• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hyzer to straight to hyzer shot

Yeah, happens when you release with a little bit of hyzer but you put so much flick on it it turns over. I do that with my Pro Boss. You should try one of those, like a 170ish. The Pro Bosses are really easy to throw.

sounds like you have only "maxed out" your hyzer with that wraith. do you need a hyzer that flies farther than that? if so, you could try a faster disc. if not, you should be able to throw it on an anny line and get an extra 30-50 feet out of it. hyzers and hyzer flips are nice for tight fairways or for getting around obstacles, but real disctance comes with the anhyzer. maybe you already knew this, but it didn't sound that way from what you posted...

I disagree, a hyzer flip is superior to a flex. They both give you nice long s curves but with flex, the disc is already starting at the turning point. Hyzer flip: hyzer, flat, turn, fade. With flex you only get turn and fade. More parts of a full s curve=more distance.

I disagree, a hyzer flip is superior to a flex. They both give you nice long s curves but with flex, the disc is already starting at the turning point. Hyzer flip: hyzer, flat, turn, fade. With flex you only get turn and fade. More parts of a full s curve=more distance.

+1:clap:

i preach this to noobz i play with but its a hard lesson to pound in...:\

My very few longest throws in an open field have come from hyzer-flipping my Star Valkyrie from a deep hyzer release to just past flat, on a nice low line. I can't do it every time, but when I do it just exactly right, it gets out over 400', and my maximum distance with my Wraith is about the same as yours, bthoma1. Though you might find you can caress more distance out of your Wraith if you play with your release angle a little more. It never ceases to amaze me what subtle differences in pitch and roll can do to the flight of a disc.

it on a hyzer line..yes I am sure I have mazed it out. I might be able to get a little better form and maybe get 30-40 ft more out of it. But as far as hyzer I have maxed it out.

Get a new Wraith.

I do this with my old Elite X Buzzz. For longer drives I prefer a beat up Z Avenger or beat up Z XL.

And for the wooded courses near me I find myself using a good mix of flex shots and hyzer flips. You need it all.

ok so I have been "really" playing disc golf for the past year and a half and am getting better. I can throw my mids around 300' and max out around 385' with my wraith. I also just throw it hyzer long and striaght and curves at the end. I am getting a destroyer in a few days because like I said I feel I have maxed my wraith out.

SO..my question would be, have you all seen people throw it and it starts off hyzer than dead flat straightens out and then starts to hyzer again. How do you throw that shot? understable or overstable. how do you let it go hyzer straight or anny??
Or should i just stick to my regular hyzer shot or something?

That's a hyzer-flip shot. The hyzer you're talking about at the end -- the hyzer, then flat, then HYZER -- is just the disc slowing down and fading.

Shot is pulled off by throwing a disc hyzer and it flattens out instead of the disc being thrown flat and turning right (for you bhrh). Very easily done with a wraith and the more understable the disc is that you're trying to do it with, the easier the "hyzer then flat" flight you'll get.

Great technique for tunnel shots with really understable stuff like roadrunners or sidewinders.

...but yeah, the hyzer you're seeing at the end is just the disc slowing down and fading, like all do.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. :)

it on a hyzer line..yes I am sure I have mazed it out. I might be able to get a little better form and maybe get 30-40 ft more out of it. But as far as hyzer I have maxed it out.

lol. i'm not sure why you are asking for help than

lol. i'm not sure why you are asking for help than

I guess I really don't know. Just looking to understand new shots I guess. I don't really need them though cause I can just keep throwing my wraith hyzer and still just just as well.. either way thanks guys

I guess I really don't know. Just looking to understand new shots I guess. I don't really need them though cause I can just keep throwing my wraith hyzer and still just just as well.. either way thanks guys

I don't think the big guns would actually throw a Wraith for a pure hyzer shot because it will flip up too much and straighten out so if that's what's happening, then yes, I think you've maxed out the Wraith (as long as the disc is not beat) for hyzer shots and should move to something faster like a Destroyer or Boss. Otherwise, I think there's still some potential distance for the Wraith on the hyzer line. At the distance most people throw, a Wraith works great for hyzer shots as long as it's not beat-in and not Pro or DX. Even though a new Wraith would work for me on a hyzer line when thrown properly, I prefer the added security and longevity of a Destroyer, which i know for certain will not turn over on a hyzer line even when a little beat-in.

is there a video of this shot cause im having a hard time picturing what it looks like. im talking about how thw body moves mostly, but disc flight would be nice. if any body knows of one could you let me know? thanks.

thanks. that looks very hard. i can get a pretty nice s curve with a little annie on a disc, but this just looks crazy. is a xpress understable enough for this, do you think?

thanks. that looks very hard. i can get a pretty nice s curve with a little annie on a disc, but this just looks crazy. is a xpress understable enough for this, do you think?
It's easy if you pick a disc that you can throw with enough nose down and speed to get it to flip up naturally. Generally, slower, more beat and more understable discs are easier to flip than faster more overstable ones.

If you're throwing clean (no OAT) then the difference between a hyzer flip and a pure hyzer is disc selection. It's not really a technique, it's a flight path. There are several techniques you can use (and you should learn them all) to get that type of path.

It's easy if you pick a disc that you can throw with enough nose down and speed to get it to flip up naturally. Generally, slower, more beat and more understable discs are easier to flip than faster more overstable ones.

If you're throwing clean (no OAT) then the difference between a hyzer flip and a pure hyzer is disc selection. It's not really a technique, it's a flight path. There are several techniques you can use (and you should learn them all) to get that type of path.
what is OAT?

My slightly beat Star Valk does this well, though if I am not careful, then it stays right and doesn't come back. So a definate hyzer angle on it is required.