• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think I'll take up Bowling.

Bowling? That's an indoor sport.
Part of the reason why I play is to spend more time outside.
Disc golf is my daily meditation.
If a bad round makes you want to quit, you're doing it wrong.

I had one of those on Monday. I was doing a "practice round", which is where I throw three discs from the tee and play each of them as a separate score. One with a Pure, one with a Comet, and one with the disc of my choice (a FLX Buzzz this week). I double bogeyed all three on the first hole, which is about a 200' ace run, and I knew I was in for a long day. The rest of the round was nothing but missed putts, awkward drives, rollaways, chain outs, and wind. I put the Comet on a beautiful anhyzer line for what looked like an ace run, but it found a 2" wide tree at the last possible second and dropped like a stone (I'm surprised it didn't roll into the lake). Then I turned over the Pure and Comet like crazy on the final hole and realized that I was throwing too hard. So I relaxed and drove a beauty with the Buzzz that was immediately knocked down by some wind. I felt like I was relaxed enough though, so I kept going... And proceeded to miss at least four easy putts on that hole.

Despite all of that though, I didn't think even once that I wanted to quit this game. I quit for the rest of the day, but I'll be back out again as soon as I get a chance. It's not about the score. It's about getting out there, and it's about what you learn. I learned (much too late) that I overcompensate when everything goes wrong. If I just relax I might have a chance... Or miss four easy putts.

Bowling? That's an indoor sport.
Part of the reason why I play is to spend more time outside.
Disc golf is my daily meditation.
If a bad round makes you want to quit, you're doing it wrong.

:clap:

I've spent so much time outside this fall, in all kinds of weather. Beneficial.

One shot at a time works for me. A crap drive opens the possibility for an amazing approach shot.

I've had plenty rough days on courses, but have found that those are usually the days that I learn something useful to my game. 2 weeks ago I had one of the best discin days in my short time of throwing, the next day was the worst. I realised that, just like in bowling, you have to stay relaxed. The more upset you get, the worse you throw. I'm 5'9" 165lbs, and I'm not letting a 170g piece of plastic kick my butt!
Learn from the bad days, you'll have much more fun on the good ones!

Story of my life right there. When you can't drive or putt for crap it helps to have a good approach game.

I can relate to this! Plus as Monkeypaws referred to, a bad shot is just a great recovery waiting to happen. I've had one shot really change a round. Sometimes you can really feel the momentum, good or bad, out there.

A few years ago, I played a tournament, at a time when my wife and I were having major problems, so my head was not in the game, and I shot horrible . I was ready to quit after that, so I took a month off from playing, and that helped me make a fresh start. I feel that if your game suffers really bad, take a week or two off, and do something else and then some back to it. I also hit the practice field after a bad round to see what I was doing wrong, and see how to fix it.

69 out of 72, only a female player new to the sport and 2 kids did worse then me...put up 3 rds in the low 80s...but I had fun doing it, my first major tourney. Either you just enjoy playing or you dont, but I am pushing for a intermediate or rec catergory over here...I am NOT advanced!

I already bowl on Saturday nights... Bah. My DG League keeps doing glow rounds on Saturdays that I can't make it to now. Suxx.

Either you just enjoy playing or you dont,

Yea, I hear you loud and clear. You know you're not ever going to be the next Climo, but you have fun, and strive to get better at the same time.

A bad round of disc golf is better than lounging on the couch.

Not exactly related to OP's thread, but still ironic. I just was hired at a bowling alley on Wednesday. I now will be playing less disc golf due to working in the bowling alley, and thus bowling more often. I'd rather be discing !

I know the feeling! I've been putting in a ton of work in the field and at the course, trying to clean up my form. But now my distance is down, I'm still inconsistent and I feel like Im even more inconsistent now, and no matter what I do OAT keeps showing up in my form.

I just got done with an extremely disappointing field session. And it's making me think maybe I should stop trying to improve and just go back to being a torque monkey. Competitive sports have always been fun to me, but it usually came easy to me... This is frustrating and even though I want to play tournaments and be competitive, working this hard on my technique for months now, and seeing no improvement really makes me want to stop putting in the work in the field, ignore conventional wisdom about technique, and just go back to being a torque monkey wandering the course.

/rant over

(Even though it is frustrating, I do have enough perspective to realize it's just a silly hobby and my life is really darn great anyways!)