• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

I'm travelling to see family and stopped in a PIAS to see what they had. Found what I think is an older Valk. Nothing is legible where the factory worker would have marked it.

There are patent numbers, the old school *INNOVA FACTORY SECOND* stamp, and its flat with a zipper top. Looks like three or more people have owned it, but it's an 8/10 if you don't count the ink under the rim and the flight plate.

It looks like a Valk to me. I can't get a good profile shot. Assuming it is a Valk, is there a way to tell which run this is from?

59d6ce98-3e26-49c2-90d6-5f9ef88de1c9_zps1131f673.jpg

8e85e356-cee9-4651-af7b-35873d1a33f6_zps30b8fc46.jpg

It appears you have a zipper top. It will be either a 4X or early run 5X. The top will be very flat regardless. Later in the 5X run the dome appeared and the zipper vanished, not sure why. I have about a dozen of the disc from all 3 runs.
I attached a pic, the blue is a 5X, the orange is a 4X.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 54
Just a regular DX Gators. They made bar stamp DX Gators all the way up to just a couple years ago.

You mean sold them up to just a couple of years ago. The DX bar stamps ended around 2003. I think the DX Gators were slow sellers due to the fact that they are not the most useful tool in the shed.

Side note, I picked up a bar stamp Gator in a DX lot and the very first time I hit a tree with it, it taco'ed just inside the rim. It still flies fine but maybe they got a reputation back in the day and players migrated to premium plastic. Not sure as I didn't enter the sport til 2012.

You mean sold them up to just a couple of years ago. The DX bar stamps ended around 2003. I think the DX Gators were slow sellers due to the fact that they are not the most useful tool in the shed.

Side note, I picked up a bar stamp Gator in a DX lot and the very first time I hit a tree with it, it taco'ed just inside the rim. It still flies fine but maybe they got a reputation back in the day and players migrated to premium plastic. Not sure as I didn't enter the sport til 2012.

I thought they didn't stamp discs until they were pretty much ready to go out? That's how you can still find old SDS Destroyers with current Avery stamps. You could be right, but I heard somewhere that the stamps didn't all change at the same time and some took longer than others to transition, with the Gator stamp being the last one to change. Would be interesting to get a clarification/confirmation on that one.

I thought they didn't stamp discs until they were pretty much ready to go out? That's how you can still find old SDS Destroyers with current Avery stamps. You could be right, but I heard somewhere that the stamps didn't all change at the same time and some took longer than others to transition, with the Gator stamp being the last one to change. Would be interesting to get a clarification/confirmation on that one.

Yes, many blanks sit around until they are ready to sell as Innova doesn't know if they will end up at retail stores on on the tourney circut.

You will find newer stamps on older discs (CFR's mainly) but I don't know of any older stamps on newer discs.

I have a Vibram Lace with a number 1 stamped into the back, just below the 'made in usa' stamp. I'm pretty new to everything, but I haven't seen another lace with the 1 stamp. Does this mean anything at all? Just curious thanks!

I just got a misprint pack from dynamic discs and one of the discs that came with it had a "Hyzernauts" stamp on the front, and just said "Swedish Misprint" on the back. It was a westside disc in VIP plastic a greenish yellow color, and appeared to be a high speed distance driver. Anyone seen these before, or know what particular disc it is?

Nate Doss LE Buzzz gt?

So I have a disc I picked up a while back and the story I got at the time was that discraft custom made and hand delivered to Nate Doss a handful of cryztal buzz-gt. When I got this this disc they were not for sale anywhere and as far as I know not being mass produced. The disc is blue cryztal is a buzzz gt with no tooling and the initials ND written on the inside rim. Does anyone know of this story? Anyway to confirm or discredit? Any idea what this disc is worth?

Attachments

• IMG_20140601_210937_414-1.jpg
    IMG_20140601_210937_414-1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 90
They were a limited run fundraiser for the Michigan clubs (Discraft gives them the option of something special every year). A couple people were selling them on here.

So I have a disc I picked up a while back and the story I got at the time was that discraft custom made and hand delivered to Nate Doss a handful of cryztal buzz-gt. When I got this this disc they were not for sale anywhere and as far as I know not being mass produced. The disc is blue cryztal is a buzzz gt with no tooling and the initials ND written on the inside rim. Does anyone know of this story? Anyway to confirm or discredit? Any idea what this disc is worth?

Discraft has released all kinds of limited releases to help Michigan clubs fundraise. This one is cool for the few discraft collectors out there and reasonably rare due to the run size, but its not currently desired as a thrower and is not likely to be desired as a thrower in the future. This discs association with Nate has no good authentication, and even if it did it wouldn't add significant value. If you are one of the first three or four people to try and sell one of these on facebook, you might get 30+ but I have a hard time seeing these go for more than 20-25 due to the reasons above.

Question time!

I picked up an ESP Predator yesterday, and I immediately noticed that it had a small (~4 inches long) section of raised crosshatches on the inside of the rim. Do all Predators have that feature? What is the purpose of it?

Thanks!

Question time!

I picked up an ESP Predator yesterday, and I immediately noticed that it had a small (~4 inches long) section of raised crosshatches on the inside of the rim. Do all Predators have that feature? What is the purpose of it?

Thanks!
There was a lawsuit a few years back. I guess it is illegal to have a patent number on something after the patent expires. Inhibits free trade or something; make people think they can't copy something that there is no patent on. Anyway, Innova and Discraft still had the old patent number on old molds. I think Innova was still putting the patent number on new molds. They got sued. Discraft cross hatched out patent numbers on tooling as a first step before they could get them 100% off the mold. It has no purpose other that to keep Discraft out of court.

Can someone explain the differences between the CA and CAL tooled 11x Champion Teebirds? Timeline, flight, and plastics?

Latest posts