• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

I especially like it when you are out, doing course work, alone, on a Saturday, in August it was close to 100 or more, I'm in jeans because I was taking out some small trees, and cutting up stuff piled up off to the side, my pickup was parked way out of the way so that it would not interfere with anyone playing. A group comes up to the tee, watches me for a bit, then one guy approaches, thinking he was gonna ask what I was doing, or something like that.....no, he asks me to move my truck. Now, I'm parked about 20' off the fairway WAYYYY on the right, the fairway dogs a severe left for the hole. I ask "How can I be in the way over here?" He said that's just how he throws the hole. Well call me an A**hole, but I didn't move. Going back to the original post on the thread, I'm fortunate in that I do a LOT of work on my home course, and it seems every tourney I play at it, my name and effort gets mentioned by the TD for it, and I get at least one or 2 "Thank yous" after the tournament. Those that want to gripe about something that bothers them on a course, especially a home course, take even 15-20 minutes before you play your round to do SOMETHING about it, you'd be surprised what you can get done in even a few minutes. Bring a pair of clippers and put in your bag to clip back small branches during a practice round, etc... I'm part of THEY, and very proud of it.
And for David Sauls....at some point soon, I'm gonna try and get over to help on your course as well!

I have to admit I have not helped on the physical labor of any course other than picking up trash before my women's tournament.

I do spend countless hours planning and promoting women's disc golf so I feel that is my contribution. I think if I had time during the week I would help more but the weekend is just not physical labor time in my mind.

Honk honk!

I do suppose if I were in your shoes and had my own course I would be pretty hardcore about upkeep. :)

See ya next weekend at the Upstate?

Since most players seem to think THEY are a bunch of suckers I will attempt to do my best Tom Sawyer and get them to be like THEY and trick them errrrr convince them to do some work with some temptations they cannot ignore...ummmm ok here goes

THEY find more plastic than them as they are out working on fairways and debri removal and often prized plastic turns up when they remove thorns or aretrimming high grass or raking leaves

They develop specific skill sets that no hammer drill or beato video could hope for with the following: The stick flick-watch it sail as you develop your forehand snap, the smooth powerful backhand that only hours of raking can provide, Precision putting that only throwing beer cans into cans can achieve.

They learn the local lanes and understand the lines of a course especially the super secret ones as they are often the ones doing the trimming

So if you want prized plastic, to improve your game, and learn the strategy of your course....join THEY and you will see improvements in just a few workdays. :)

While having work days may keep tournament players from being able to help, most players don't play tournaments. For most, Disc Golf is a recreation activity. They come out to play once a week or so and if they're going to spend time cleaning and doing what no more than yard work, they might be choosing to do that at home.

One thing that just kills me is our club actually closes the course on clean-up days. We post signs a week or more in advance that the course will be closed for maintenance. The course is a very tight wooded course...and theres the chance people playing may not know we're working on a particular hole they're playing...and we might not see or hear them.

Anyway...they ignore the signs and get mad when they come across piles of brush and trash on the fairway or near the basket...even though we posted signs.

Honk honk!

I do suppose if I were in your shoes and had my own course I would be pretty hardcore about upkeep. :)

See ya next weekend at the Upstate?

The private course is a whole different issue, of course. Very few people would dare to complain about maintenance issues there.

But I am really thinking about the Columbia courses (and Crooked Creek too, I guess). The CDGC organizes Saturday workdays, mainly because there are league events every day but Monday. Others in the club do individual work there on weekdays---trimming, replacing basket chains, etc. I used to do a lot there before I had my own course. So I'm a club officer but not part of the "THEY" doing volunteer work on the public courses....but I'd never complain about work they didn't do.

I probably won't make to Upstate Classic, which is one of the events I play most frequently. But the Sauls clan will be well represented there, without me.

Okay, I really think that "they" plan workdays on Saturdays so that nobody can come out and help, then "they" can be all smug about it.
Seriously, with tourneys almost every Saturday, competitive players chances of attendance are low. With the younger crowd, many have jobs in retail and restaurants, meaning they work Saturdays. Family men many times have family duty on Saturdays.
So really, what makessaturdays the day of choice?!

They's do work ALL week long. They's pick up logs and sticks in the fairway as they play. They's stop erosion. They's skip 1 round per month to spend 2 hrs working on a course. Theys are smug and cold because no one comes out to help them. Theys are smug and cold because they get thrown and and yelled at WHILE they are working on the course. Theys are smug and cold because they know how much time they put in and still have to hear Them's complaining.

Thems make excuses. Thems feel guilty that they don't help, but instead of making time, get mad at They's for asking for help. Many Thems are selfish and don't care who does the work. Them's complain when something needs fixing but never offers to fix it.

If you can point it out, you can fix it. They's will give you the tools.

Since most players seem to think THEY are a bunch of suckers I will attempt to do my best Tom Sawyer and get them to be like THEY and trick them errrrr convince them to do some work with some temptations they cannot ignore...ummmm ok here goes

THEY find more plastic than them as they are out working on fairways and debri removal and often prized plastic turns up when they remove thorns or aretrimming high grass or raking leaves

They develop specific skill sets that no hammer drill or beato video could hope for with the following: The stick flick-watch it sail as you develop your forehand snap, the smooth powerful backhand that only hours of raking can provide, Precision putting that only throwing beer cans into cans can achieve.

They learn the local lanes and understand the lines of a course especially the super secret ones as they are often the ones doing the trimming

So if you want prized plastic, to improve your game, and learn the strategy of your course....join THEY and you will see improvements in just a few workdays. :)

Awesome, but stop exposing the "third wall"! You don't find much good plastic when you clear thorns with a brush hog...

Looking at pics of Nevin tee #1 where is this so called tree of strife?

I think this is it. I'll take a better picture to warn people of the "TREE of DEATH!"

You have to throw a forehand or late turning back hand 330' about 30' past the landing zone to hit it. summer picture is the drive from the tee and the tree is another 60-70' to the right of where you can see at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• 1 fairway.JPG
    1 fairway.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1 tee.jpg
    1 tee.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I think this is it. I'll take a better picture to warn people of the "TREE of DEATH!"

You have to throw a forehand or late turning back hand 330' about 30' past the landing zone to hit it. summer picture is the drive from the tee and the tree is another 60-70' to the right of where you can see at the end of the tunnel.

You know, the peril of trying to shame the non-workers into taking some initiative and doing a little work on their own outside of organized workdays is that they might just do it....and you might find your beech tree gone one day.

I'm not scared and I've learned that shaming people along with everything else doesn't work. People that do, do and people that don't, don't. Sometimes you can bribe them, but then, that isn't volunteer anymore.

I do a lot of course work... The only thing that ever aggravated me was when we were going to have a small tourney at our newest course. We had clean up scheduled for mon and tues for that week. I was the only person who showed up for both days. A third day, thursday, was added to the schedule. Quite a few people showed up, even the TD. One problem though, the TD didn't come to work, he came to play. :thmbdown:

I do a lot of course work... The only thing that ever aggravated me was when we were going to have a small tourney at our newest course. We had clean up scheduled for mon and tues for that week. I was the only person who showed up for both days. A third day, thursday, was added to the schedule. Quite a few people showed up, even the TD. One problem though, the TD didn't come to work, he came to play. :thmbdown:

Only .4 yrs playing. Good job getting involved so early. Don't let "Them" get you down. Keep up the good work!

I heard a little bit of the griping about it, but I've never noticed the tree in the 8 or 10 times I've played Nevin. I know I don't have the arm to get any where near the pin, though, so I've never even thought about trying to get there.

Latest posts