• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

Did some They work last night installing 33 of the 36 sleeves for a new course. Thanks MT-DiscGolfer, ThrowBot, AJ, Mark, Dylan, Shan, Seth, Paul, Matt, and espcially Chris(and his 25 drug court volunteers who cleaned the park up first) for being They as well!

they is mad itchy this week from helping to cut in fairways on a new local course. either my long-held immunity to poison ivy is wearing off, or I hacked through some oak/sumac and didn't notice. still worth it.

and a heartfelt thank you to all the theys out there, keep up the good fight. even the tactless d-bags that only complain are thankful deep down.

Cut down some limbs on a hole the line had just disappeared yesterday. Also cut down a bunch of little trees and cleaned out four spots of briars. Brought up a holly on one side.

Couple days ago I trimmed the field tees. Hit off the fairway stuff to make it easier to see discs/ snakes. Cleaned up a few circles.

I'm really trying to keep my course looking good, clean lines and clean up a lot of the putting circles. All the baskets have trees around them anyways. You shouldnt make a good shot and have some cluster of little tree things make you have to elevator putt etc etc when your 14 ft away.

One briar patch is also a hill. Cut a bit of small trees and briars. I'm going to rake it, weed wack, cut any stumps under ground and generally just make it slick. I gave the hole another option for deuce with more risk. Pond on left, small landing area and then a small elevation change and the basket. I figure bad putts , upshots and unlucky risk takers will roll down the opened hole and likely go into the water.

Want to make more risk/reward for the hole and make the putting green bit easier but have to take the hill into account more now the briars won't grap a bad putt.

Cut down some limbs on a hole the line had just disappeared yesterday. Also cut down a bunch of little trees and cleaned out four spots of briars. Brought up a holly on one side.

Couple days ago I trimmed the field tees. Hit off the fairway stuff to make it easier to see discs/ snakes. Cleaned up a few circles.

I'm really trying to keep my course looking good, clean lines and clean up a lot of the putting circles. All the baskets have trees around them anyways. You shouldnt make a good shot and have some cluster of little tree things make you have to elevator putt etc etc when your 14 ft away.

One briar patch is also a hill. Cut a bit of small trees and briars. I'm going to rake it, weed wack, cut any stumps under ground and generally just make it slick. I gave the hole another option for deuce with more risk. Pond on left, small landing area and then a small elevation change and the basket. I figure bad putts , upshots and unlucky risk takers will roll down the opened hole and likely go into the water.

Want to make more risk/reward for the hole and make the putting green bit easier but have to take the hill into account more now the briars won't grap a bad putt.

what course

I played Southeast Park in Columbia, SC today, a good course that I rarely make it to. THEY have done a ton of work, greatly extending a number of holes and otherwise maintaining the place. There is, apparently, one THEY in particular, if I can say that, though yesterday the club rented a chipper and, word has it, a crew cleaned up debris all day. It looks terrific.

I'm not THEY because, well, I'm THEY somewhere else an awful lot, but I salute THEY for a job well done.

Anyway, my arm and my sense of good grammar, and in particular the proper use of pronouns, is pretty much shot at this point, on account of THEY.

Did some They work last night installing 33 of the 36 sleeves for a new course. Thanks MT-DiscGolfer, ThrowBot, AJ, Mark, Dylan, Shan, Seth, Paul, Matt, and espcially Chris(and his 25 drug court volunteers who cleaned the park up first) for being They as well!

curious the details on this one ^

could not help but notice all the brushpiles they missed at our recent tourney, trees leaning precariously for over a year still there cuz they never got to it, not to mention the fine grading around the tee boxes for follow thru and general inside the circle trimming that somehow escaped their attention and had me distracted all wknd... /local tourney curse

Last edited:
what course

Schumaker pond. I'm the course pro. Also do work on horsebridge woods 9.

The Schu is a smaller course that doesn't get much appreciation from course reviews. But I love the place since I started playing. I started helping and one thing lead to another. Club member of the year 2014 and now course pro.

The only thing I hate is when I'm playing a casual round and somebody busts my balls about not picking up a stick when I'm playing. Well I'm sorry but I make time to go out to the course and NOT play so when I'm actually playing that's all I want to focus on. Dweebs . I know they are only making fun of me but that's pretty much the only had thing That sorta gets under my skin . Not even that bad when by buddy Brandon always introduces me sarcastically as the course superintendent to all his newbies. Oh well atleast he shoes up to work days and help move baskets for our annual tourny.

curious the details on this one ^

Its going to be a work in progress due to the poor condition the land was in. My goal will be a 3 Star rated course but likely will fall around the 2 range until we can finish all of the improvements.

It will be an 18 hole layout with two 9 hole loops starting and ending near the main parking lot. We'll have 2 pin locations for each hole. The biggest drawback is the lack of trees. There is 1, lol, and it is small but and it is in play for one of the 2 pin locations on hole 11. Without irrigation at this time we're limited to what will grow out there. There is a natural "spring/swamp" that hole 16 plays directly over which is nice and does offer the opportunity for some tree planting in that area.

We did our best to use elevation change and the small ridges to our advantage but unfortuantely there are a handfull of holes that just get you from "here to there". Also, the new fencing created a bit of unexpected OB so there is that to contend with. Tee boxes will be "natural"(read dirt and sandstone) for the first year and after next summer we'll re-evaluate their locations and cement them in. Going to pretty roughed in the first year until we finalize a kiosk with a map, tee signs, tee boxes ect. Initially, we're going to get tee signes in but they will be limited to "hole 1, pin a/b" just basic. Distances will be added after tee boxes are finilazed next year.

One thing to be said, the City of Billings kicked in some serious cash to make the parking lots nice and purchase Discatchers so we're off to a great start. Come this time next year, it should be a more than serviceable course.

They were busy in Chatham NY this weekend.............. Thanks Mel for the kiosk!!

11923212_1016272298397626_3315148160421337586_n.jpg

Its going to be a work in progress due to the poor condition the land was in. My goal will be a 3 Star rated course but likely will fall around the 2 range until we can finish all of the improvements.

It will be an 18 hole layout with two 9 hole loops starting and ending near the main parking lot. We'll have 2 pin locations for each hole. The biggest drawback is the lack of trees. There is 1, lol, and it is small but and it is in play for one of the 2 pin locations on hole 11. Without irrigation at this time we're limited to what will grow out there. There is a natural "spring/swamp" that hole 16 plays directly over which is nice and does offer the opportunity for some tree planting in that area.

We did our best to use elevation change and the small ridges to our advantage but unfortuantely there are a handfull of holes that just get you from "here to there". Also, the new fencing created a bit of unexpected OB so there is that to contend with. Tee boxes will be "natural"(read dirt and sandstone) for the first year and after next summer we'll re-evaluate their locations and cement them in. Going to pretty roughed in the first year until we finalize a kiosk with a map, tee signs, tee boxes ect. Initially, we're going to get tee signes in but they will be limited to "hole 1, pin a/b" just basic. Distances will be added after tee boxes are finilazed next year.

One thing to be said, the City of Billings kicked in some serious cash to make the parking lots nice and purchase Discatchers so we're off to a great start. Come this time next year, it should be a more than serviceable course.

Maybe build a elevated basket for one of the boring holes.

You said something about sandstone. Take another hole and build a thirty foot circular wall out of stone around the basket with a few gaps to walk threw. You could make it a bit bigger/ leave it that size if it's a short hole and make it a island. Put a drop zone 40-50ft away from basket on a straight line threw one of the gaps.

Another hole you could take dirt and make mounds on both sides of the teepad. Maybe like 30-50 ft long and 8-10 ft high. Grass seed and some tree saplings or bushes on top. It'll be like being in a valley. Players will have to throw a straight shot. So put the basket somewhere where they will have to throw a skip shot or roller for Duece and a straight shot for par and turn over shot for jump putt chance etc.

I have been working on ideas for awhile to spice up horsebridge golf course lol idk.

Hey MattC.

The guy who posted about helping with a course in Port A.,W. I have no idea why I picked up on this forum but saw you were helping with a course near an old old stomping ground of mine.

I know this is random but I used to live around Port townsend and made the drive to Port A(about forty five mins) to get supplies their.

Boy do I miss the Olympic mtns. And yes the weather their. You laugh but its about ninety and super humid were I am at now.

Beautiful country up their. It will always have a special place in my heart.

Glad to hear their are more courses in the area now!

I can't wait to write a scathing review :)

We can definitely put in an island and/or mark off more artificial OB. I didn't see the final layout, do we play near those big electrical poles? Those would make good mandos if they're near a fairway.

I can't wait to write a scathing review :)

We can definitely put in an island and/or mark off more artificial OB. I didn't see the final layout, do we play near those big electrical poles? Those would make good mandos if they're near a fairway.

Both pins for hole two are on an "island" that would be easy to mark by the surrounding roads and I moved one of hole 4's pins so it's right in line with a gap from one pair of the towers for just that reason :thmbup:

I have been they, and leading a project to renovate the oldest course in Manhattan KS, Tuttle Creek State Park River Pond disc golf course. I moved to US 7 years ago from Japan for job, and have been playing and enjoying the sport for 5 years, so I wanted to do something good for the course I love. Discussed and negotiated with the park manager. Raised funds for 18 new baskets and tee signs. Drew fairway maps based on which our designer could draw the signs, and so on. Now we have been trying to install all of ground sleeves to finish up the project. I understand most people (even they like the course, are excited about the renovation, and play way more often than myself) would play rather than work, but there are still some "they" who are willing to help and work in this town, which keep me motivated, and I'm proud to be part of it and, to me, this has been great lesson for future.

Thanks for sharing your "their" experience and thought in this thread!!

So today was... Mostly bad. My sons and I went out to Schumaker pond today to work on clearing lines and putting circles. We got about two patches of briars cut and raked out. Bunch of smaller limbs.

So it was our last bit of work to finish for the day. Hole 14 lines and around red basket. I cleaned branches and just made it slot cleaner. Also raised up a holly tree branches a bunch that's 80 ft away from basket. Makes the hole a lot easier and cleaner. So I decided because I made it easier To make the shot I would also clean up around the basket and make possible to go long. So I start cutting a holly that's in back of the basket. I cut all the branches and start dragging them back into the woods.

All of a sudden my 4 year old starts screaming bloody murder. "daaaaaaadddddy it hurts it hurts help me". We had gotten into a swarm of yellow jackets from HELL. Without any thought I grap him by the throat and run towards my not quite one year old. His running stroller is locked. I drag him and the cart, switch my grip on my eldest son into a headlock and run like a crazy person. I had to strip my oldest naked and stomp in his cloths. He got about 50 stings. I have five. My youngest got none. Prolly because I dragged him upside down without realizing it getting away from the bees.

So sucky day. But makes me convinced no basket will have a a circle less then 30 ft for safety. If your off the fairway you already know to look for snakes, bees, poison, etc. thirty ft from the basket? Shouldn't be possible.

^^There's nothing like the helpless feeling of seeing your kid in pain. Hope your eldest heals up quickly with no ill effects, but at least you got your infant son out before he got stung too. Dad to the rescue! :clap:

I hear your point about hazards are to be expected in the rough , but should be clear of the circle... but there's something about trees guarding a basket I like, and you can't completely control what a given tree or group of trees might attract. To a certain extent, I think we have to accept that our game is played in a setting over which we only have limited control.

Last edited:
^^There's nothing like the helpless feeling of seeing your kid in pain. Hope your eldest heals up quickly with no ill effects, but at least you got your infant son out before he got stung too. Dad to the rescue! :clap:

I hear your point about hazards are to be expected in the rough , but should be clear of the circle... but there's something about trees guarding a basket I like, and you can't completely control what a given tree or group of trees might attract. To a certain extent, I think we have to accept that our game is played in a setting over which we only have limited control.

True. Best I can do is report to parks and rec and have them come out hopefully tomorrow and post on facebook to "beeware". I've been to Schumaker thousands of times without harm. It really was a shock. I've lived in the woods my entire life. Snakes, poison ivy, few stings and bites, ticks. I've never been in the middle of a yellow jacket nest before and I pray never to be again.

Thanks for the kind words, he is ok. Spoonful of benadryl, some salve, bunch of chocolate cookies and thank god for a non allergic reaction.

Latest posts