• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I feel like I'm missing something in my bag

If your looking for something like a Comet but shallower, might try the Gateway Element. Would probably go with the Platinum, has a bit more dome than the Diamond and has that nice broke in feel out of the box.

-Wizards, two for putting and approach, one premium for upshots and drives. These will stay.
-Ron Russell Comet, and two backups in the garage. Finesse and control.
-Tensor for wind and slight overstable midrange duties.
-Prophecy *
-Element *
-Zone. A Jawbreaker and an ESP. Used for zone things. These will stay.
-MVP Volt. One in the bag, one backup. This is my go-to fairway driver. Between this and my PD, they take care of most shots under 400'.
-Heat. X Heat and Big Z Heat. I love these for all sorts of turnover and touch shots. I've been trying to beat in the X Heat to be really flippy to kind of cycle them.
-PD. S and C. Beat in S and (getting beat in) C. The S is starting to turn over and when thrown flat gives me a nice slow turn and predictable fade. I need to get another S
-Old Plastic EliteZ Flick. Used for flick things. Hard fades, forehand cut rollers, general utility.
-Star Wraith. Beat up and ready for either a replacement or a new one to start taking some abuse. My most consistent S curve distance disc. Throw it on a hyzer for a long sweeping S. New ish G Star, flippier than I wanted. I have a champ and a new S in the mail. **
-Force. One really beat up ESP, another nearly new Z Force. Distance and overstability.
-Diamond Gateway Journey This thing is money. I tried it out as a free disc at PIAS, i went back for another. It's the straightest disc that still goes the same length as my wraiths.

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I need some more ideas. Mostly with midranges. First, updates on the bag:
-Love the Heat. It's become a staple and something I reach for on technical courses. I am trying to cycle X Heats.
-Bought 2 new Wraiths after the G Star was a bit of a failure. I like the G Star for what it is, but I need some more stability. The G Star was semi-flippy brand new. Star Wraith and Champ Wraith on the way. Start cycling the Star and leave the Champ for wind.
-I have two Gateway Spirits on the way as well. I'm looking to replace the Flick and the Force with one mold. It may happen, it may not. The flick is difficult to get, and I really don't like the feel of the force in my hand. Even though I have big hands, I don't like large rims. I want the Wraith to handle my distance duties. The Flick takes care of my overstable duties while the force is really only used in headwinds.
-I can't say enough about the Gateway Journey, if you haven't tried one, do it. Huge amounts of glide with minor turn and fade.

It might look like I am pushing for an all Gateway bag but it's just coincidence. I've been trying cheaper discs on gdstour, and I've always liked their stuff. Now let's talk midranges:

*I got the prophecy and element because it was cheap on gdstour, and I wanted to try something new. They are OK. Both are good discs, just not exactly what I want. It's honestly probably the premium plastic. I'd much rather throw my comet than my element. The element I have to lay into to get it to turn like I want. If I don't really get on it, it will just fade out. The prophecy just seems like a new KC Pro Roc, except Diamond plastic is super durable and will take for EVER to beat in to where I want it.

I'm thinking about throwing Rocs back in the bag. I would go back to X Buzzzs but I want that wind stability. I have 4 Rancho rocs in the garage. 1 KC Pro lightly seasoned, 1 Flat top DGR Roc, and two standard Ranchos. Any other thoughts before I toss them back in?

To clarify. I feel like there are a lot of midranges out there that people love, that just don't do it for me. The last couple mid ranges all feel like they throw the exact same.

MVP Axis
Gateway Prophecy
KC Roc
Z Buzzz (especially bar stamp)

I really like high glide discs with good turn so I can work them at slower speeds. The problem is that those discs usually can't hold up to the wind unless you take something like a Roc and beat the crap out of it. This is generally why I prefer mid ranges in non-premium plastic.

Latest posts