• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am trying to learn to throw a roller and I have a question.....

Disc Dog

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I started to learn a roller today and I have a question.

Since they are very effected by the wind, roots, rocks, and rough terrain.

When is it appropriate to throw one?

Big open fields or ridiculously wooded holes where flight is not possible are the only two scenarios I've ever seen useful for them.

interesting question
some say discs arent meant to roll...
some roll shots to get the extra distance/ birdie shot

rollers have their place, but they are risky, you "could" get more distance, but you will sacrifice your landing zone accuracy (excluding fences that stop discs)

i used to like throwing rollers, had some unbelievable parked holes at distances i couldn't reach, but percentage wise they go bad more so than they go good

rollers on smooth ground, no sticks, well cut grass ARE predictable.. but not near as consistent as thrown discs

if your playin partners i'd recommend you wait n see if your better half has a playable shot b4 throwing rollers, BUT i know folks who play rollers for their "safe" shot too...

great answer isn't it...

Yea i really only ever throw rollers if there is a low cealing type lie where it would be hard to fly the disc all the way to the whole. also, like previous post on open feild shots with low grass for extra distance.

I use tem on wide open holes with flat grass and little to no wind. I worked on rollers for a while and I kinda had them down. You gotta hit them just right or they go nowhere. I do them sidearm with a monarch or a sidewinder.

i have thrown a couple rollers forehand and also with a thumber not intentional and they both were pretty nice, other than that i would rather stick to forehand or backhand.

I don't mess with them yet myself, I see the advantage of them, but I don't know if I like them...I can think of 3 holes at Ellison I'd like them for (well more until I get my arm speed up) Only one it *might* be worth it at Naples...one or two at basil...2-5 at Baker...hole 11 it would be FANTASTIC for...Maybe I *do* need to learn a roller, just for that F*** of a hole...911 feet...sheesh...

\/\/

I've had some good ones, but a lot more bad. I only use them if there is no other shot and I mean, I dont have a choice AT ALL.

Couple weeks ago my fiance was laughing her ass off at me cause I nailed one right where I wanted and it started rolling toward the basket. Right after I said "YES!!!" it hopped and turned a big circle all the way into a parking lot and I kid you not, I sat there wathing it for at least 2 minutes roll all the way around back my direction and hit a parking stop, hopping over it and to a final stop about 15' behind me to the right.

I hate rollers.

id only throw them when playing doubles after your partner already gets you in the fairway.

even the best rolling dgers ive played with still only end up where they want 60% at best, and that other 40% are some guaranteed bogeys

I've had some good ones, but a lot more bad. I only use them if there is no other shot and I mean, I dont have a choice AT ALL.

Couple weeks ago my fiance was laughing her ass off at me cause I nailed one right where I wanted and it started rolling toward the basket. Right after I said "YES!!!" it hopped and turned a big circle all the way into a parking lot and I kid you not, I sat there wathing it for at least 2 minutes roll all the way around back my direction and hit a parking stop, hopping over it and to a final stop about 15' behind me to the right.

I hate rollers.
i cant remember how many times ive seen people "throw" one right where they want , then start praying itll hit the pole

long holes that finish to the right (presuming you're righthanded). seneca creek state park. any hole that has pretty smooth ground, short grass, and is too long for your air shot. it is also much easier to make distance uphill with the roller.

If you are throwing a roller for distance you need to "set it down" far away from you. I see many people trying to throw them for distance that set them down 150' away or less. It will not work. I try to for 275' before the roll. Even if I do not set it down correctly, I still have a decent distance to work with. I am talking about fairly wide open drives.

I'll normally only throw them when a conventional shot is riskier than the roller.

Here's a perfect example, hole 11 at Beaver Island St. Park.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/13/8234a676.jpg
Hitting any of those trees means par is no longer a gimme, but rolling out into the field, even if you're not too accurate, sets up a routine approach and putt at worst, a birdie at best.

I'll normally only throw them when a conventional shot is riskier than the roller.

Here's a perfect example, hole 11 at Beaver Island St. Park.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/13/8234a676.jpg
Hitting any of those trees means par is no longer a gimme, but rolling out into the field, even if you're not too accurate, sets up a routine approach and putt at worst, a birdie at best.

I still think I could get my R-Pro Bossthrough the hole just to the right of the tree that is almost dead center on the path to the basket. Could even look at an ace, but that woul dbe risking it with the trees. A safer shot than a roller looks like (cant see the canopy) a thumber. Might bounce it in or park.

I still think I could get my R-Pro Bossthrough the hole just to the right of the tree that is almost dead center on the path to the basket. Could even look at an ace, but that woul dbe risking it with the trees. A safer shot than a roller looks like (cant see the canopy) a thumber. Might bounce it in or park.

If you were to tee off each shot 10 times, roller, big hyzer, low hyzer-flip, thumber, I'd bet the roller would have the best score.

Yeah, pictures can be deceiving. I just have a habit of everytime I think I need to do a thumber, I explore every other possibility first, then if I cant think of anything, well TBH, I usually throw some other way into a tree and go nowhere; then I finally give in.

If you are throwing a roller for distance you need to "set it down" far away from you. I see many people trying to throw them for distance that set them down 150' away or less. It will not work. I try to for 275' before the roll. Even if I do not set it down correctly, I still have a decent distance to work with. I am talking about fairly wide open drives.

that's if you're rolling understable discs (like i know you are)- all the longest rollers i have ever thrown were with something overstable like a banshee and basically slamming that biotch right down on the ground (50-80 feet out) by dropping your shoulder on the hit. an overstable disc with enough rpm's will hold a line forever and not turn out of it like a flippy disc.

that's if you're rolling understable discs (like i know you are)- all the longest rollers i have ever thrown were with something overstable like a banshee and basically slamming that biotch right down on the ground (50-80 feet out) by dropping your shoulder on the hit. an overstable disc with enough rpm's will hold a line forever and not turn out of it like a flippy disc.

...and you got it to roll another 320 feet!!! That would be something to see. :D

I started to learn a roller today and I have a question.

Since they are very effected by the wind, roots, rocks, and rough terrain.

When is it appropriate to throw one?

Long open holes and holes with tunnel shots.

Latest posts