• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If Nike made DG gear/discs, would you buy it?

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
Think of this situation:

Disc Golf grows to the size that Nike, Reebok, or the larger sporting brands started making their own equipment.

Nike signs Ken Climo and Nate Doss with $250,000 contracts. And releases a line of clothing, bags and discs.

Would you buy their stuff, or would you stick with the traditional DG brands?

Stupid thread, but yes, I would.

:(

I was skateboarding when Nike started making shoes. There was a real backlash in that culture.

I was playing NPPL speedball when the two best pros were signed away from their teams with $100k contracts. There was a lot of bitterness in the forums.

If Disc Golf grows to that size, I've always wondered how the community would react.

Nike uses child labor and doesn't offer its foreign workers a subsistance wage. They are bad. I would not buy their products.

"Oh, the new Nike Pegasus Driver will allow me to throw 400'. I'll take 4 please."

-Sloppydisc

:(

I was skateboarding when Nike started making shoes. There was a real backlash in that culture.

I too was skateboarding when their shoes came out, and my dad even worked for nike at the time so I got a free pair. I remember thinking they were ugly as hell (maybe just because I hated white shoes) and then they fell apart really quickly. It was great that they felt apart because ridicule from fellow skaters was growing (it was middle school after all). When it comes down to it, I want to buy from a company that dedicates themselves to the sport more, not just jumping on whatever is popular.

Totally valid thread.

I wouldn't, b/c knowing Nike their discs would cost $30 at least b/c of their stupid swoosh.

No, I wouldn't. Reason number one...

Nike uses child labor and doesn't offer its foreign workers a subsistance wage. They are bad. I would not buy their products.

Reason number two...

I wouldn't, b/c knowing Nike their discs would cost $30 at least b/c of their stupid swoosh.

Nike = overpriced crap. I wish more people would come to that conclusion on their other products.

Nike headquarters are 5 minutes from my home (Beaverton). Dave Feldberg lives about 20 minutes from my home. Phil Knight has made the Univ of Oregon facilities the best in the country with his wealth. Dave graduated at Oregon and started a DG club there. Maybe these 2 guys will hook up in the next 5 years. And it's safe to say that Nike would be paying its players a lot more than Innova.

Puma might make a mean disc...

No Nike please. I might support Adidas if they used the Trefoil instead of the 3 lines. I just think that symbol kicks ace and I'd like it on a disc. And I'm a cruel mofo, so the younger the children and the lower the wages, the more I enjoy it. :p

And it's safe to say that Nike would be paying its players a lot more than Innova.

True dat. I would love to see the sport get big enough that professional players get paid what they deserve, while ushering in lots of opportunities for more courses (and more products). I probably still wouldn't buy a nike disc, but I would love to see it happen. (Hoping I haven't started a new "disc golf shouldn't get big" debate...)

there disc would be over priced and suck but nike skate ahoes were pretty good and lasted long there running shoes suck

True dat. I would love to see the sport get big enough that professional players get paid what they deserve, while ushering in lots of opportunities for more courses (and more products).
The whole concept of a professional athlete in any sport truly befuddles me. Its something that prior to the 20th century never really existed and in a great deal of the world still doesn't exist. Why do we westerners, and Americans in particular, feel the need to aggrandize athletes with million dollar salaries, while we pay people peanuts to do things that have far greater merit to our society like teach school, put out fires, police our streets, or fight our wars?

Would any of you switch to using Nike golf discs because your favorite disc golfer used them? I'll bet a great deal of the people in our sport don't even know who our top pros are, or have even heard of the PDGA.
The fact is, if Nike never paid Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods or any of their endorsed athletes a dime that they didn't feel they could get a good return on in product sales. If disc golfers in kind don't respond to buying a Nike DG product, they aren't going to be paying any disc golfer bupkus.

Well said Scarp.
I would like to see a pair of decent disc golf shoes made by Innova or Discraft before I would want a disc with a swoooosh on the thing.
A breathable lightweight waterproof shoe with soft tread on most of the bottom and a hard plastic/rubber composite for the 'drag' places where my merrills tear up.

Latest posts