• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I must have a whole in my bag somewhere.

lilbuzjr

Par Member
I'm getting ready to start chuckin this spring and want to make sure I'm ready for the season (not much of a winter player in Minnesota).
My bag consists of...

1 Star Boss 168 (New)
1 Star Wraith 172 (New)
1 Ce Monarch ???
1 Ching Power Genesis (New)
2 Champ Sidewinder 171 (New), 150
1 DX Sidewinder 166
1 Star Firebird 168?
1 DX Gazelle 171
1 DX Roc 168 (New)
1 CE Rhyno ???

I live just west of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, most courses out here are long and open, but I also tend to play a mixed variety of courses if i go toward the city. My long game has been my strong suit since i started playing. I'm 16, 6', 165lbs and i have an arm. I tend to put it where I want it on the drive (on my typical long and open courses) so my short game is limited. That is the reason for all the distance drivers. I want to get better at manipulative short game and believe I don't have to bag for that. What discs do any of you suggest to fill in a gap on the slower half? Any suggestion about the fast half will be appreciated also.

What ^ he said.

How about comet for understable and honet or wasp for overstable.

Mids. you only have a roc

Yep, and if you like your Roc you should just get a few more. Since you have the arm, you would probably find some max weight Rocs a nice addition to the bag. As they beat it you will have a very nice disc selection for your mid range throws.

Also, you may want to look into another putter that is a little less stable than the Rhyno for your normal putting duties. Some people dig the Rhyno, but it is pretty overstable and will have some limitations. A Wizard is a popular choice these days.

I havn't used the roc much. I used to throw a buz but i stopped throwing Discraft because i dont like the feel of their plastics. I have only use the Roc and a Stingray both of which were beat in terribly, so i now have a new one to see how that flies. Any innova disc suggestions? As far as the putter goes, Rhyno is my go to up to about 35 feet. As long as the shot is straight, i usually get it in. (I have tried the birdie, polecat, and aero, and havn't gotten any success from those, nor did i think i would when they were given to me.)

I used to throw a buz but i stopped throwing Discraft because i dont like the feel of their plastics.

What plastics were you throwing?

As far as Innova Mids to throw, it seems like the Stingray/Roc combo has all your shots covered. If you're only throwing Rocs 175', then I don't think you need to worry about getting a more overstable mid yet. Stick with a few Rocs in a few diff. plastics, pick up a stingray for anny lines, and your golden.

Also, we NEED to play sometime. Soon. Hit me up this week ASAP. I live in New Brighton. I have tons of stuff you can try out, and we can talk disc, etc.

Yep, and if you like your Roc you should just get a few more. Since you have the arm, you would probably find some max weight Rocs a nice addition to the bag. As they beat it you will have a very nice disc selection for your mid range throws.

Also, you may want to look into another putter that is a little less stable than the Rhyno for your normal putting duties. Some people dig the Rhyno, but it is pretty overstable and will have some limitations. A Wizard is a popular choice these days.

or a pure :)

First, what do you mean by "have an arm". How far are you throwing? Just seems that if you have a big arm you should be able to do more with the faster drivers, wraith, boss, etc and might not have as much need for the slower ones, sidewinder and monarch (i know its not slower, but it can easily overlap with other discs).

I also agree with the above, if you are trying to work on your short game getting a mid that you are comfortable with is key. If you are looking for Innova, try a Cro. The are great discs, very neutral so you can throw just about any shot with them, hyzer, annys, and nice straight shots as well. The most widely available is star and dx, but if you can find a champ cfr they are money.

1 Ching Power Genesis
1 Champ Sidewinder 171
1 Star Firebird 168?
1 DX Gazelle 171
1 DX Roc 168 (New)
1 CE Rhyno ???

This is what I think it should look like.
The big arm you have needs to go away. You are throwing with your arm if your having trouble with your short game. The faster drivers are encouraging you to throw incorrectly.

I suggest adding an Eagle, Cro, and a putter for approaches. You pick the putter since I cant stand Innova putters.

Biggest hole from what i see you have no true controlled distance drivers. you'd probably like a teebird, eagle, XL. but really, the best thing you could do for your game is go with someting more understable cause it will force you to correct the flaw in your form from throwing the speed 13 drivers. i'd suggest valkyrie, XS, beast, viking.
your gonna wanna really work your fairway and mids, most of the twin cities course are alot of controlled driving for good scores. try out some other mids and fairways. id would suggest something more on the finesse side such as a buzzz, leopard, fuse, Xpress, mako.
Rhynos are not good putters unless its that F-ing windy out. you should get yourself a true putter. aviars, magnet, challenger, omega, pure, wizard, magic, etc etc.
if you really want to help your controlled distance game put those speed 13s away and focus throwing straight and smooth. dont worry about the distance it will come with good form.

Last edited:
wait, WTF is a ce monarch?

Champion Edition (some stamps say Champion Edition on them even though their regular everyday Champ plastic...not to be confused with the CE plastic)

Biggest hole from what i see you have no true controlled distance drivers. you'd probably like a teebird, eagle, XL. but really, the best thing you could do for your game is go with someting more understable cause it will force you to correct the flaw in your form from throwing the speed 13 drivers. i'd suggest valkyrie, XS, beast, viking.
your gonna wanna really work your fairway and mids, most of the twin cities course are alot of controlled driving for good scores. try out some other mids and fairways. id would suggest something more on the finesse side such as a buzzz, leopard, fuse, Xpress, mako.
Rhynos are not good putters unless its that F-ing windy out. you should get yourself a true putter. aviars, magnet, challenger, omega, pure, wizard, magic, etc etc.
if you really want to help your controlled distance game put those speed 13s away and focus throwing straight and smooth. dont worry about the distance it will come with good form.

sorry, i forgot to make clear that I havn't played with the boss yet. I know i can get something out of it, but as far as its full potential goes, i wont have that for a while. I plan on pulling it out every once in a while just to try it out.
Also its not so much that my short game suffers because of my long game, but i just have yet to focus on my short game.

First, what do you mean by "have an arm". How far are you throwing? Just seems that if you have a big arm you should be able to do more with the faster drivers, wraith, boss, etc and might not have as much need for the slower ones, sidewinder and monarch (i know its not slower, but it can easily overlap with other discs).

I also agree with the above, if you are trying to work on your short game getting a mid that you are comfortable with is key. If you are looking for Innova, try a Cro. The are great discs, very neutral so you can throw just about any shot with them, hyzer, annys, and nice straight shots as well. The most widely available is star and dx, but if you can find a champ cfr they are money.

I typically throw my sidewinders 300+ and the wraith goes over 400 on a nice throw which i have been working on more and more.

I know you are not a Discraft fan, but please check out a Magnet putter and a Buzz Midrange. They Rhyno is overstable, and if you are having trouble putting, a straight putter like a Magnet or an Aviar will help your short game. The Pro D Magnet will fly dead straight off the tee, and the Soft Magnet has alot of glide. Keep the Rhyno for putting in a headwind.

sorry, i forgot to make clear that I havn't played with the boss yet. I know i can get something out of it, but as far as its full potential goes, i wont have that for a while. I plan on pulling it out every once in a while just to try it out.
Also its not so much that my short game suffers because of my long game, but i just have yet to focus on my short game.

still, a true control driver will greatly help your short/controlled game. "short" game is all about touch and finesse. slower speed discs will help you develop those skills faster and more proficiently. there is a reason why 99% of DGrs have a "teebird" disc in their bag (by this i mean a similar speed disc that is predictable and straight). You have none. the closet thing is the sidewinder but it will never cut it.
If you want to develop your short game then youll want to focus on these discs:
Insert Chosen Control Driver
1 Star Firebird 168?
1 DX Gazelle 171
1 DX Roc 168 (New)
1 CE Rhyno ???

you should try and meet up with one of the disc horders on here in the twin cities. im sure theyll let you try a bunch of discs, maybe make you a sweet deal. i love throwing other peoples bags and them throwing mine. you notice things you may not have before.

The jk or kc Aviars are just butter, can't stand the rhyno. I don't always throw controllable fairway drivers, but when I do, I prefer the millenium ols.

Latest posts