• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer flip....

I just kinda skimmed this thread but:

Your original assumptions were correct :hfive: Controlled OAT and torquing aren't hyzer flipping.

Wrong.

Yes you can throw hyzerflips with clean form and something truly understable, but you can also alter your hyzerflip just like line shaping - with intentional OAT. By the way controlled Off Axis Torque and [controlled] torquing are the same thing:doh: Sometimes I want it to flip and start turning at 80' and some times I want to wait until closer to 250' - that isn't as simple as adjusting the release angle from 8:30 to 7 oclock. It's an acquired skill to intentionally torque something, and even more so of one to use it properly on your hyzerflips.

I just kinda skimmed this thread but:

Wrong.

Yes you can throw hyzerflips with clean form and something truly understable, but you can also alter your hyzerflip just like line shaping - with intentional OAT. By the way controlled Off Axis Torque and [controlled] torquing are the same thing:doh: Sometimes I want it to flip and start turning at 80' and some times I want to wait until closer to 250' - that isn't as simple as adjusting the release angle from 8:30 to 7 oclock. It's an acquired skill to intentionally torque something, and even more so of one to use it properly on your hyzerflips.

So, what is it exactly that you think you are doing to the disc with "torque" that is making it flip?

I figure this thread is as good as any to post this one - but is anyone else in a love / hate relationship with hyzer flipping US discs? I've been flippin' my roadrunners for a few weeks now and I have to say that when done right it is amazing all of the different flight paths I can get from my super flippy roadrunners. From a dead straight lazer...flip up to a late turn...small flip with a bigger turn...and wow the extra distance I can get.

....but....

With that said it is so darn finicky. Misjudge the wind a tiny bit, or a little more/less hyzer than intended, or even worse a little more/less snap than I planned on and it can go all sorts of sideways (literally & figuratively). I end up with both some of my best and worst shots with this.

Now I know part of my issue is I just need to put more time in, which I am working on and it is getting to be more predictable. Outside of this, I am wondering if this is an inherent issue with hyzer flipping or if it is because the discs I'm using (roadrunners or leopards) are so US and that is causing the sensitivity issues. I am a bit more consistent when flipping my Rivers, but I get a lot less overall movement on these which limits my choices at times as I have a hard time getting that hard R>L late turn, for example.

Outside of this, I am wondering if this is an inherent issue with hyzer flipping or if it is because the discs I'm using (roadrunners or leopards) are so US and that is causing the sensitivity issues.

I won't answer Doof 'cause he loves to troll people, but that is an issue that comes with the territory. No different than deciding to throw your TL or Teebird flat/TB nose down/TL slight nose up and the like. You need to make the right decision mentally. How much hyzer, which disc, any torque?, nose up?, etc etc etc. It comes with time and won't just magically be perfect for anyone. Since I mentioned Doof why not:

So, what is it exactly that you think you are doing to the disc with "torque" that is making it flip?

To add or reduce turn, to add or reduce fade, to add or reduce height, and to be capable of changing molds. You can't hyzerflip a fresh TB/PD/OLF/EX without torque. I don't care if you can throw 600' - with a fresh one a hyzerflip simply will not happen. The only time you would do such a thing would be to hit a tight gap (hence the hyzerflip, it makes the disc more narrow) while INCLUDING fade.

Other times I want the disc to turn late and fade none. Other times I want an early turn and an early fade. Ask me a hypothetical scenario and I'll happily spell it out for you. Or someone who actually knows what they're talking about will.

Go back to creating stupid threads that I won't read.

Last edited:
I figure this thread is as good as any to post this one - but is anyone else in a love / hate relationship with hyzer flipping US discs? I've been flippin' my roadrunners for a few weeks now and I have to say that when done right it is amazing all of the different flight paths I can get from my super flippy roadrunners. From a dead straight lazer...flip up to a late turn...small flip with a bigger turn...and wow the extra distance I can get.

....but....

With that said it is so darn finicky.......(snip!)

Bingo. That's the joy and potential horror of the hyzer flip. When it works, it's a thing of beauty but if the wind changes direction or all of a sudden gusts during your throw, etc, etc, you can go from a birdie to bogie in seconds flat. lol..

With that said, now days I only hyzer flip intentionally on very open holes or when I have a slight head wind. Yep..on a slight head wind I throw an over stable driver and it hyzer flips right up and flies straight for a while and does it's s-curve thang. ;)