• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IDYE HELP

Duffmyster

I used IDYE for the first time last night and rinsed it off with warm water and started peeling the vinyl off while the warm water was running over the disc. I've done this a bunch with Rit dye and never had an issue, but this time I had black dye all over the supposed to be clear area of the disc. I tried again and let the next one sit and dry off after I rinsed it. It did much better, but anywhere I picked at the vinyl the dye smeared, and stayed that way. With Rit dye the discs had to be hot to take the dye, but this stuff is insane. Once I have boiled the dye do I need heat at all or can I just turn the heat off and use it indefinitely? Do i have to scrub the disc clean before removing the vinyl? Please help.

I used IDYE for the first time last night and rinsed it off with warm water and started peeling the vinyl off while the warm water was running over the disc. I've done this a bunch with Rit dye and never had an issue, but this time I had black dye all over the supposed to be clear area of the disc. I tried again and let the next one sit and dry off after I rinsed it. It did much better, but anywhere I picked at the vinyl the dye smeared, and stayed that way. With Rit dye the discs had to be hot to take the dye, but this stuff is insane. Once I have boiled the dye do I need heat at all or can I just turn the heat off and use it indefinitely? Do i have to scrub the disc clean before removing the vinyl? Please help.

I would rinse very thoroughly and wash the disc with soap before removing the vinyl.

If it was boiling the dye was just too hot. Never use anything but iDye and never had those problems.

The directions on the packet say to boil the dye, so I did. But I turned it to simmer and waited even for the steam to go away so I wouldn't warp my discs. I'm Using IDYE and the vinyl you recommended, what temp do you heat your dye to? How do you measure it? Thanks for the help.

I've never boiled any iDye. I've mixed it, heated (more like warmed) it up to wear there is trace amounts of steam coming off of it, but I can still place both palms on the outside of my pan w/out burning them, and dropped in the disc. I take these steps regardless of mixing new dye, or re-using dye I mixed up previously - never ran into the problem you've described.

I heat to about 110-115 and use a $7 thermometer from the grocery store. iDye and 651 combo has never had a bad result for me.

I heat to about 110-115 and use a $7 thermometer from the grocery store. iDye and 651 combo has never had a bad result for me.

Thanks, I was going for 140 the old Rit dye boxes said on them. 110 will be much easier and safer on the domes of my discs, Thanks.

I just rinse with cold water and clean the disc (with all non weeded vinyl still in tact) with paper towel until any excess dye is removed. Then I remove it from the water and dry it off completely with vinyl still on. Once there is no more dye coming off on the paper towel, you're good

Yea that dye is ruined. Throw it out along with all your intensifier packets. It will just glob up and ruin your dye.

Latest posts