• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a new midrange disc..

Just to be different I'm going to toss the Gator out there. I know that they're supposed to be overstable, but in my experience, these things drop like a stone the second they start to fade. If it makes a difference I've got a CFR Gator...although I don't think I could ever throw the Gator nearly as far as my Buzzz, Roc or Gremlin (GM), if you're looking to get rid of fade, this might work for you.

lol @ recommending an overstable disc to reduce fade

Alright, my usual midrange disc is a Star San Marino Roc.. it's a good disc, but lately I've been finding it really doesn't have the characteristics I want for drives. I can now drive midranges out to roughly 280ft., but at that range my Roc just isn't performing well. It's solidly-stable, except in a headwind where it will turn over on me, but it also has too much fade. At a distance of ~260ft forward, I really want a midrange that doesn't fade ~30ft. off-line by the time it lands. I guess I'm really looking for a stable midrange (as stable as my Roc) with less fade, that can cut through a headwind better. Does such a disc exist, and can anyone recommend anything?

It sounds like it could be you rather than the disc. Rocs aren't very flippy, and at 260' even a beefy headwind shouldn't be turning them unless very well worn. How high are you throwing it for 260'? If it's fading too much in calm conditions maybe try throwing lower, and make sure you throw nose down too. Does the disc keep penetrating forward as it lands or does it stall in the air and drop?

lol @ recommending an overstable disc to reduce fade

Have you ever thrown one?I don't care what the flight charts say, when I toss this disc it drops like a stone as soon as it starts to fade. Try to throw a sky hyzer and it's coming straight down....

esp buzz is actually more stable than the z buzz,,,better plastic too. Its opposite of alot of other discs where the z plastic is more stable. For some reason with the buzz its actually less stable than the esp.

...start DX Roc rotating like many people do.

If you cycle Rocs then you have an overstable Roc in your bag when you need it, you have a straight Roc when you don't want any fade, and you have an understable Roc when you need it. Plus DX is inexpensive. And all your midranges will feel tha same in your hand.

Beat Rocs are no slouches in a headwind.

Buzzz is a good alternate option.

It sounds like it could be you rather than the disc. Rocs aren't very flippy, and at 260' even a beefy headwind shouldn't be turning them unless very well worn. How high are you throwing it for 260'? If it's fading too much in calm conditions maybe try throwing lower, and make sure you throw nose down too. Does the disc keep penetrating forward as it lands or does it stall in the air and drop?

I can certainly accept the possibility that some of it may be me. Of all of my discs, if I'm going to pick up any OAT on release it'll be with my Roc. It's something to do with the rim shape.. I haven't figured out exactly what the issue is, but I have a hard time getting the stacked grip on my Roc that I can with the drivers. The winds are definitely beefy, though.. my home course is *very* windy.. there's a reason the local club is called the 'Westy Winds'. The particular hole I'm recalling the too much fade incident with also can't be thrown totally level. It takes a height of roughly 20ft. at the peak to clear the trees in the fairway. I just don't expect a midrange to fade as hard on that line as something like my Teebird, which it's doing. :p

I'm not going to argue with the Buzzz suggestion, but if the Buzzz turns out to be too understable for you, have you ever tried throwing a Cro? Another option might be the Vibram Ridge "driving putter" that everyone is raving about.

esp buzz is actually more stable than the z buzz,,,better plastic too. Its opposite of alot of other discs where the z plastic is more stable. For some reason with the buzz its actually less stable than the esp.

I've thrown dozens of each type and I must say there is no definitive pattern with regard to Z/ESP stability. For some reason though, my most stable Buzzzes in BOTH plastics have been the same color light green. It has more to do with the shape of the disc than the plastic, but even this is not a sure tell. One thing for sure is that a Buzzz always flies like a Buzzz, they just differ a little in the speed it takes to get the flight. I usually recommend the Z as most stable because the ESP breaks in faster for sure.

I'm not going to argue with the Buzzz suggestion, but if the Buzzz turns out to be too understable for you, have you ever tried throwing a Cro? Another option might be the Vibram Ridge "driving putter" that everyone is raving about.

Heh, all putters are "driving putters" or short range drivers, just some people haven't figured that out yet.

I really like the Ridge for tough shots that require a line one way or another. For a straight on shot, I have been really digging the Star San Marino Roc recently. It has just enough LSS to S for a straight finish from the original line or to hold a solid line with predictable fade. I will use the Ridge up to 275 feet and the Roc up to 315. Anything more than that and I consider using a TeeBird.

I love to rip the Latitude 64 Core out for my 250 foot shots. It is slightly more understable than the roc, but I can hyzer flip that disc and it goes a long way without much power with little fade at the end.

If you want another "different" vote, I would throw the E Warrior out there. I started with Rocs, then went to Buzzzs for awhile, so I have thrown both quite a bit. The Warrior is closer to the Roc in stability but feels more like a Buzzz in the hand. It has some very predictable fade and I haven't had issues with turning it into wind yet. The Warrior would actually compliment a Buzzz or Element very well.

I had a very domey z-buzzz and it flew more like a wasp than a buzzz. It was much more overstable than my other buzzzs. Don't get me wrong I still loved it and it had it's place but it was definiately not the same.

I've thrown dozens of each type and I must say there is no definitive pattern with regard to Z/ESP stability. For some reason though, my most stable Buzzzes in BOTH plastics have been the same color light green. It has more to do with the shape of the disc than the plastic, but even this is not a sure tell. One thing for sure is that a Buzzz always flies like a Buzzz, they just differ a little in the speed it takes to get the flight. I usually recommend the Z as most stable because the ESP breaks in faster for sure.

wrong

if its the same weight and both brand new,,,z is less stable. its a fact.