• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer flip....

KDinIN

Par Member
I need some education here in terms of hyzer flipping. I get the basic idea here, that you release a disc on a hyzer angle, and the goal is the it flips up straight and flies straighter than it would otherwise.

But I have seen some conversations and threads on here that have me questioning how this works. I thought you hyzer flipped a stable/understable disc. By putting it on a hyzer angle, (especially for a US disc) the natural flight of the disc is what flips it up from the hyzer angle, but that all of the right movement (RHBH) is "used up" (not the scientific terminology I am sure) and you are left with a disc flying straight at the target. I assume then there might be some fade at the end depending on the disc that is flipped.

But I have seem some conversations on here that seem to indicate that you can do the same thing with OS discs, but I don't quite understand how that works. Are those convo's basically just wrong, or can you put enough torque on an OS disc to hyzer-flip it? Is the better option the flex shot for OS (anny release, s curve flight)? I know this might sound dumb, but I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

I need some education here in terms of hyzer flipping. I get the basic idea here, that you release a disc on a hyzer angle, and the goal is the it flips up straight and flies straighter than it would otherwise.

But I have seen some conversations and threads on here that have me questioning how this works. I thought you hyzer flipped a stable/understable disc. By putting it on a hyzer angle, (especially for a US disc) the natural flight of the disc is what flips it up from the hyzer angle, but that all of the right movement (RHBH) is "used up" (not the scientific terminology I am sure) and you are left with a disc flying straight at the target. I assume then there might be some fade at the end depending on the disc that is flipped.

But I have seem some conversations on here that seem to indicate that you can do the same thing with OS discs, but I don't quite understand how that works. Are those convo's basically just wrong, or can you put enough torque on an OS disc to hyzer-flip it? Is the better option the flex shot for OS (anny release, s curve flight)? I know this might sound dumb, but I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Any disc can be hyzer-flipped. It's just most effective, particularly for people without great arm speed, to use an understable disc with true hyzer follow-through and a lean in ... because, as you surmised you can get additional distance if you're not a big arm.

But an overstable disc can be hyzer-flipped as well; you just have to OAT the follow-through (from hyzer line to flat, or however you want the disc to fly). Unfortunately that will cause you to LOSE distance.

It all depends on the stability of the disc. When you say "used up" and goes dead straight, a more understable disc will flip up and keep going right (rhbh) but a disc with more stability will flip up and just go straight.

Any disc can be hyzer flipped in theory... if you can throw a disc with more speed than the HSS will counteract, then there will be some high speed turn to the disc, which can be "used up" by throwing the disc on a hyzer angle. But, for most arms, an OS disc cannot and should not flip. If it does, you're throwing with OAT and therefore is not optimal.

So, yes, typically an US to stable disc is thrown with enough hyzer to counteract the high speed turn portion of the flight, and then you have a more or less straight first portion of the flight. Depending on the disc you are going to have varying amount of LSS that you need to combat as well, which also plays into what angle you throw each disc.

150 surges with my weak arm strength are really easy to HF but don't do it into the wind. Right Turn Klyde.

So, what would be the easiest discs to hyzer flip?

easiest? Something like a summit or really US putter probably... I throw just about everything from a hyzer angle... my most US disc is an ESP AvengerSS. I can throw it with hyzer and it still flips all the way over..

Disc speed plays a part in the perceived stability... but, go to Marshall Street's flight chart, and pick a disc along the right side if you're looking for an US hyzer flip disc.. the slower the disc, the 'flipper' it will be with relation to faster discs.

I have seen a lot of HOD answers on tunnel-esque shots to be to hyzer flip the disc. How far into the throw does it take to flatten out generally.

I have seen a lot of HOD answers on tunnel-esque shots to be to hyzer flip the disc. How far into the throw does it take to flatten out generally.

Depends on the speed, stability and amount of hyzer given on the release .

Generally less hyzer means it flattens and turns over sooner with more hyzer also creating a higher trajectory or natural rise in the flight which then the disc "rides" on that line for majority of the flight.

You can see in the video below where I hyzer flip a very understable putter 325' and for most of the flight it rides straight. Maybe 50' where it first flips up and then it turns over at the end of the flight.

Last edited:

This is COMPLETELY dependent on your power level, the disc, how hard you throw the disc, and how clean your release is, release angle(edit) (OAT?). There are too many factors to generalize about this, but the way you can find out is to get some understable discs and throw them in the field.

Somewhat in answer to the op, any disc that is hyzer flipped is demonstrating understable characteristics which could be from a number of different factors: how hard the disc is thrown, how cleanly the disc is thrown (OAT), and wind.

Most (all?) discs will act understable if they are thrown with enough power. Some discs can't really be brought up to speed to act understable in any kind of practical way.

This is COMPLETELY dependent on your power level, the disc, how hard you throw the disc, and how clean your release is, release angle(edit) (OAT?). There are too many factors to generalize about this, but the way you can find out is to get some understable discs and throw them in the field.

Fair enough, I know that there are all sorts of factors that affect throws like this, so asking such a specific question is probably impossible to get a specific answer. I guess my question is when is it useful. On tunnel shots, especially with the tunnel starting and surrounding the teepad, it would seem dangerous to hyzer flip if the disc hyzers too much and hits a tree before it flips up and flattens out.

Side question... An anny flex shot, or s-curve, gives extra distance. I was a RHFH player for a long time and relied on the anny flex shot pretty drastically. It seems like a hyzer flip is the equivalent to an anny flex shot (in the sense that I throw a OS disc on a "US line" and let the disc ride it out) Could you put enough anny on an OS disc that it basically comes out straight too?

For me, a 151g Opto Air Bolt. I'm not really a big arm, and a lot of people around here might say I shouldn't be throwing a speed 13 disc... but having never broken the 340' barrier before, I hyzer flipped my Bolt 380' last week... so I think I'll keep throwing it.

a birdie or lid like disc. your "toy" Frisbees also are very understable in general and GREAT to learn how to throw different angles.

Lighting makes a disc called the up-shot. Any very slow putter or understable disc is good to learn how to control hyzer. Midranges and slower drivers are good to learn distance control and the different possible lines given the degree of hyzer.

Fair enough, I know that there are all sorts of factors that affect throws like this, so asking such a specific question is probably impossible to get a specific answer. I guess my question is when is it useful. On tunnel shots, especially with the tunnel starting and surrounding the teepad, it would seem dangerous to hyzer flip if the disc hyzers too much and hits a tree before it flips up and flattens out.

Side question... An anny flex shot, or s-curve, gives extra distance. I was a RHFH player for a long time and relied on the anny flex shot pretty drastically. It seems like a hyzer flip is the equivalent to an anny flex shot (in the sense that I throw a OS disc on a "US line" and let the disc ride it out) Could you put enough anny on an OS disc that it basically comes out straight too?

A standard hyzer flip with an US disc is not really the equivalent to an anny flex shot with an OS disc. What the anny flex shot with an OS disc gives is more in predictability. But, thrown correctly, an US disc thrown with hyzer flip will always give more distance than the anny flex (S-shot) with the OS disc of the same speed, glide, fade.

A standard hyzer flip with an US disc is not really the equivalent to an anny flex shot with an OS disc. What the anny flex shot with an OS disc gives is more in predictability. But, thrown correctly, an US disc thrown with hyzer flip will always give more distance than the anny flex (S-shot) with the OS disc of the same speed, glide, fade.

Wait, a hyzer flip gives you more distance than a flex shot? How am I just now hearing this? lol...

So how does a hyzer flip give more distance than a flex shot just curious?

No wind or slight tail wind is perfect for hyzer flipping. A typical hyzer flip throw will flip up fairly quickly, around 30-70ft from throw, level out for a bit (longest part of the throw), slight fade to the right (while still level) and then ultimately fade back to the left at the end.

Great discs to learn hyzer flipping: Mamba 150g, Katana 135g, Unlace 170g

Surprisingly, you don't have to throw max power to hyzer flip these discs and get good distance. While learning, if the disc turns over too quickly and becomes a roller, add more hyzer to your release angle until the disc is flying straight. You want a fairly low ceiling as well. Practice trying to keep it anywhere from 6ft-15ft off the ground. A common problem for people learning how to hyzer flip is keeping the disc nose down while throwing a hyzer. Much harder than it sounds due to the mechanics needed. If the disc turns into a sky shot, you know you're releasing nose up. In my opinion when learning to hyzer flip, it's better to make the mistake of throwing it into the dirt compared to throwing too high.

Any of these discs can also yield some amazing distance when thrown with a high flex shot. But due to the understable'ness of these discs, you have to throw it fairly high so you have enough time for it to flex over and fade back to the left (rhbh). You'll also have to aim much more to the left. These shots take alot of strength, form, etc, but if you have the arm for it, the results can be incredible. So if you threw the same power, etc, the hyzer flip shot will go further than a flex shot because the flex shot has to travel more horizontally compared to the hyzer flip. But....if you can muscle up more power in your flex shot, that has the potential to go further.

Wait, a hyzer flip gives you more distance than a flex shot? How am I just now hearing this? lol...

So how does a hyzer flip give more distance than a flex shot just curious?

It doesn't--

II. The Line

The line of a distance throw basically has four components: launch trajectory and orientation, the apex, the turn (or pan), and the flex. There are notable differences in each point between anhyzer and hyzer-flip techniques, but the concept remains the same: to get as much potential carry out of the disc before it runs out of speed.

Launch Trajectory and Disc Orientation

Launch trajectory refers to the left/right direction and upward angle of the disc upon release. Disc orientation is the hyzer/anhyzer angle of the disc as well as positioning of the nose of the disc at the launch. Both anhyzer and hyzer-flip techniques start the disc out to the left, but that is where the similarity ends.

A distance anhyzer will have a very high trajectory and released with significant amounts of anhyzer. The orientation of the disc at the launch will appear to have much more anhyzer than you wish the disc to hold later in flight (this will correct naturally if there is enough height and power on the throw). This throw should be set up with your body aiming to the left, but you will actually pull through the shot slightly to the right of where your body is pointing you (this gets more nose down on the disc).

A hyzer-flip shot will usually have a trajectory that will much more closely resemble a slightly upward line drive. As the disc flattens from a hyzer it will naturally rise (the more hyzer angle at the start the more natural rise the disc will have). This throw again will be aimed to the left but there are multiple takes on the disc direction. Pulling it straight online with where your body is pointing will carry the most power through the throw but pushing it slightly to the left of where your body is aiming will give more nose down and make it easier to flatten the disc.

Avery's comments:
I aim to the left and try to come through with as much speed as possible from the reach back to the rip. I try to release the disc a little early in order to push it out farther left giving the disc lots of room to work back right across the field. I aim for an upward launch trajectory of around 25-30 degrees.

Jon's comments:
I aim to the left but pull through the shot making sure that my left shoulder comes through over the disc and I try to get the disc high with how high depending upon the type of wind.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

Latest posts