• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i need a 1 color die, cheapest guy gets it

tylersheehy

Eagle Member
i need this dyed on a white star disc. either a star TL or a Vulcan. please send me your offer to me through a PM and if your cheap enough i will choose you, just for reference im not looking to spend more than $10. its simple and 1 color....cant be that much.

havaball_golf.jpg

Vulcans are a bitch to dye with their trapezoidal shaped flight plates. Almost as bad as rhynos. I'd do it for $10, plus $20 for the disc, and another $5 for S&H.

havaball_golf.jpg

Shouldn't the dimples on this dye be facing the other way? That disc looks like it has pimples!

honestly, I find this to be insulting, when I do a disc there are a bunch of things that go into a good dye. This dye would take awhile to get a good clean, well sized image to work off of, then the cut would take an hour or so. Add in the time to actually dye it, which can be anywhere from a 10 minute dip, to 30 minutes if I'm not doing other dyes, to heat up the dye. Add in materials, and you're talking about maybe $5/hour of work minus material costs. I've never vectorized an image and maybe the plotters out there can get it done a bit quicker but I doubt it's much different.

With all that being said, I don't dye to make money. But I also don't dye to lose money. I dye because I love to dye, and a paying customer offsets the cost of dyeing for the most part, and give me new ideas, new challenges, and plastic to put dye on. Not to mention how much fun it is to give somebody their disc back and see their face light up, it's like giving gifts at Christmas. But to have someone come on here and say I don't care about quality just whoever can do the work the cheapest, by the way can you spend your free time working on my images for me, for no pay? So that I can give whoever undercuts your offer a dollar or two?

My rate is $10 for a single color which can go up for detail of a cut. I've gladly gone down to $5 for many people to get more of my art out there on the course and to make people around me happy. And there are dyes I've done which are known by name on the course that I only did for $5, but that was my offer to do a dye cheap, not someone coming in and saying here do this, cheaper than that guy. Low bid process do not work, and you get what you pay for. I'll do it for a buck if you want me to, but I will put in exactly a dollar's worth of work. Which honestly isn't true because I am not willing to do work that isn't my best. Which is why I would not touch this with a ten foot pole, you want a dyer than hire a dyer, not the cheapest labor you can find.

I actually wrote something similar to this to you twice before my initial response and deleted it both times. My best advice to you if you are still reading this, is if you think this is so simple and easy. Read for five minutes, spend $10 on a cheap pot to dye in, and a pack of dye, get in on the free vinyl, and do the dye yourself. You'd be amazed at what you can do, with the guys around here helping you. There is an amazing support group here that will help you through the bumps as long as your willing to put in the effort reading and listening to what they have to say. I spent three weeks just reading before I attempted my first dye. This way, not only can you get this dye done for $10, you'll be able to do other dyes also.

lxdawg25, i dont know where to start. i didnt mean to insult you or anyone else by ANY means. i apologize if i offended or insaulted anyone but i used to dye. i got 2 free sample rolls and used those up and befor ei could get more Rit changed on me and i doesnt work for me anymore but when i was dying, i was doing it for anywhere from $5-$10. i think the most i ever charged was $12. and like you said, you charge $10 for 1 color and this isnt that complicated of a design. i have cut it out 3 times trying to get the new Rit to work. different methods, plastics, vinyl and nothing worked so i gave up.

Tyler, I just responded to your pm but honestly, just look for the right dye and you should be fine, it takes some time but I found rite aide to be a good source of old dye due to the fact that they keep it in stock but don't have alot of turnover.

Really if you have the ability, I think dying it yourself is the best bet, I am willing to work with ya and even do it for a bit less and help you out if you're willing to do some of the leg work, it just seems like instead of shipping a disc back and forth across the country it'd be easier for you to take care of it. Sorry if that seemed over the top, and I thought that you had dyed in the past so I held off at first, as I remembered some of your posts. It just seems to me like alot of folks have come in here recently asking for cheap dyes and usually wanting something much more elaborate. I don't think any of us are here to work for cheap but to perfect a craft and push the limits of ours and each others abilities. Like I said I will do the work because I like it, but my biggest desire is to do something new and get to the level of the guild masters!

Also look for the ND on the packaging, is more time consuming than just grabbing a pack off the shelf, but is worth it. If the ND is on the bag of powder (open the box, just be gentle and the store won't mind) or on the lid of liquid, if it has ND it won't take to poly carbonate.

Geeeez... 10$ is the going rate for a simple one color dye, and this one is simple. Tyler's more than capable of doing this himself but said in his first post he wanted to pay for it.

Here's the thing folks, part of this forum is to sell dyed discs. Whether it's to pay for your hobby or to buy beer makes no difference. When a potential customer posts a request, respond yes or move on to the next post, PLEASE!

If you still haven't got anyone Tyler Pm me.

$10 is fine, asking for us to undercut one another under $10 IMHO is not, like I said I was gonna keep it to myself but he asked, I explained, I've already pm'ed him on this also, and even went as far to offer to do it for less if he was so inclined to do some of the leg work because I know Tyler is capable. As far as the purpose of this forum I thought the marketplace was the place to sell discs. This is a place to discuss ideas, techniques, and to show off. Having people come in here to start an open low bidding war is only going to ensure that the value of dyes goes even further down as the the quality dyers such as yourself will continually be undersold by quicker sloppier dyers. A few may be willing to pay but not all. If you offer to dye at $10 and I offer to dye at $10 I would 100% expect someone to pick you everytime, as they should. That's why I'm willing to keep posting my work, and waiting for jobs that a)fit me, and b) fall in a time when the guild dyers are too busy to fill requests.

I was not trying to start anything, I just don't think this is an appropriate way to commission work. Contact a dyer you trust to do it for you at a price you can afford, if they can't move on, don't pit them against one another in a bidding war.

Sorry just my 2 cents and if feel that a forum is the appropriate place for that 2 cents

I'm no dyer and never will be, no patience. I do however admire the dyers on this website for the time, effort, and creativity(some of the dye combos are awesome). But if you don't want to get paid to dye for someone, don't do it and don't respond over and over.

<quote>i need a 1 color die, cheapest guy gets it</quote>

I personally felt this was a poor way of asking the question and had two different long responses written and went against that but still felt that I wanted to post my opinion on said without outright jumping down tyler's throat, I'm not trying to seem like an ogre, and I know I'm long winded so it comes across as more impassioned than intended. So to answer your question I felt that a response of disapproval was necessary, but did not want to be a preachy a'hole either. In the end I pretty much failed in that, but I still stand by my point, and honestly would expect a guild dyer to be more concerned with it than I am, as a means of upholding the integrity of the work done here and what the guild stands for the cheapest dyer gets the job should be severely frowned upon, and making a point that you get what you pay for is 100% true. I'm not the only one who responded similarly, I just felt a need to defend and explain mine (and I would guess a few others) pov, which I think was only fair to tyler, instead of just dismissing him for no reason. And like I said I even went as far as to offer if he provided the image ready to print and work on, sized appropriately and in a good quality, I would do it for half of the "going rate" as I wanted to help him get the dye done and I just enjoy dyeing as I know for a fact we all do.

See again I tried to keep it short and just fail. I'm going to bed lest I sit here and type all night.

Latest posts