• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a new midrange disc..

I'm really looking for a stable midrange (as stable as my Roc) with less fade, that can cut through a headwind better. Does such a disc exist, and can anyone recommend anything?

I'd say a Wasp. Into the headwind it will fly more like a buzzz

wrong

if its the same weight and both brand new,,,z is less stable. its a fact.

I don't think you can make that a rule.
It is probably true in your experience but each individual disc will fly differently depending on its final shape after it cools. Sometimes ESP wil be more stable than Z. Sometimes 5 ESPs will all be more overstable than 5 Zs. But a much larger sampling is needed before you can make broad generalizations like, "z is less stable."
Discspeed had thrown more Buzzzes than anyone I know. I would trust his opinion on this matter.

You might want to try a Drone. It's Discraft's most overstable in their insect-midrange lineup.

Probably won't get as much distance as with a Buzz, however.

I don't think you can make that a rule.
It is probably true in your experience but each individual disc will fly differently depending on its final shape after it cools. Sometimes ESP wil be more stable than Z. Sometimes 5 ESPs will all be more overstable than 5 Zs. But a much larger sampling is needed before you can make broad generalizations like, "z is less stable."
Discspeed had thrown more Buzzzes than anyone I know. I would trust his opinion on this matter.

In general, experience and Discraft agree that Z is more overstable than ESP. Discraft even acknowledges it in their flight ratings.

Discraft stability in terms of plastic, from under to over: Pro-D<X<ESP<Z
How pronounced the difference is depends on the mold.

Alright, my usual midrange disc is a Star San Marino Roc.. it's a good disc, but lately I've been finding it really doesn't have the characteristics I want for drives. I can now drive midranges out to roughly 280ft., but at that range my Roc just isn't performing well. It's solidly-stable, except in a headwind where it will turn over on me, but it also has too much fade. At a distance of ~260ft forward, I really want a midrange that doesn't fade ~30ft. off-line by the time it lands. I guess I'm really looking for a stable midrange (as stable as my Roc) with less fade, that can cut through a headwind better. Does such a disc exist, and can anyone recommend anything?

If you haven't bought one yet I have a few. Maybe I'll see you at Westy this week or Dexter?

If you haven't bought one yet I have a few. Maybe I'll see you at Westy this week or Dexter?

Hi bthoma,

Yeah, I expect to play Westy probably tomorrow evening, and then either Dexter or the Grove on Saturday. :) I'd definitely like to test out a Z Buzzz. :)

i've been thinking of replacing (or maybe even removing) the buzzz but every time i mention it to anyone they look at me like i'm crazy

I would say a comet buzzz or a shark

gotta agree with a buzzz. just got one a couple weeks ago and it's such a versatile disc you can't go wrong. I also like the star cro alot but it's more overstable.

max weight flx buzzz at that range...mako is straight with no fade if you can throw it properly. stratus can be hyzer-flipped...drone is at the overstable spectrum of my midranges.

Heavy Buzzz, like everyone else said or if you want to be original try the lat.64 core. Just ordered one in the gold line plastic. I've heard they are really really nice, mines a 177.