• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an overstable fairway driver

If you are looking for a true fairway driver overstable go Banshee, just more stable than the Leo, Teebird/Eagle, and I'd go either Star or Champion. Although not sure if Banshee is in Star, I know it's in Champ.

Just champ and DX. Star would be sweet though!

Predator is this shizzz, very versitile and overstable

Is it just me or are some people still not getting what OVERstable means? teebird/tracker/ascent/gazelle <--- Not overstable! You can make them "act" overstable by having less armspeed/throwing with hyzer but none of these are overstable in their intended use.

I think this has been made clear but preds and firebirds are not fairways although they usually have the same range unless you have a monster arm. So the correct answer would be whippet/banshee/trident

I understand that the regular gazelle is not overstable, but I find the cfr gazelle is a more comfortable to grip and a little bit later fading banshee for me. But I'm not a big or even a medium arm, so it might behave differently for soemone who needs a champ banshee for this slot.

Don't forget the viper also. That's kind of a weird disc though. I'd place it closer to the banshee than the whippet, but I think it fades harder than a banshee and more like a whippet. It's sort of like a whippet with more turn, so it winds up getting out further like a banshee, but taking more of a turn slightly and fade extremely hard route. It seems a little more susceptible to turning in headwind, and so I have found it to be less predictably controllable unless I throw it with a hyzer release.

The DX whippets straighten out too quickly. I got a glow and it's not so bad, but pretty domey. The champs are so expensive though. But I think of the whippet as more of a midrange.

The DX whippets straighten out too quickly. I got a glow and it's not so bad, but pretty domey. The champs are so expensive though. But I think of the whippet as more of a midrange.

The Whippet is more of a utility disc, its great to be used for a lot of different shots. Its a speed 6 and right there with your Gazelles and Leopards. Its a great disc that will not fail you when you are looking for overstable. A viper is also a good disc but that is a little too stable for some people.

Remember that the OP has a weak arm, and doesn't throw far. What for some of you guys would be simply neutral, might act stable or over stable form his arm speed and distance. Plus it depends on what shots he is trying to execute.

Then throw a Whippet X. I actually throw one - its even more overstable. I also consider it a midrange in my bag - go back and forth between the Whippet and the Firebird. Learning how to throw these discs correctly changed my driving and approach game. Now only if I could putt.

Stop all that jive and you putt really well. You're damn close to being a really freaking good putter. Just relax and be confident.

Sloppy, I don't think you need a monster arm to throw a Whippet or other OS fairway driver correctly. We are talking about predictable fade here and that is what an OS disc is going to provide you.

Is it just me or are some people still not getting what OVERstable means? teebird/tracker/ascent/gazelle <--- Not overstable! You can make them "act" overstable by having less armspeed/throwing with hyzer but none of these are overstable in their intended use.

He is also throwing a leopard and wanting something more stable. A teebird is stable and if he is new, throwing a leopard decent but it fades a good bit. A teebird/gazelle/tracker might be better than a Banshee or Viper which are SLOW firebirds flight path wise. He also already said a fireckn is TOO stable for him. In this type of discusion its more of what they throw than what a disc is rated or classified as due to arm speed and snap variances.

I carry a 150g Champ & a 172ish Star. The 150 is somewhat of a sentimental favorite, however nothing beats it when I'm deep in the s@%t and all I have room for is a wrist snap. And when there is no wind or a little tail wind it goes forever.

All of the discs mentioned are much more stable than his previous disc mentioned, but not to the point of meat hooking unless he goes too high in weight.

Simple, keep trying to throw the 150 leopard. It will teach you more than jumping around to more stable/ heavier discs all though they have there place.

Yep. Yep. Yep. Those that throw 450' generally don't get it. Us noodles know.

A nice compliment to my Leopards. Viper maybe? Any recommendations?

I am going by the OP's original post. He is clearly asking for OS recommendations. His example is the flippin' Viper. Part of the reason he probably didn't jive with the FB or XXX is that he does not have the arm speed to make them fly properly. However, a banshee, because it is slower, should be more workable. I am simply responding to his request, not trying to read into a few simple statements from him that he can't handle the disc that he is looking for.

Banshee was a good call. It's a happy overstable for most of us noodles.

Sloppy, next time you play with us and a guy named Sean is playing...ask to see his Banshee. I'll just leave it at that.

I am going by the OP's original post.

Exactly - he wanted an OS fairway driver option - Whippet, Banshee. How to throw it is another story.