stable disc left and high (rhbh) gets me a more round worthy version of the hyzer flip.

Great info Aim for the chains!

My drive has always been the weakest part of my game, except for summer of 2013. I had this old DX Destroyer that was beat up to the point where it was stable enough for me to rip a hyzer-flip with it. The best drives I have ever thrown were with that destroyer but sadly I lost the disc and haven't been able to find a proper replacement yet. Been throwing a Dx Firebird recently and like the results im getting but nothing near my lost destroyer.

for some reason I find hyzer flipping understable disc to be easier than annying stable disc. my anny is terrible and I anny with my wrist. I know the body is supposed to be involved for a proper anny. I guess there was a reason I kept a mamba in my bag. so would most of you agree a hyzerflip definitely gives you free distance?

dude i rock a dx destroyer! :hfive: its my roller i love it

Have you tried the daedalus or vulcan? I feel like those act similar to a beat dc destroyer.

I usually use a FH drive and for distance I use the Anhyzer method I can still hit a target 450 away half decent and if I over or underpower a Hyzerflip it can be wildly unpredictable.

Backhand I use the Hyzerflip more, usually with a Katana or a Hu.

when I parked it on a 421 foot hole with a hyzer flip they looked at me and ask the question "what disc was that?". I was more than reluctant to mumble out the infamous words "f ing mamba".

I don't understand the Mamba joke. Is it the new Groove or something? :doh: I don't even know anymore. I quit playing for 3 years and back then we made fun of the Groove. I just got the Mamba because I liked the flight ratings and I needed something less stable to throw while I was knocking the rust off.

Please tell me the Mamba isn't the new Groove or something.... :gross:

Mamba is definitely not the new Groove. I don't think anything will ever be the Groove, I mean something had to dethrone the Spectra...

I actually use both methods depending on the situation, but I am more comfortable hyzer flipping something with some turn (Champ Tern in my case). My longest throw on flat ground was around ~470' with a hyxer flipped Star Wraith. I will throw something like a fresh Star Wraith or even an S-PD with the flat to anny release in windier conditions with slightly less distance.

I've never seen anyone consistently hyzer-flip w/distance a Mamba. I gave it a try for the first time in gstar and was only 1 for 3 which, compared to my average distance with a solid stable 163g Wraith, was about 50' shorter per throw (each totalled and divided by 3).

Sure the 1 that worked went further than any of my Wraith throws but the other two went left, right, and/or short. Screw that.

Plenty of people consistently throw mambas. Lots of players around my neck of the woods bag 3 or so.

For me I had no problems with Max weight champ mamba. Consistent 400+

Buy my snap outgrew the disc, and I had to throw it so hyzer that I felt it was messing up my form for my other throws.

But for many people I say bag the mamba! It's gonna go real far. So dang glidey.

There was one beautiful day, maybe a few beautiful days, early in my disc golf career (a year or so in?) that for a field session or three I added about 50-75 feet with a hyzer flip (for a new player... we're only talking the difference between 225 or 250 and 275 or 300 or _maybe_ 325). It was working pretty consistently, with multiple discs (e.g. understable drivers). Flipped up to flat beautifully, sailed for days.

It's since disappeared. I may know have about that same level of improved distance, but can't throw a hyzer flip (at least for anything faster than my beat to death stingray) to save my life. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've tried.

Not sure if I had some weird OAT in my throw for those days, or if perhaps there was some lightning, briefly bottled, which has since evaporated.

I feel your pain brother. Used to be able to HyFlip my pro wraith but injuries over the past few years have messed me up. Now I can barely flip an Optomizer. I think it's all in the snap, of which I have little of these days.

Latest posts