• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an overstable fairway driver

xxx is the shizzle. I have a 172 yellow GL. I got a thumber ace with it a couple of weeks ago. Forehand or backhand it is $$$$$.

I throw a 166 DX Leopard and I just bought a 165 DX Firebird. It is challenging, but really nice.

BANSHEE for overstable

Maybe a Champ TB or Eagle-X for stable to slightly OS

Last edited:
Are you looking for something MORE stable than a Leo or something OVERSTABLE? Take your pick there are a ton of either. But the correct answer to whatever it is you're asking is teebird.

What plastic is your leopard?

If you want something that is the same speed look at the gazelle. A little faster would be the teebird or eagle. I think the viper will be more stable than you are looking for.

leopard understable
teebird stable
firebird overstable

the 3 Innova classics. Cannot go wrong with these.

Are Leopards your primary fairway driver? Do you also carry a stable fairway driver, like the Gazelle or Teebird?

But by your comments of trying the XXX and Firebird, I'll assume you are looking for a true overstable. Consider the Whippet...it's very overstable, but it's also a speed 6, so getting it up to speed isn't all that hard.

Vibram Ascent is a good stable-overstable Fairway driver. Depending on the distance you need, the Hornet is a good overstable mid-range that can handle some torque.

Another emphatic vote for the Champion Banshee! I have used and loved the Banshee since the first day I threw I disc and nothing beats it for a controllable overstable driver. Get one.

While I do love the Teebird and have several in my bag, it probably isn't what you're looking for. It is more stable than a leopard but not very overstable as far as all discs go. I carry a firebird for when I want something more stable than my teebird or am throwing into a headwind. If you want something about as fast as your leopard the champion banshee is a great choice

I found that Predators, although supposedly faster than something like a Leopard, are still pretty manageable to throw as far as overstable discs go. I will say that right now, though; I am in the midst of auditioning a C-PD and a xXx for utility overstable more than driving. I seem to be playing with the idea of more molds lately to a degree though, as my "fairways" look like this:

Pro Leo: finess shots, stop gap between mids and faster fairway, "super control driver" cheap and easy to replace

River: more of the typical understable fairway slot for me

P-PD: straighter more reliable in wind than River. Will see if stages fill in a small gap between River and C-PD

C-PD: Little more wind resistance. hoping to be more of my ESP Pred like in flight

xXx: meathook, skip shots, utility.

^ Just on tryouts. A more minimal me has gone with just the ESP Pred and the Pro Leo. Maybe a Z Pred for utility.

Latest posts