• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I feel the heavy disc; thank you everyone.

YoYoNinjaBoy

ohboyohboyohboy. I have to share with someone.
So that is what the throw is supposed to feel like. It's distinctly different. Feels weightless until suddenly I'm smashing a literal (metaphorical) hammer.

Shout outs to ace it disc golf for a more approachable backhand instruction; SW22 for the drills; hyzerunibomber for connecting hammer drill to the feel of the heavy disc without I'm not sure if I would have recognized; Jaani for the feel of the brace; and everyone else sharing words of wisdom and facilitating discussion.

It really feels like I have a clear path to progression now. The grind was worth it. It took about a year of near daily experimentation to retrain my body to not pull. I probably could have gotten here faster if I wasn't so **** stubborn and ruined every session by going ok now lets try to throw far.

Why I think it was so difficult:
I wanted to be in control. It's my body. I control it. I control it to throw the frisbee far. This is not the way. I had to train my body and then let jesus take the wheel.

I had many competing ideas about aspects of the throw. For example I bounced back and forth between the idea of "there's a trick to this and it's a big one" and "there's no big trick just a ton of little tiny tricks to gain incremental distance" Turns out they're both right. The little tricks given enough time and attention turn into the big trick. What does the arm do? Nothing? A little? A lot? Box unbox; noodle arm; Depending on your perspective it's all of them. Things like this made learning feel like a black box I was on the outside of and nothing makes sense until you feel it and suddenly everything does. I think that feeling was accurate.

Instant gratification: Increase in effort always resulted in a relatively linear increase in force. This encouraged me to be strong and throw hard and early This is how I threw on the course. I worked my way up to what felt like my absolute ceiling of 350' by sprinting up and smashing understable high speed drivers as a 5'7 165 skinnyfat but mildly athletic 28 year old. It was surprisingly accurate but completely unsustainable long term and completely detrimental to the rebuild I was trying to facilitate long term.

My big mind****s:
Gripping the disc creates tension and tension started the pull. I had to train myself to never grip the disc to not fire early. I DON'T GRIP THE DISC MY BODY DOES as a reaction. Pointer finger over thumb grip kind of bypasses this but is far too weak for a good rip in my experience.

Do as little as possible. Now do less. Pendulums are not propelled by mechanical force they are propelled by gravity and inertia.

If you're trying to get in a position you're not in position.
Related:Swing thoughts can only train the swing thought not the swing. Swing thought is practice and the swing is performance. Relating this to music and playing guitar, if you're in a performance and suddenly you think about what your hands are doing you done ****ed up bucko you're probably going to make a mistake. I play rocket league at a high level do you ever think about what your hands are doing playing video games? If you do you're probably not very good at them.

Thank you all so very much.
Learning disc golf is a trip and staying loose is therapy.

Stay classy San Diego.

Last edited:
adding to the why I think it was difficult for me:
No single explanation of an aspect of the throw gave enough clarity in instruction. It was only through the culmination and similarities of ways to express the thing that I found clarity in how to internalize and implement it. This took a long time.

I feel like I occasionally peek over the countertop at the plate of cookies. More playing, more feels, more throws, more things click. Not all, but more. 'The feel' comes and goes for me. I can't wait for the day it sticks like riding a bicycle!

It do be that way.

yoda-star-wars.gif[

I love the " literal metaphorical."
Well played.

Now that you have found it, don't **** up and try to throw further the next time. It will only lose you the feeling and you end up where you started. Trust me, I'm an expert in strong arming away progress in form.

Gripping the disc creates tension and tension started the pull. I had to train myself to never grip the disc to not fire early. I DON'T GRIP THE DISC MY BODY DOES as a reaction.

This is very interesting to me because generally when I have an early release I remind myself to grip the disc harder next throw. So would you say that early release are just that, an early release, not a grip issue?

This is very interesting to me because generally when I have an early release I remind myself to grip the disc harder next throw. So would you say that early release are just that, an early release, not a grip issue?

I could be wrong, but I think what he is saying is pretty much in the orbit of standard grip advice.

The grip has to be dynamic, and allowing it to be dynamic facilitates a significant natural reaction that occurs at the right time.

Early release and grip lock, in my experience, are better explained with something that went wrong far earlier in the swing.

I found that I get early release when I try to out race the pendulum, even by a tiny amount, and screw up the swing sequence.

TLDR what's the one simple trick? Play more rocket league?

Maybe. Rocket League is actually my second 'hobby' lol.

giphy.gif

Parabolic flight? Check.

Late acceleration in harmony with gravity? Check.

Adequate nose angle and trajectory control? Check.

Second player strikes mid-flight to alter trajectory and accelerate? Check. Wait, what?

Object and bystanders explode on impact? I don't... wait...

:D

As long as we're switching topics to gaming, it does really kind of feel like this to me:
4C5E.gif

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Parabolic flight? Check.

Late acceleration in harmony with gravity? Check.

Adequate nose angle and trajectory control? Check.

Second player strikes mid-flight to alter trajectory and accelerate? Check. Wait, what?

Object and bystanders explode on impact? I don't... wait...

:D

As long as we're switching topics to gaming, it does really kind of feel like this to me:
4C5E.gif

Lol if you haven't played it, its impossible to understand video of the game. I would compare actually learning how to play this game well to learning something like a musical instrument. It feels extremely physical and is the only game I think really, truly qualifies as a digital sport.

That's my nerdy take at least.

So when i was training this at first I had to exaggerate and basically no grip the disc and I eventually I could feel myself try to hold on a little but it was too late. I threw nothing but slips/early releases. I think right now I've found a good middleground of starting grip. It took a while but the body learned when it's time to clamp a bit better. This might change for me now but what caused early releases in the past was what felt like a lack of commitment to the shot/scared of yoinking it.

I'm not quite sure what to do for shorter shots just yet as my power control before was mostly arm for standstill/short step. Do people still arm with hazardous footing?

TLDR what's the one simple trick? Play more rocket league?

The one simple trick for me I kinda knew all along. I was throwing too hard. I started throwing less hard and that was good but I was still throwing too hard. I started throwing even less hard and that was better but I was still throwing too hard. Repeat.

Lol if you haven't played it, its impossible to understand video of the game. I would compare actually learning how to play this game well to learning something like a musical instrument. It feels extremely physical and is the only game I think really, truly qualifies as a digital sport.

That's my nerdy take at least.

The physics engine looks sick and based on your description it doesn't surprise me that it is not-entirely-jokingly related to the DG power engine.

It looks like a kitbash of FIFA, Kerbal Space Program, podracing, and Twisted Metal. I'd probably like it and grumble about "kids these days" eating my lunch while playing it.

So when i was training this at first I had to exaggerate and basically no grip the disc and I eventually I could feel myself try to hold on a little but it was too late. I threw nothing but slips/early releases. I think right now I've found a good middleground of starting grip. It took a while but the body learned when it's time to clamp a bit better. This might change for me now but what caused early releases in the past was what felt like a lack of commitment to the shot/scared of yoinking it.

I'm not quite sure what to do for shorter shots just yet as my power control before was mostly arm for standstill/short step. Do people still arm with hazardous footing?

I've struggled with this too especially as easy power increases and it gets easier to blow by stuff unintentionally

1. Downtempo form (e.g. Tattar)
2. Downscale form (e.g. Lizotte)
3. Remove parts of form/modify emphasis on parts of chain & posture. Lots of options to discuss there
4. Some mix of 1-3
5. Let the discs do the work.