• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideal Terrain for Disc Golf

What is your favorite terrrain to play on?

• Flat and Lightly Wooded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flat and Moderately Wooded

• Flat and Heavily Wooded

• Moderately Hilly and Lightly Wooded

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Moderately Hilly and Moderately Wooded

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Moderately Hilly and Heavily Wooded

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Very Hilly and Lightly Wooded

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Very Hilly and Moderately Wooded

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Very Hilly and Heavily Wooded

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • It doesn't matter as long as the course has a good design

Votes: 11 12.8%

• Total voters
Moderately Hilly and Lightly Wooded. I really enjoy Big Oak trees with lush wide open mowed grass. It gives lots of shot options while never losing any discs. That said I enjoy all types.

Very hilly moderately wooded. 2nd choice would be very hilly very wooded.

^same. ideal vs favorite though will get some varied answers depending if they read the title or OP.

I am not sure others would agree those are the ideal conditions :)

I like elevation, and I like a mix of different levels of foliage. I love tight technical holes and I think that when you mix in holes that are moderately wooded you get better variety. I voted very hilly moderately wooded.

Mont Du Lac is very nice and very fun. Only wish the teeboxes were better. They were really in sad shape. Eagles Peak also had very tough navigation as a first timer. Not a course I would want to play as my home course but was a great experience.

Moderate hill, moderate woods. The variety of up, down, flat, left, right, technical, open, etc. has you throwing a variety of discs and shots. Keeps it from getting boring.

You asked what's the ideal terrain is... IMO, the more variety, the better, so...
terrain that provides the most variety is best. That property would allow you to use elevation in several ways:
1) A few holes with BIG uphills and downhill tee shots and upshots to the green, not just 10 ft elevation change, but something that really makes you suck wind getting up there.
2) Moderately rolling terrain on a couple of fairways.
3) Some pins on small hills, slopes, and near drop offs for rollaway risk/reward
4) A couple of flat fairways, maybe even some that play flat, but drop off parallel to the fairway, so elevation may be a factor.
5) plays across gullies, and over rises to a blind pin placement.

A couple densely wooded, a couple of long open holes with just a few well placed trees to remove a line or guard the pin, some lightly wooded and some moderately wooded.

If you have a piece of property like that, CALL JOHN HOUCK IMMEDIATELY!

^ since this wasn't one of the poll options, I selected Very Hilly, Moderately Wooded.

Edit: just realized, I described Flip City.

Last edited:
Ideal terrain should have a range of woodedness---some dense woods, some fairly open woods, and some open areas.

An interesting take on this question is to reverse-engineer it. Think of the top-rated courses, or your personal top-5 or 10, and whether they share the same type terrain.

Very Hilly and Very Wooded. Make it hurt.

How 'bout water?

Having once been part of a search to buy land to build a disc golf course, the features we sought were (1) hills, the bigger the better, (2) both open and wooded areas, and (3) water, either creeks or a pond.

I voted it doesn't matter... which really isn't true. But I do have favorite courses that are mostly open and favorite courses that are densely wooded. Most of my favorites, though, do include moderate or more elevation change.

Edit: Of the actual choices available, I'd probably go with moderately hilly and heavily wooded or very hilly and heavily wooded. Although I would like a couple bomber holes mixed in, even if I can't really bomb.

Last edited:
How 'bout water?

Having once been part of a search to buy land to build a disc golf course, the features we sought were (1) hills, the bigger the better, (2) both open and wooded areas, and (3) water, either creeks or a pond.

Same here David. We got all three at the new house.
I opted for the creek over ponds. Muskrats tore up my pond ever year at the old place.

I've never played in the woods, so I can't say that I'd enjoy it. I chose moderately hilly, and lightly wooded.

Wide open with no trees wasn't an option. :D

I love a good wooded hole, but I don't like them so wooded I feel like I can't ever open up during a round and just rip one without having to worry about hitting an 8' gap.

I think Oak Ledges in Massillon Ohio has the ideal amount of trees and elevation in play, it just needs a couple longer holes along the lines of 14, 16 and 1. It has nicely defined fairways, thinned out rough, elevation in play every hole, and tons of trees, but the fairways are all very reasonable and usually offer at least two good routes to the pin. It could use a few par 4's with the same characteristics though.

Very hilly and moderately wooded gets my vote.

I think, Mike, that my love for the woods may partly stem from the fact that I can't throw a Quasar 500'. :D