• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

thanks for the replies. Hope these shots post ok. I studied underneath this disc and found what appears to be a worn down and partially visible patent # and company address raised in the plastic which I think corresponds to innova.

I can't make out all the #s of the patent stamp but have to wonder if the various disc models got their own stamp. (dont mind the strips of tape, this thing is about to explode, like that stuffed animal you loved as a kid until its eyeballs were hanging out etc)
They sometimes used those ink stamps on custom stamped discs in the mid-late 90's to identify the mold, so the Stingray stamp on a custom stamped disc would have been somewhat common.

Also the Stingray top back then had this tell that the part that said "Innova Champion Discs Inc" was not very deep and hard to read but the part right below it that said "San Marino, CA" was very clear. You can see that in the tooling on that disc, so the disc clearly is using the Stingray top.

So, nice Stingray.

Also the Stingray top back then had this tell that the part that said "Innova Champion Discs Inc" was not very deep and hard to read but the part right below it that said "San Marino, CA" was very clear. You can see that in the tooling on that disc, so the disc clearly is using the Stingray top.

So, nice Stingray.

Interesting fact about the Stingray tooling. I had not noticed that before.
This motivated me to look at some of my Stingrays. Most all of them have the tooling idiosyncrasy that you mention, except for an amoeba stamp Stingray, in which both lines are legible.

And, looking at a few more discs, it turns out that I have some Scorpions, and a Moray, with the same tooling as Stingrays, which would seem to indicate that they shared the same bottom mold piece.

Last edited:
Interesting fact about the Stingray tooling. I had not noticed that before.
This motivated me to look at some of my Stingrays. Most all of them have the tooling idiosyncrasy that you mention, except for an amoeba stamp Stingray, in which both lines are legible.

And, looking at a few more discs, it turns out that I have some Scorpions, and a Moray, with the same tooling as Stingrays, which would seem to indicate that they shared the same bottom mold piece.
Morays if you look at them are just blunt nose Stingrays. The top, wing and core are all the same, they just used a nose spacer to blunt up the nose. Scorpions are weird since they have a different diameter and shouldn't share mold pieces with the Stingray, but that's the distinctive Stingray core tooling on them so...just something else I don't know.

all lightnings have rings inside the inner rim edge where your fingertips are.

and no, DD j. rusco up in emporia is not the same DD from jan sobel / destiny/ dynamic disc

20200623_090609-scaled.jpg

and no, DD j. Rusco up in Emporia is not the same DD from Jan Sobel / Destiny/ Dynamic Disc

Can you do best to show off the Side View and bottom? That will help those with the telling of what brand the mold is.

and no, DD j. rusco up in emporia is not the same DD from jan sobel / destiny/ dynamic disc

A lot of the Lightning molds had the grip rings, but not all of them. Most of the Lightning discs had no tooling, but some of them actually had the disc name as tooling. There aren't a lot of absolutes with Lightning Discs.

Can you do best to show off the Side View and bottom? That will help those with the telling of what brand the mold is.
I think he's just showing off an old Destiny/Dynamic golf disc; I mean the stamp says what disc it is.

Curious if this disc ever made it into production?

adc7d157247342c183083fc77623d9d0.jpg

daa6577e2f7b7784d7f8e610d71a4346.jpg

My buddy and I loved throwing it back and forth as a warmup before the tournament rounds. I'd love to have one that isn't the tournament stamp to throw around now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if this disc ever made it into production?

adc7d157247342c183083fc77623d9d0.jpg

daa6577e2f7b7784d7f8e610d71a4346.jpg

My buddy and I loved throwing it back and forth as a warmup before the tournament rounds. I'd love to have one that isn't the tournament stamp to throw around now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it did, as I'm guessing that DS in this case stands for Doggy Style. Innova and Latitude have similar versions as well.

Have two discs, with the stamp cleaned off - and was hoping someone could help identify:

First up is a disc that looks to be from the Cherry Hill Challenge, 2009. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
Second up is a disc that looks to be from the Golden State Classic. The type and spacing looks similar to one I've seen that is a Ken Climo 11x TeeBird (or so says this: EBAY AD

Any ideas? Thanks.
IMAGES HERE

Trying to ID this disc. It flies like it's an M4 but I can't find anything like it out there on the internet. I posted pics of the only markings on it. "179 M4G"

Not super familiar with prodigy discs, so any help would be great.

https://imgur.com/a/tegnilJ

Prodigy help...

Trying to ID this disc that was just given to me, stamp looks like "CAM" or "CRM"...

image.jpg

Unknown Gazelle please help!

This site seems to be my last chance to get this gazelle identified. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• C1DF317D-AE3C-47A8-B5FA-4CD3045CDD01.jpg
    C1DF317D-AE3C-47A8-B5FA-4CD3045CDD01.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 49818FDA-7149-4FA6-BB20-2F82418F8EC4.jpg
    49818FDA-7149-4FA6-BB20-2F82418F8EC4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts